·
Registered
690 Posts
Reactions: Tzzird

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, besides from trying to get food off of my mind, I am just trying to see how others do it.

I've tried to change up my driving style to see if I am able to smooth a leisurely Sunday drive out a little, but it has not really made a difference for me.

Just wanted to find out what others do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The owner's manual states that you don't have to let your foot off the gas pedal when upshifting or downshifting.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For "leisurely Sunday drives", I use P400, D-mode (automatic) and DriveLogic 3 (default setting). Under light throttle, the "computer" shifts at about 2,500-3,000 RPM and is smooth as silk. But, if your SMG is still not "smooth" enough, hard to say what you mean by that, you might want to consider clutch slip detection (pulling both paddles while in N and between 20 and 90 mph, it's in the manual). Beyond that, maybe you need a full clutch adaptation or new clutch hardware. Plenty of threads on clutch issues. You might also consider tranny fluid change/differential lube change (due every 3rd oil change).

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
It's hard to know what you mean but I DD my beast and don't use D mode so I think I get what you're looking for. I also push the M button as soon as I start it since it sets up all the settings the way I like. That means that 100% of the time for spring, summer, and fall I'm on P500S and S6. In the winter I'm P500S and S5 since MDM is on. The thing for me was not having the clutch pedal to control the feathering myself. So when I have passengers in the car I drive differently b/c if I don't I notice they're lunging forward and backward as I row through the gears :) So I tend to lighten up on the throttle before I shift so that when the clutch engages there's not as noticeable of a loss of momentum. When I'm by myself I tend to accelerate a bit more aggressive so when I shift you feel it. Hence the different approach when I have passengers. Note though, there is no requirement to do this. As previously mentioned, the tranny is designed to shift under throttle and acceleration.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the reply. This is NOT about how to drive the car, rather how DO YOU drive the car. I was just curious to see if anyone drives their M5 differently than I do.

I do not lift when I drive, I've tried lifting, but it just don't feel right.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well, besides from trying to get food off of my mind, I am just trying to see how others do it.

I've tried to change up my driving style to see if I am able to smooth a leisurely Sunday drive out a little, but it has not really made a difference for me.

I always shift manually, smooth (for me) is better achieved in manual shifting. Have Euro SMG coding. Performed an SMG reset (aftermarket rims\tires) but I did notice a difference after. I never completely remove my foot off the gas pedal but I do lift up a little when shifting.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks for all the reply. This is NOT about how to drive the car, rather how DO YOU drive the car. I was just curious to see if anyone drives their M5 differently than I do.

I do not lift when I drive, I've tried lifting, but it just don't feel right.
Before I had the Euro SMG flash I always lifted my foot, almost as if I was trying to smooth out the engagement of the gears.
However, now with the Euro SMG the engagement is buttery smooth so there is absolutely no need to lift my foot. Upshifts and downshifts are clunk free with smooth transitions between shifts, so I don't feel any need at all to lift my foot.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Try shift, lift, then gently get back to the throttle but you must wind it out a bit. Car does not like low RPM shifts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2,149 Posts
Any guy on 06/07 software needs to update to the latest SMG software ASAP...

Other then that, when i do drive in manual mode, i lift a little just a touch before shifts and get back on ( that goes for auto mode aswell).. My foot just does it automatically now that im use to the SMG. I usually drive in S5 or just S3 around town. In traffic i stay in D3 and when cruising, but its alot nicer to drive and command the gears in manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if you guys have tried this or not, but there is a nice throttle bleep you can do on an up shift. Takes a little bit of practice, but when you up shift, lift foot and hold for a bit and ease into the throttle as the car goes into gear. You'll notice a nice tone from the engine and exhaust and you'll see your RPMs go up as the car shifts up. Works better in S3, but will work on all modes, you'll just have to speed up your foot work the higher mode you go.

Takes a little practice, but sounds great as you move up through the gears. The downshift bleeps are handled by the computer which sound great too!

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I never lift when shifting, I seem to do fine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts