BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started developing the following issue:

While going WOT from 60 mph in 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th gear, I get this strange sensation that my rear tries break loose, the car revs freely by 800 rpm, then catches itself back and continues to accelerate normally… This only happens between 4000 and 5000 rpm. I also get a yellow warning cog after that happens (though not always). If I keep my RPMs at 6000-7000 rpm and nail it, I get no issues at all while rowing through the gears… This problem only occurs between 4000-5000 rpm.

Anyone else experienced this problem before? I have 120,000 km on the odometer, but the car has never been tracked/dragged and I am a pretty tame driver (I rarely go into S6 and I only used the crippled launch control 2 times). I took the car to the dealer and after the initial diagnostic they said that it might be my clutch. They said that for them to know for sure they would have to drop the transmission and do a visual inspection ($1,200 in labour). My car is CPO, but the warranty does not cover the clutch/flywheel assembly (wear and tear). Could it just be the clutch sensor?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought! The car acts normal after 6,000 rpm and shifts are nice and firm...

·
Registered
311 Posts
trouble is with the dealer is that once the tranny down they will find any odd excuse to replace the clutch and probably flywheel aswell

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats why I am not sure what to do… I don't trust the dealer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tried the clutch adaptation yet. I'll give it a shot. Also, OBD reader is not producing any codes...

·
Registered
422 Posts
hey ATK i will be in toronto this weekend i can check it out for you but im 99% sure its your clutch mine was doing this between 3500-4000rpm and it was due, my car got a new clutch at 60k km and 120k km, it lasts about 60k in average from what i see

let me know! have a good one

·
Registered
422 Posts
word of advice drive the car slowly because the clutch is around 1000$ but the flywheel is another 800$ if you keep slipping you will damage the flywheel, you dont need that !

Reactions: ATK

·
2,149 Posts
Your code reader is probably for engine only... If you throw a warning symbol on the dash then you will have a error code stored..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll see if I can pull the code!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nevermind, I think I might have found my own answers. Looks like I have to do a clutch adaptation. I just got new tires. Same size, but looks like the owner's manual says to do this after installation of new tires. Hopefully it's as simple as this and not my actual clutch slipping.

I can't believe how sensitive the SMG is.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Post a video so we can all see!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I finally found out what's wrong...need a new clutch and flywheel. $4300 out the door. :sad2:

And my SMG pump is almost failing as well. They said it reads 29.0 bar of pressure. That is BMW's lowest tolerance for passing. Hopefully I can get to read 28.9 to have it fail so it'll be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, I finally found out what's wrong...need a new clutch and flywheel. $4300 out the door. :sad2:

And my SMG pump is almost failing as well. They said it reads 29.0 bar of pressure. That is BMW's lowest tolerance for passing. Hopefully I can get to read 28.9 to have it fail so it'll be covered under warranty.
Hey, did you go to the dealer or independent? Any good shops in Washington state capable of installing new clutch and smg hydraulic unit that don't charge an arm and a leg? That take parts I buy from Troy?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went to Strictly BMW and they quoted me $4300. I asked (actually begged lol) for a discount and they said they would look into it. They wouldn't let me source my own clutch because I know Bimmerzone.com sells a clutch/flywheel for around $1600. By the time I dropped off my car, the clutch was slipping so bad I didn't think it would make it to another shop.

I also got a quote from Eastside Bavarian for around $3800. They might be let you source your own clutch, but you'd have to call them and ask.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts