BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes if you stay committed in the throttle you will get violent shifts. Just for some perspective there is a button under the pedal on BMW's that tells the DME to cut out all of the accessories for full engine power, I have rarely hit that button and held it for very long.

I feel I was lucky to get the FAMS tune there seem to be troubles right now. You can read the reviews and I think the website is still up with details. It really opens up the mid range of the engine. Before the tune you really had to get up to 7000 rpm or more to really get a kick in the pants. With the tune the car comes alive at 4-5000rpm. The rev limit raise from 8250 to 8500 also gives you a little extra on top. When I am at the track I shift between 7-8000rpm and the car is pulling the whole time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So it is normal to get a clunky shift every now and then? If so, does the clunky shifts cause damage to the car or? I love the Smg but it’s the one thing I hate about the car, when the shift feels clunky
The only reason it is not as clunky with a stick is that you can't move your foot as fast as the SMG ECU can activate the hydraulics. There is nothing wrong with the SMG.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve owned the car 8 months and I don’t think I’ve hit the button under the pedal. Only because I’m afraid I’ll go to jail or I’ll lose the tail end of the car lol. I need to take the car to an air strip and max it out.. say you are cruising at a good 60MPH, you drop to 3rd gear and hit the peddle for floor, if the car is stock you won’t break the tires in 3rd right? 1-2 I think full throttle will break the tires lose, probably a dumb question but I’ve only drove 540s.. I’m still a little hesitant with my beast and scared it’ll blow up even after the 6k I’ve spent on PM ( I’m just paranoid)

and as far as FAMS tune I am jelous. I hope Jim reaches out because I will do the tune if he can show he’s reliable . it was my original plan to do the FAMS tune but I’ve been doing all the PM first before I do anything performance.. and it seems I constantly am finding new PM to take care of.

for the original post.. I have noticed it smooths the gear changes out lifting slightly through 1-2-3 and after that if you keep on the throttle moderately it’s pretty smooth (shifting 4-5k) I still get a clunky shift every now and then... I always drive M mode traction on and 5 bars for trans.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I really can't understand this lifting the throttle when shifting to make it smoother, the ecu is already doing this for you. It would be clunkier if you lifted as you are causing a delay between you letting off the throttle, the ecu controlling the clutch and ignition timing for the shift.

These are synchro transmission not dog boxes. Also I never notice any clunk unless I'm inducing it with stupidity and only time it's felt is if I'm coming to a stop and abruptly dumps into 1st gear as the RPM drops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’ve owned the car 8 months and I don’t think I’ve hit the button under the pedal. Only because I’m afraid I’ll go to jail or I’ll lose the tail end of the car lol. I need to take the car to an air strip and max it out.. say you are cruising at a good 60MPH, you drop to 3rd gear and hit the peddle for floor, if the car is stock you won’t break the tires in 3rd right? 1-2 I think full throttle will break the tires lose, probably a dumb question but I’ve only drove 540s.. I’m still a little hesitant with my beast and scared it’ll blow up even after the 6k I’ve spent on PM ( I’m just paranoid)

and as far as FAMS tune I am jelous. I hope Jim reaches out because I will do the tune if he can show he’s reliable . it was my original plan to do the FAMS tune but I’ve been doing all the PM first before I do anything performance.. and it seems I constantly am finding new PM to take care of.

for the original post.. I have noticed it smooths the gear changes out lifting slightly through 1-2-3 and after that if you keep on the throttle moderately it’s pretty smooth (shifting 4-5k) I still get a clunky shift every now and then... I always drive M mode traction on and 5 bars for trans.
Thanks guys.
Thanks for the input there Zac.

I've read in a couple replies(not here) that the use of like the 6 setting would wind up being too harsh and damage the transmission? Any truth to this at all?

Also how frequently should these SMG transmissions be serviced?

·
1,973 Posts
I do get smoother shifts if I slightly lift the throttle on every change. User preference so doesn't matter IMO.

I've read in a couple replies(not here) that the use of like the 6 setting would wind up being too harsh and damage the transmission? Any truth to this at all?

Also how frequently should these SMG transmissions be serviced?
Why would bmw give the user the option to damage the car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do get smoother shifts if I slightly lift the throttle on every change. User preference so doesn't matter IMO.

Why would bmw give the user the option to damage the car?
Probably the same reason they charge 3X+ for everything they do. Haha jk.. S6 is pretty knarly though.. it sounds like it’s damaging the car .. at least in mine. I’ve only launched from a dig a couple times in S6. you can hear a BOOM in my car when shifting 1-2-3.. I don’t even think I had the peddle clicked.. I’m scared of the beast guys (and cops) doing almost 100 out of 3rd gear for Christ sake.. just got popped for doing 95 In a 60... cop let me off easy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The SMG is designed to function like that on S6...you just have to learn to enjoy feeling like your car is being hit with a big hammer on every shift. It does take some getting used to

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you have ever shifted a manual car at WOT, it clunks just the same, it's drivetrain jolting. When I go to the drag strip on my Mustang I bang through the gears, it's the same on the M6 but I feel it's smoother obviously cuz it's faster than I can ever shift.

·
Registered
368 Posts
P500, S6, TC off. The torque curves in the DME will soften the shifts if you are light on the throttle.

If you want to baby your car and preserve it that is a choice. I chose to drive may car as intended as often as I can and in doing so may get thrown in jail. That's why I go to the track and autocross events regularly. Driving the speed limit in this car makes me want to put a gun to my head.

·
Registered
254 Posts
P500, S6, TC off. The torque curves in the DME will soften the shifts if you are light on the throttle.

If you want to baby your car and preserve it that is a choice. I chose to drive may car as intended as often as I can and in doing so may get thrown in jail. That's why I go to the track and autocross events regularly. Driving the speed limit in this car makes me want to put a gun to my head.
I know you're voicing your opinion, but almost every post of yours is about you going to the track and not babying your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah so.... he didn't say he babies his car. Quite the opposite
I never said I either baby the car or hammer it. Probably somewhere in between leaning closer to babying at this point still. The thing is an animal and I'm still working thru best ways to run it. I've run muscle Cars with 400+ hp and torque but this is entirely a different thing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah so.... he didn't say he babies his car. Quite the opposite
If you reread it, it says "Not babying your car"

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you reread it, it says "Not babying your car"
I'm not going to get into a flame war here but where exactly does Alan say that? His post is "If you want to baby your car and preserve it that is a choice. I choose to drive my car as intended..." So you calling out his posts about going to the track and not babying his car doesn't really make a lot of sense. He admitted himself that he doesn't baby his car. :unsure:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not going to get into a flame war here but where exactly does Alan say that? His post is "If you want to baby your car and preserve it that is a choice. I choose to drive my car as intended..." So you calling out his posts about going to the track and not babying his car doesn't really make a lot of sense. He admitted himself that he doesn't baby his car. :unsure:
Flame war? I'm just telling you, that what I mean is that most of his post in multiple threads reiterate the same thing about him tracking and not babying his car. I'm not calling him out, never was. I don't understand why you felt the need to jump in when it doesn't involve you.

If you don't believe me check his posts. I bet more than 50% is about him mentioning his time tracking the car and pushing it. I just think it's funny.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Flame war? I'm just telling you, that what I mean is that most of his post in multiple threads reiterate the same thing about him tracking and not babying his car. I'm not calling him out, never was. I don't understand why you felt the need to jump in when it doesn't involve you.

If you don't believe me check his posts. I bet more than 50% is about him mentioning his time tracking the car and pushing it. I just think it's funny.
Are post-stalking Alan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 48 Posts