BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery light on, engine bay smells from the alternator like burning rubber, volts are at 11.4-11.6 and don't really raise with rpms, reving the car didn't change the rpms from 11.4, only when driving they change very mildly. I replaced my battery 2/3 months ago and just had inspection 2 done and am at 100k. The battery was originally replaced because of a cutting out issue that happend 3/4 times and also the volts were low.

any ideas? and is the alternator for us really 800$?

thanks!

BTW i put glasspacks on my exhaust, it sounds....interesting, i'm going to post videos soon too.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
530 Posts
Greg:

Sounds like an alternator. Do the volts drop even further if you put the seat heaters on? Or headlights, for that matter?

You'll kill that new battery pretty quick without it being recharged all the time--After all a battery is only supposed to start the car, then the alternator runs the electrical systems. And by kill, I mean permanently eat up the lead inside of it needing a new replacement, not just an inconveinient jump.:grrrrr:

$800.00 seems high, but I can't be sure.

Let us know how this turns out,

Joe

Reactions: greg12m3

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg:

Sounds like an alternator. Do the volts drop even further if you put the seat heaters on? Or headlights, for that matter?

You'll kill that new battery pretty quick without it being recharged all the time--After all a battery is only supposed to start the car, then the alternator runs the electrical systems. And by kill, I mean permanently eat up the lead inside of it needing a new replacement, not just an inconveinient jump.:grrrrr:

$800.00 seems high, but I can't be sure.

Let us know how this turns out,

Joe
I turned everything off as soon as i saw the battery light and smelled the burning rubber smell, I'm going to go out to my car and check what seat warmers, headlights... do to the volts.

I "searched" and found a post where someone mentioned they got an alternator that was rebuilt from napa for 350$, i called and they said 450 which is much better than what i thought the new one was from pelicanparts for 800. The "new alternator napa offered was 1300$!!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Rubber isn't the usual smell associated with a toasted alternator, but plastic is, and plastic/rubber can smell similarly.

SKIP ANY AND ALL TESTS INVOLVING TURNING ON YOUR CAR. You've traumatized your battery enough - leave it alone for now.

There are 2 possibilities at this point:
1. You broke a belt or a tensioner and thus the belt is slipping (as VantaaM5 said), or
2. You toasted your alternator.

Personally, I'd lean toward #2, but it will be pretty obvious once you get under the hood. If you can move the belt around the pulleys by hand, you need a new tensioner or belt. If you can't, you need a new alternator.

d-

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a new alternator and put it in today, volts are now back up to a healthy 13.5-14. Thanks for all the help!

I also changed my trans mounts and felt quite a difference. for 20 bucks for both and 45 mins, it was definitely worth doing, especially when my car is at 100k and probably has never had them changed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.