BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my clutch is slipping!!

Having never experienced this before, I'll explain the symptoms and see what you guys think!!

Ok,

1st gear no problem. rev it up domp the clutch and we're off.
2nd gear much the same
3rd engine revs rise, but the speed is not matching what the rev counter is tell me, lots of noise but not the speed I's expecting...

It's not wheel spin, I know how that feels. This is something else..
It doesn't happen all the time either.

Thoughts??

Steve

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Try the usual tests, release the clutch while the handbrake is on, see if the car trys to pull forward strongly, or I think better, a quick change from second to fourth and accelerate hard. If it slips, then it`s worn.

Two things;

Got my car at 84000, now on 118,000? or so had a bit of use with it. I`ve noticed about three times, if I mismatch the revs too much, heavy on the accelerator before the clutch is fully engaged, I get monster revs and no acceleration. Done it once in first, twice in second while overtaking.
If I change gear properly :))) then no problem, warp-speed takeoffs are no problem. Therefore I think my clutch is gettting worn, but doesn`t need replacement yet.

Secondly, several people have reported that damage occurs to the flywheel if the clutch disintegrates, which it does very rapidly once slipping starts occuring properly. TAOM (the advice of millions) is to get it done absolute top priority if it starts, within 10-20 miles, certainly no more than 50.

Ivan.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Steve,

GO STRAIGHT TO GARAGE. DO NOT PASS GO.

If the clutch fails outright it normally takes other components like the release mechanism with it. You can end up facing a hefty bill in addition to the clutch as a number on here have!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUT,

I had the clutch pedal bushes and fluid replaced a weeks back.

Surely if there was problem with the clutch, it would have been spotted on the road test etc??

Now I'm worried??

:0(

Steve

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Sounds exactly like what mine did.

If the clutch was replaced last year, then the only thing I can think of is that the flywheel/release bearing needed doing at the same but was not done, hence the damaged flywheel/release bearing worked with a new clutch for a while, whilst doing damage to the new clutch in a short time. Would have to be taken apart to check.

The only other possibility I can think of is if there is some fluid finding its way in!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mmm-Five said:
Sounds exactly like what mine did.

If the clutch was replaced last year, then the only thing I can think of is that the flywheel/release bearing needed doing at the same but was not done, hence the damaged flywheel/release bearing worked with a new clutch for a while, whilst doing damage to the new clutch in a short time. Would have to be taken apart to check.

The only other possibility I can think of is if there is some fluid finding its way in!
I'll have to check the job when the clutch was done and see what was changed...

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
My symptoms were very similar (slip in the higher gears) and a new clutch has solved the problem - old unit definitely jiggered.

I had a rear crankshaft oil seal whilst the clutch was out - perhaps yours is leaking onto the clutch which may explain its early demise?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kurt Ramsden said:
My symptoms were very similar (slip in the higher gears) and a new clutch has solved the problem - old unit definitely jiggered.
Thats how mine was at first then affected lower gears (getting blown away by Micras)

I probably drove it about 200 miles in that state and by the sound of it was lucky.

New clutch kit, guibo and exhaust brackets cost me about £500. Difference was dramatic!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok,

spoken to Birds.
They suggested I take the car in for one of their chaps to drive it and see what he thinks....

I'll do that this afternoon.

I will keep you posted!!!

Steve

fingers crossed - it is not going to be bad news!
:0(

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Car test driven.....

Clutch seems OK.

So, I must be going mad instead!!!

Driving the beast to the Geneva motorshow on Sunday (there and back in one day), so that should test it!!!!

Thanks for all your advice,

Steve

·
Registered
970 Posts
Every now and again, I get a similar sympton, high rev gear change, maybe 3rd to 4th and I get the clutch slipping. I obviously blame the clutch as it can't be me (Brian Schumacher! Ace driver! Surely not!) but I can smell burnt clutch once I've parked up.

In hindsight though, I think its me still with my foot on the clutch slightly depressing it hence the slippage, once you've got the thing slipping and 340 bhp going down I think its very difficult for it to catch up.

Hasn't happened for a long while now, but I now make sure I get my foot off all the way, it doesn't help with the clutch pedal having such a long travel. I guess this is why a lot of Guys go for the short shifter and I believe UCC also have some sort of device which you can fit to the clutch pedal device which may help? (I think it may limit how far you can depress rather than release the clutch pedal, not sure?)

Just noticed this thread from the E39 Guys, makes good reading:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=974

hertfordshire1 said:
Car test driven.....

Clutch seems OK.

So, I must be going mad instead!!!

Driving the beast to the Geneva motorshow on Sunday (there and back in one day), so that should test it!!!!

Thanks for all your advice,

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts