BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Over the last few days when I try to move off from say the lights or a junction, my car refuses to move, I then get a display saying car in neutral, whilst in fact its in gear, after a second it decides its actually in gear and moves off,

Any experience of this new issue ??

Cheers

·
8,369 Posts
What you are experiencing is definitely not normal. I never experienced it.

We can provide you our thoughts on the matter but this type of anomaly requires a dealer expertise.

I recommend you take your car to the dealer ASAP for diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
it happened to me couple times.
when I moved the gear to N then I moved back to D, it's still showing N and the car won't move.
weird huh?!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Haven't noticed that either, would follow recommendation of having it checked out. In the mean time try reseting the SMG. Here are the procedures:

After changing tires or wheels, the slip detection
of the Sequential Manual Transmission
must become familiar with the changed state.
Reinitialize the system for this purpose:
1. Move the selector lever into the idling
position N on a straight stretch of road at a
speed between 20 mph/30 km/h and
90 mph/150 km/h.
2. Pull both shift paddles for approx. 2 seconds.
If you do not carry out initialization, the system
will automatically learn the changed state gradually
during driving. This may be noticeable
from the clutch opening and closing briefly.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->

·
Registered
421 Posts
This sounds like a clutch position issue...but ultimately you will not know until a code pops up or get the car scanned for soft codes...Does the car move off without a banging/harsh engagement?

·
Registered
119 Posts
SMG issue II

Guys, any update on the SMG issue? I am experiencing a similar one, which is: when at a stand still - say at a traffic light - it'll take a couple of seconds for the gear to engage, even though it shows I am actually in 1st. I've experienced this issue 3 times, one of them when engaging Reverse exiting my garage. The gear does kick in eventually, but it lags for those couple of seconds as if it were in Neutral. Stepping on the gas pedal doesn't help either, because that just makes the car really kick once the gear finally engages. I've tried to remember if there was a common element to all situations (engine cold, driving in M mode etc), but there wasn't. Once I was in M mode, the other I was in simple SMG mode (I never drive this car in Automatic mode).

I've taken it to my local BMW guys, they've checked, reset the system, I got it back yesterday and then last night it happened again. There is no faulty code, no lights, no nothing, that's the annoying part, because without that they say they are not able to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If I roll up to a red light and stop but leave my foot off the brake pedal ('cause it's level and I'm not going to roll), the car will display "1" but it's either in neutral or 2nd (I really can't tell which) as it then clunks and shifts into 1st when I step on the gas to go. If I manually downshift into 1st before coming to a stop it seems to really be in first. Also if I sit at the stop light with the brake pedal depressed continuously from when I used the brakes to come to a stop, the car is in 1st and there no clunk or apparent shifting when I step on the gas to pull away.

Not sure if this is related or not. A lot of people have complained about the "clunking" of SMG and know this is one case where it will happen pretty regularly. I suspect the car only downshifts into 2nd coming to the stop or else the car shifts into neutral when you are stopped and have your foot off the brake.

Long story short, when stopped, I don't fully trust the gear number displayed on the instrument panel (and the HUD).

·
8,369 Posts
Interesting posts. Again, I have a 2006 M6 and I never experienced the same problems you folks are reporting.

I slow down coming to stop light I downshift to 2nd and let the SMG downshift itself to 1st gear once the car is completely stopped.
I step on my brakes to hold the car down, car stays in 1st gear, I continue to step on my brakes - car stays in 1st gear.
I let go of my brakes, car remains still, still in 1st gear and once the light turns green - I drive off without any issue or hesitation.

Maybe time for a software upgrade to the latest and greatest?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Interesting posts. Again, I have a 2006 M6 and I never experienced the same problems you folks are reporting.

I slow down coming to stop light I downshift to 2nd and let the SMG downshift itself to 1st gear once the car is completely stopped.
I step on my brakes to hold the car down, car stays in 1st gear, I continue to step on my brakes - car stays in 1st gear.
I let go of my brakes, car remains still, still in 1st gear and once the light turns green - I drive off without any issue or hesitation.

Maybe time for a software upgrade to the latest and greatest?
I thought the software will only affect your iDrive display and has nothing to do with the smg.
But again, I am not really sure about it.

·
8,369 Posts
A complete software update updates the entire car's operating system including ECU, SMG, iDrive, etc.

When my beast suffered limp home mode last year - I took it to the dealer the next day.
They pulled the codes and told me what I experienced is a known issue and can be easily fixed by a complete software update to the latest version.

Took them like 8 hours to upload the latest version of software to my car.
When I picked up my car the next day, and to this day - I have ZERO issues. Everything works fine.

I thought the software will only affect your iDrive display and has nothing to do with the smg.
But again, I am not really sure about it.

·
8,369 Posts
Never.

Like you said in one of your post, we can downshift to 3rd, to 2nd on our own but dont downshift to 1st while the car is still moving or the car while chuggle, So ever since then, I down shift to 3, then 2, then I just let the SMG downshift to 1st on its own once the car is completely stopped.

Hey Dan, do you ever the often reported "SMG clunk"? A harsh, loud, or unexpected shift into 1st gear at low speed or while moving from a stop.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
...and Ajax always shifts down to 1, nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Dan, that's good news. My main problem was that I was trained since age 15 never to downshift to 1st. Once you get the hang of it, it first becomes second nature!

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dan, that's good news. My main problem was that I was trained since age 15 never to downshift to 1st. Once you get the hang of it, it first becomes second nature!
Same for me. I still remember my father telling me never to downshift to first.

Anyway, I followed someone's hint that I should keep the brake pedal pressed during a stand-still, and since I started doing that I haven't experienced the issue. I'll keep you gents posted.

·
8,369 Posts
Again, I dont experience any Thug, Chuckle or Bang on my SMG.

I downshift to 3rd, to 2nd, then I let the SMG on its own downshift to 1st once the car is completely stopped.
This technique which I do almost 95% of the time keeps downshifting smooth.

I typically dont shift to neutral on a stop light. I keep it on 1st gear, keep my foot on the brake pedal until its time to go again.
Once the light turns green - no hesitation or any issues - I step on the gas pedal and the beast goes without any issues.

That's why I said if anyone here experience any thugs or bang - I consider that abnormal and should perhaps take their beast to the the dealer for a diagnostics check.

If the diagnostics comes back negative - then perhaps try my method above and see if you notice any difference or improvement.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
In the very old days (showing my age here), many cars did not have synchros for 1st gear, so unless you were very adept in double clutching, your father did tell you not to shift into 1st unless you were stopped. So if you learned in aPOS car like did, you really only had 1 downshift to worry about (3rd to 2nd) - "three on the tree" baby!

Disclaimer: This assumes your father taught you how to drive and you could not effectively double clutch being a new driver. Guess that describes me 40 or so years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts