BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to this forum. I just picked up a Canadian market 11/90 build M5, bk05790. It has already been converted to traditional rear suspension with koni yellows and h&r sport springs. The h&r springs ride rougher than I expect of an M5, having come from an e46 M3, and it gives the car a very hotrod rake that I don’t like. My question; is there any non sls springs that retain the factory height and a softer ride? Were there m tech package e34’s without sls that have a comparable spring? Is there a spacer or some kit to use the factory M5 springs without sls? I’ve heard good things about bavauto springs, they lower a non M 30mm front and rear, so that would lower an M5 10mm?

·
10,449 Posts
not sure if they're still available but there was an e34 m tech spring, might be hard to buy thru US dealers now since it would be a euro part. I'd bet 540 sport rear springs could work too. If you could find some used Dinan SLS delete springs that would be ideal. The OE SLS springs are too soft, a spacer would not give the best results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 535i m tech spring part number is 33532226673 if I’m right, and they are available through USA distributors. At $180 a corner, They’re more than any aftermarket options. That’s to be expected though. The M5’s front springs do not share part numbers with any other cars. Maybe that’s because of the s38, but the m tech front springs share with a bunch of other models. If I ran M5 front springs and 535i m tech non sls rear springs, do you think it would have any compromises?

·
10,449 Posts
I think you would be ok with that combo. You might check how the Koni's are adjusted while it's apart. They should be adjustable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts