BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 E60 M5, with 64K Mi.

Was getting intermittent red and yellow cogs before car finally just won't start. Also its stuck in first gear.

Battery was changed and registered and has been kept on charger. When i unlock the car, voltage drops in half. did the same on previous battery.

Codes I'm getting:
4F40: SMG: Hydraulic unit, Undershooting of pressure range
4F42 : SMG Hyd ctrl unit; activation frequency, pressure build up
4F43: SMG Hyd unit: ON period
5211: SMG: signal, key number, is faulty (CAS)
A46D: CID: CID malfunction due to peripheral
9D12: SINE: internal battery

I'm assuming this is the SMG Pump Motor as I no longer hear the whine when unlock/open door, but could it be something electrical that i'm overlooking? Any idea what the last 2 codes are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Check/change first the smg relay at ecu box for the SMG unit. The correct relay is black for the smg pump. Very cheap from dealer
If the pump dont start you need to buy new pump.

For the last error 9D12 need to remove the rear bumper and open the siren to change batteries

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention I changed both black and salmon relays with no luck. When you say change the pump, do you mean the electric motor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard that sometimes just the motor (23 01 7 841 032) is what goes bad...and since i can no longer hear the motor, i'm guessing that's my problem. Or will the pump being bad also cause the motor to not start?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes its common problem!
Carbon from the brushes cause the problem . Probably yours stuck inside and burn the coil.

Dme read 0 pressure from Smg and block the startup.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard that sometimes just the motor (23 01 7 841 032) is what goes bad...and since i can no longer hear the motor, i'm guessing that's my problem. Or will the pump being bad also cause the motor to not start?
I have a pump kit from BMW OEM unopened that I will let go for $475 shipped.

Text me 270-57zero-03twofour

Thought I was going to need it as spare parts but I plan on selling the car soon. Can ship out to you tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks but I’m still trying to figure out what I need. I got ista working and was able to get the car started today after engaging the pump through ista. Once I did this I could hear the pump motor start up and then car fired right up. Which brings me to my next question. Is it just the motor that needs replacing or the actual pump? I’m baffled now as I could hear the pump motor once I engaged it via ista. If the pump itself is bad, would it not allow the motor to prime the system for start?

Edit: are people using pump and motor interchangeably? I'm a noob with this car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks but I’m still trying to figure out what I need. I got ista working and was able to get the car started today after engaging the pump through ista. Once I did this I could hear the pump motor start up and then car fired right up. Which brings me to my next question. Is it just the motor that needs replacing or the actual pump? I’m baffled now as I could hear the pump motor once I engaged it via ista. If the pump itself is bad, would it not allow the motor to prime the system for start?

Edit: are people using pump and motor interchangeably? I'm a noob with this car
Ctk519, did the motor replacement solved the issue? or was it the entire pump that was faulty?
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

Quick update:

So I replaced the SMG pump motor and I'm still having the same issue ,I can't hear the motor when I open the car or when I'm trying to bleed the transmission. therefore no pressure, no light on the gear shifter and car just won't start,.

Here are the codes I'm having:
4F40: SMG: Hydraulic unit, Undershooting of pressure range
4F42 : SMG Hyd ctrl unit; activation frequency, pressure build up
4F43: SMG Hyd unit: ON period
A39A: VM control unit internal fault
D35D: DSC - No Message (LDM 419)
D357: DSC - No Message (Gearbox 186)

I already changed:
- the battery (I did the ISTA registration)
- the PLDC sensor
- both smg pump relays
- and now the smg motor.

Any idea where the issue could come from? Or what I can test?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes I tried, but the smg motor did not run. Therefore bleeding dis not worked...

As the smg motor is new, and the relay as well, I assume the activation signal is not arriving to the relay?

Are you using ista to do the bleed procedures? Can you activate the motor manually through ISTA? If not, seems like a power issue. Also I had to loosen the drain plug in the block during bleeding, it made a mess, but that was the step that got everything going again for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you using ista to do the bleed procedures? Can you activate the motor manually through ISTA? If not, seems like a power issue. Also I had to loosen the drain plug in the block during bleeding, it made a mess, but that was the step that got everything going again for me.
yes I was using ista for the bleeding procedure, and I couldn't hear the motor.

However I did the SMG function "Quick tests" this morning and the pump did activate!
I did the test twice (the procedure reduce the pressure by activating the clutch for 15s, then rebuild the pressure with the pump during max30s) and the second time, pressure went from 36.2 bars up to 93.3, which is good news because that means the pump works. Also the gear knob light went on after the test.

However, I shut down and closed the car, re-openned it, I still can't hear the pump priming, and the gear knob light went off...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

However I did the SMG function "Quick tests" this morning and the pump did activate!
I did the test twice (the procedure reduce the pressure by activating the clutch for 15s, then rebuild the pressure with the pump during max30s) and the second time, pressure went from 36.2 bars up to 93.3, which is good news because that means the pump works. Also the gear knob light went on after the test.

However, I shut down and closed the car, re-openned it, I still can't hear the pump priming, and the gear knob light went off...

It doesn't always auto prime when you open the door, it does it only if it wakes up(opening the door or using the unlock button wakes it up) and the pressure is lower than the set point. So I wouldn't worry about that too much...

So it doesn't sound like a flow problem as you're building pressure. Here is what I'd do..

Clear all the codes and start again see what you get. Also if you inpa you can monitor the pressure over time, hook it up to a battery charger run the through the gears using inpa and listen for the pump. Then switch to the status and watch the pressure using the "Stick" switch between D and N (back and forth) and you can see it drop and rebuild make sure that looks good.

You also need to run the set point adaption after switching the PLCD if you didn't do that second you put your foot on the brake you'll get the red cog and the tranny will lock out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

My guess is the bleed procedure failed. You should hear the system pumping while activated and I think there were two different ones I performed. Also make sure car is in N When trying to start. When you manually brought the pressure up was the car able to start? I did both bleeds twice. Good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
7 Participants
pconil
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing