BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take it in for the dealer to have a look. Yes, I check the fuses and there is no fuse seperatly marked AC Blower. BTW - if you did not know this, the fuse box is in the top of the glove compartment, tucked away behand to white plastic thumb screws. There is a fuse box in the trunk as well.

This would be under warranty for me, but I have not heard of this failure here before. Anyone experience it or am I just the lucky one? The blower will not work at all under any setting. I really did think it was a fuse problem.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm a long time "lurker", saw this post and had the same problem. I took the car to Momentum BMW here in Houston, and they replaced the "final stage resistor", problem solved.

DannyC

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, even though it's almost November, you still can't go w/o AC here in Houston for more than 5 minutes in the daytime.
I looked back and saw Mark's post for a Houston get-together. I would be up for this depending on the time. It didn't seem like there was much interest at that time. I know there are several other M5's here, see 2 or 3 per week.
Anyways, this AC problem seems to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Im always up for a meet...Im waiting for someone to give a date. As for houston and the heat...corpus is great especially here on the water, sea breeze makes for a nice ride most of the time. If its above 90 though, AC on (thats if your resistor hasnt given out)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the resistor story guys. I certainly hope that takes care of it. I took it into the BMW dealer near the Woodlands Mall. They gave me an X5 as a loaner, but I want mine back. I was careful to observe the mileage before I left the dealer. I don't want to go back and find they needed to do a road test of the blower resistor for 20 miles!

Dannyc and RennSport - still would like to get an event together but as you saw, not much interest. If you have a better way let me know and I will be there.

Mark

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Faulty Resistor - everyone should have it changed

You guys guessed it. It was the resistor and the tech. said it is a weak part that BMW is replacing with a more heat resistant one. The resistor is being replaced with an aluminum one that will dissapate the heat better according to the tech.

Everyone should be on the lookout for this part when you are having routine maintenance done and go ahead and have it replaced instead of waiting for it to fail.

Easy fix.

Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
Back in August (when it was plenty hot) I had my M5's HVAC blower fail. But after 2 weeks of waiting for my dealer appointment and a lot of sweating, the blower miraculously started working again.

So it took it into the dealer anyway, and they decided to replace the blower motor under warranty.

Since then, it's continued to work just fine. So in my case it probably wasn't the resistor.

- Dave

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
dave,

very good point you bring up...it could have been more than a resistor no doubt. I figured that since my car had the same problem occur and the likely hood that an entire blower motor would quit, it would be the resistor. Good point though

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
FlyM5 said:
Back in August (when it was plenty hot) I had my M5's HVAC blower fail. But after 2 weeks of waiting for my dealer appointment and a lot of sweating, the blower miraculously started working again.

- Dave
Dave

2 weeks to fix the resister pak?? I showed up at my dealer without an appointment, waited about 15 minutes to talk to my SA and 10 minutes later I was on the road, fixed under warranty!! I guess my dealer is getting good marks for service. kinggf
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
80 Posts
gsfent said:
Dave

2 weeks to fix the resister pak?? I showed up at my dealer without an appointment, waited about 15 minutes to talk to my SA and 10 minutes later I was on the road, fixed under warranty!! I guess my dealer is getting good marks for service. kinggf
Regards,
Jerry
I'm glad to hear of your prompt fix.

Actually the 2 weeks I referred to was just to get an appointment to have a dealer look at the car. It seems the BMW dealers around here in the DC/northern VA area have more service work then they can handle.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
FlyM5 said:
I'm glad to hear of your prompt fix.

Actually the 2 weeks I referred to was just to get an appointment to have a dealer look at the car. It seems the BMW dealers around here in the DC/northern VA area have more service work then they can handle.
FlyM5
I assume you cultivate a good relationship with your SA. My dealership, Braman in West Palm Beach, is one of the largest BMW dealers in the country. Next time you have a minor problem, and the board can help with the diagnosis, try showing up and see what happens (they love those 5's on the follow up customer care survey!!) Worst case is they say make an appointment, best case is they take car of it. I don't mind slipping the tech and/SA a few greenbacks to help out. I have had minor repairs done a few times like that (running light, changed the bulb and socket in the driveway;CPS, wait about an hour so car could cool). Of course, my dealer is 15 minutes from my office, so it is not a big deal for me to make the trip.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All,

Yes this was a posative experience, well as posative as taking the car into the dealer for a repair can be. It was a simple resistor to change out. Make note to have this checked if your car is in for routine maintenance. BMW has a bulletin out about this issue of replacing the resistor with an "aluminum" one of better quality. Sorry, I do not have any additional information because the dealer is mailing me the paperwork.

They completed this work in one day, gave me a loaner even though I had not purchased from them and did not put any "road test miles" on my car.

I am pretty happy everything considered,

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts