BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly considering an E60 M5 and took one local to me for a spin. Under 30k miles, 2010 that appears to be in great shape. The shift speeds even in S5 or S6 full throttle with full power enabled still had a noticeable lag. Long enough to feel like I could have matched or beaten the speed with a 6MT. I'm new to SMGIII but drove an E46 M3 with SMG for 5 years. This was nowhere near as fast as in the E46 where a full throttle shift would snap your head in S5 or 6. It has been a while since I had my E46 but just really surprised me.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong or if it would suggest an issue with the tranny?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Sounds like the transmission needs an adaptation (sensor calibration) performed. I also moved from an E46 M3 to the E60 M5 and the SMG 3 is much, much faster when properly dialed in.

·
Registered
759 Posts
What you describe is not right. At high RPM and well into the throttle, the SMG will snap the gears (and your neck). But you must keep the foot well into the gas. If you lift, it will slow down the shift. Best to just keep the pedal all the way to the floor, past the detent, for fastest shifts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. For the E46 you could reset adaptation by pulling both paddles for a few seconds while going at least a certain speed (exact process I cannot recall right now.) anything similar for the E60 or are you referring to reprogramming the SMG module?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you describe is not right. At high RPM and well into the throttle, the SMG will snap the gears (and your neck). But you must keep the foot well into the gas. If you lift, it will slow down the shift. Best to just keep the pedal all the way to the floor, past the detent, for fastest shifts.
I made sure to push past the detent several times since it was so damned slow. Just seemed odd.

One other point was that the battery had gone dead and the car needed to be jumped. Could that have an impact?

·
Registered
70 Posts
subscribing to follow the thread

but found my 2007 M5 SMG with latest software and factory adaptation reset works reasonably ok, but not as fast as the 2008 MCT equipped SL63.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Thanks guys. For the E46 you could reset adaptation by pulling both paddles for a few seconds while going at least a certain speed (exact process I cannot recall right now.) anything similar for the E60 or are you referring to reprogramming the SMG module?
On both the E46 and the E60, the paddle-pull reset you mention is a layshaft speed calibration used to compensate for rear wheel diameter changes. It works the same for both SMG 2 and SMG 3.

The adaptation process is also the same for SMG 2 and SMG 3, but involves the BMW diagnostic software ISDA, DIS, or INPA. For the E60, it is a 3 step process which calibrates:
- clutch valve solenoid current curve
- shift proportional valve current curve and shift rod end point current values
- clutch "kiss" point PLCD value.

Takes about 30 minutes in all, mostly to find the process in the menus. If you're looking at buying from a dealer, tell them you won't buy it unless they perform it first and the shifting smooths out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
On both the E46 and the E60, the paddle-pull reset you mention is a layshaft speed calibration used to compensate for rear wheel diameter changes. It works the same for both SMG 2 and SMG 3.

The adaptation process is also the same for SMG 2 and SMG 3, but involves the BMW diagnostic software ISDA, DIS, or INPA. For the E60, it is a 3 step process which calibrates:
- clutch valve solenoid current curve
- shift proportional valve current curve and shift rod end point current values
- clutch "kiss" point PLCD value.

Takes about 30 minutes in all, mostly to find the process in the menus. If you're looking at buying from a dealer, tell them you won't buy it unless they perform it first and the shifting smooths out.
J-
This subject came up recently at one of our local meets. One of our members who is also a member on this board is a BMW Master Tech. He confirmed the paddle-pull above 40 mph is a layshaft speed cal for rear wheel changes. he also mentioned that a paddle pull over 70mph will perform the adaption..."same as me hooking up to the dme and pressing a button to perform the adaption", his words not mine. i asked if performed, do i leave in drive or flip it to neutral? he said that he leaves in drive. he also mentioned you shouldn't go more than 3000 miles w/o performing an adaption.

·
Registered
759 Posts
he also mentioned that a paddle pull over 70mph will perform the adaption..."same as me hooking up to the dme and pressing a button to perform the adaption", his words not mine. i asked if performed, do i leave in drive or flip it to neutral? he said that he leaves in drive. he also mentioned you shouldn't go more than 3000 miles w/o performing an adaption.
Wow! This is the first time I've ever seen this mentioned. I'm personally skeptical, until validated by others. Will definitely not try it until then. My SMG performs great anyway, so not worried about adaptation at this time...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Well, that would be neat...but dangerous.

Full adaptation cycles each of the shift rods going through all the gears. I sure wouldn't want my SMG going into 1st over 70 with just the clutch open. Loss of pressure on the slave cylinder would be...money shift.

The clutch slip point adaptation routine code requires the layshaft to be at 0 RPM to initiate or it errors out. Not buying that one.

I would honestly have to see it to believe it. Pull the adaptation hex values with INPA, then perform adaptation over 70, then reread them.

However, I absolutely agree with performing the periodic adaptation. It should have been done at every oil change at a minimum by BMW. Would have saved a lot of transmissions.

·
Registered
759 Posts
However, I absolutely agree with performing the periodic adaptation. It should have been done at every oil change at a minimum by BMW. Would have saved a lot of transmissions.
Will BMW do adaptation if you ask for it? How much would it cost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts