BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the SMG, read a ton, watch YouTube videos and will read a ton more and watch more but curious what other SMG owners have found in so far as best settings(preferential for sure, but still curious), practices-auto mode vs manual, maintenance steps/tips(I've searched but have not found specific info on the board).

Mine is an 06 model with 22k on the clock, supposedly built 12-12-05, not sure how early or late that is in the production run, perhaps middle to late in the run??

Thanks to all and love the community. ?Ⓜ5️⃣

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just drive it in many different settings until you find what suits you.

For me I hardly drive in Auto mode even in town. It's just doesn't match my style of driving.

In 400p my SMG is set to 4, in 500p is at 5.

I pretty much shift and downshift like I drive all my manual cars and the it's been pretty smooth so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
317 Posts
Turn the dsc off and set the drivelogic to the highest setting while driving in M mode to unleash the SMG’s full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
So I have had my car for about a year and she goes to the track. I started slow with the settings but now I'm at P500, DSC off and six bars.
The shifting can be smoothed out with a little throttle lift.
The M button on the steering wheel executes the settings in the I-drive.
I never drive in auto to avoid extra shifts.
Unless you are really going crazy the car will down shift for you even in manual mode. If you have the DSC on and lose traction it will brake the rear wheels and thus eat up your rear pads. Remember that even with the drive logic at maximum setting the DME SMG logic will soften things up when you are off the throttle.
Find the settings you like, set them up with the I-drive and then use the steering wheel button.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Auto mode is a disaster, I never use it. I drive in P400 mode with the SMG in setting 3 while the oil gets up to temp just to keep myself from getting too exuberant too early. In these conditions, I find it best to lift slightly while shifting because the shifts take so long that you'll get a kick if you keep your foot in it. Once oil is up to temp, P500 and S5 for almost everything. Only S6 if I want to have a lot of fun.

12/05 is early 06 production I believe, my car was produced 06/06 and is still an 06 model year. I believe 07's started in 08/06 or 09/06, I'm not quite sure. Enjoy that low mileage beast.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I’d also recommend installing the euro software if you have the means. Auto mode is a disaster and super clunky if you have the US spec software, on the other hand the SMG is very pleasant to drive in auto with the Euro spec software. I really enjoy driving it in auto mode on S1 or S2 during my commute while the engine is still warming. It almost feels like the E90 328 auto sedan I had some years back, very smooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I've been playing with settings, don't much like 3, and definitely prefer manually shifting. Still not done much with M button settings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just drive it in many different settings until you find what suits you.

For me I hardly drive in Auto mode even in town. It's just doesn't match my style of driving.

In 400p my SMG is set to 4, in 500p is at 5.

I pretty much shift and downshift like I drive all my manual cars and the it's been pretty smooth so far.

Yeah I've been playing with settings, don't much like 3, and definitely prefer manually shifting. Still not done much with M button settings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Auto mode is a disaster, I never use it. I drive in P400 mode with the SMG in setting 3 while the oil gets up to temp just to keep myself from getting too exuberant too early. In these conditions, I find it best to lift slightly while shifting because the shifts take so long that you'll get a kick if you keep your foot in it. Once oil is up to temp, P500 and S5 for almost everything. Only S6 if I want to have a lot of fun.

12/05 is early 06 production I believe, my car was produced 06/06 and is still an 06 model year. I believe 07's started in 08/06 or 09/06, I'm not quite sure. Enjoy that low mileage beast.
Thanks for the input, I concur about auto mode, hate it. Manual use is best. Gotta try the lifting tho see how it fares.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’d also recommend installing the euro software if you have the means. Auto mode is a disaster and super clunky if you have the US spec software, on the other hand the SMG is very pleasant to drive in auto with the Euro spec software. I really enjoy driving it in auto mode on S1 or S2 during my commute while the engine is still warming. It almost feels like the E90 328 auto sedan I had some years back, very smooth.

By saying I have the "means", does that mean I have to manually do it, using a pc? And download it? Any safe sources for the software?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I really don't see how lifting helps, it wasn't designed this way and you are just creating more delay. Let the SMG do it's job of controling/modulating the clutch as we have no way of controling that. Just shifting at the right point is key.

·
Registered
317 Posts
By saying I have the "means", does that mean I have to manually do it, using a pc? And download it? Any safe sources for the software?
Correct...you’ll need to do some searching...plenty of info out there..you would need a laptop with EDIABAS suite and the software to use is “winkfp” in order to flash the SMG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I end up driving in manual mode, S5 and M mode (MDM, P500S) for all occasions. I can keep the revs really down on a colder engine, etc.

In regards to how I end up driving it, I change gears as I would when I owned cars that had actual manual transmissions. Since I can anticipate when I need a shift and I, I can coordinate the throttle to be completely smooth prior, during and after a shift. Passengers can't tell. In this area I love the control of it, just some robot doing the legwork for me.

When in auto mode it surprises me a lot by either short shifting from when I wanted it to or holding gears ridiculously long. Full throttle through the gears S6 and auto mode is a failsafe way to hustle if you have the room, but even then I skip that and manually shift at redline

·
Registered
67 Posts
As the clutch engages it literally makes a clunking sound, can feel it too sometimes.
So it is normal to get a clunky shift every now and then? If so, does the clunky shifts cause damage to the car or? I love the Smg but it’s the one thing I hate about the car, when the shift feels clunky

·
Registered
431 Posts
With your foot in it the shifts will be hard. It's a beast and needs to be feed, I think the diff will give out first from my research. When the rear wheels let go it can get a bit crazy so try and work your way up. The mid to high range on the engine can be a bit of a surprise, I have FAMS tune and it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With your foot in it the shifts will be hard. It's a beast and needs to be feed, I think the diff will give out first from my research. When the rear wheels let go it can get a bit crazy so try and work your way up. The mid to high range on the engine can be a bit of a surprise, I have FAMS tune and it really makes a difference.
can you discribe the difference with FAMS? And it is normal to get violent shifts when going all out? Thanks Alan.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts