BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - great board, I just joined up and love all of the informative posts. I recently moved from San Francisco to Seattle - the drive up was pretty hairy (snow on the pass & ice storm in Portland)...the beast survived (2002 silver/black 25k), but was not happy on the ice or snow.

I am ready to retire the Dunlops and am looking for a better performing tire. From reading the posts, it appears people are pretty happy with the PS2's - which is what I am leaning towards. Many people here have reccomended going with the PS A/S here because of the wet roads - but I would prefer going with the PS2's for the performance. Anybody have a similar dilemma they faced? Can the PS2's handle wet pavement without the traction control kicking in every 2 seconds? I don't want to go the route of having a summer tire, and switching to a different tire in the winter (as it only snows here 1-2 times a year, and the beast will be sleeping in the garage when it does)...

BTW - any other PacNWest beast owners on the site? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Please read the many threads on this subject. But to answer your question: The PS2's are great in the wet. Go for it.

Derek

PS - By the way, when the road is wet you're going to get a lot of DSC activity no matter what tire you run. That said, the PS2's and the Goodyear F1 DSG3's are great choises for wet roads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have run the Goodyear F1 DSG3's are great in wet, I think even better than the PS2's but the PS2's may be better in dry but Ilike the F1's a lot. I do switch tires to Dunlaps 3's in winter and cannot believe how well they work

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to Seattle, though I'm a bit late, as I am usually somewhere else in the world at any given time.
I've run Dunlops (not good),S0-3s(good, but "mushy", even with 36f,34r pressures) and Pilot Sports (old tread pattern) in Seattle. The pilots are the best, though they ride firmly( I like). As you have found, not too much need for A/S tires here. If youre skiing ar using the passes in the winter, use the other car....
Avoid the Pilot A/S,It's not right for the M5, had them on the wife's 540,and they chunked like crazy (she did push them at the track though), my Pilots just scuffed a bit the same day.
Welcome to the sunny west!
Martin

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Welcome to Seattle too! I'm also here in Seattle but I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area too. I'm still using the original Pilot Sports which I absolutely recommend hands down if you manage to find a set. I haven't tried the newer PS2's yet but I've heard that it's not as good in the wet as the originals. I did hear that the Goodyear F1's are good in the wet but haven't verified it myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
PS2s are all around great in summer, i think in the rain they work quite well.. but if you find yourself in the snow better call a towtruck before you total your ride..
I've heard somewhere on this board that the "37 degrees chime" is meant to warn you of a critical temperature below which your performance rubber turns to hockey puck causing slippery driving even without snow or wet;
might make snow tires a little more desirable, I sure love my dunlop wintersport M2s.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Jason,

Check out Derek's post above and his other posts regarding the PS2's. Obviously being in the Northwest and driving 15-20K miles a year makes your opinion valid, and Derek finds the PS2's to be the best tire in dry or wet weather he has used on his M5. Better than previous tires such as Goodyear GS D3, original Pilot Sports, and Dunlops.

Thought you might be interested, and take care.

Travis

·
Registered
89 Posts
you Seattle guys with the silver M5s - either of you heading northbound on Western Avenue Tuesday at about 5pm? I came up along side of one on the way home from work. Just curious.

·
Registered
89 Posts
An additional point for the other Seattle guys - friend of mine has a relative in the service department at a local BMW dealership. He was told that just about every car that has come in with a cold air intake system has developed internal engine rust problems. Evidently the air is too wet here to use a cold air intake. I'm still probably going to move the intake air temperature sensor at some point, though ($100 mod) to prevent the summertime heat soak problems that so many others have complained about.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Tom,

Are you sure about the rusting issue? I've had my CAI for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems like that. What are the symptoms that marks such an issue?

I already have the UFMotorsport IATS mod. I highly recommend this mod for anyone considering it!

And finally, it wasn't me driving on Western. I haven't driven the M5 in a while. :(

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tom,

It's nice to see another local M5 guy, welcome! If your ever down in the Portland area, let us know, it would be fun to meet up. There is a small but great bunch of us down in the Northwest part of Oregon that are pretty close.

Travis

·
Registered
89 Posts
atomic80 said:
Tom,

Are you sure about the rusting issue? I've had my CAI for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems like that. What are the symptoms that marks such an issue?

I already have the UFMotorsport IATS mod. I highly recommend this mod for anyone considering it!

And finally, it wasn't me driving on Western. I haven't driven the M5 in a while. :(
I don't know any more than what I relayed here. I'll hopefully have an opportunity to meet this guy and get more details and facts. I just mentioned it to my friend that I was considering it and he advised against it based on what his relative had told him.

Thanks for the IATS mod recommendation - did you mount in the grill, in one of the airboxes or elsewhere? I guess if you have a CAI then this rules out the airbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses onthe tires, very helpful. I decided to go with the PS2's as they seem to get the best reviews from almost everyone...I'm getting them put on next week. With the current weather, the PS2's should be perfect year round ;) and everybody said it was wet all the time.... Wasn't me on western the other night - however, I was next to an identical silver beast as mine on I-5 in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. Do any of you have a preference between Bellvue or Seattle in terms of a maintenance dept?

Thx
Josh
:cheers:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Definitely BMW of Seattle....Suzanne Jay is number one in my book! Tell her that Jason with the blue M5 sent you. She'll take care of you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Josh,
It was probably me. I'm semi easy to spot with the Dinan letters on the trunk, usually I"m heard first, as the Dinan exhaust is getting louder as it gets older.
Martin

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Martin A. said:
Josh,
It was probably me. I'm semi easy to spot with the Dinan letters on the trunk, usually I"m heard first, as the Dinan exhaust is getting louder as it gets older.
Martin
How many miles on your M5 now, Martin? I still have only about 22k on mine and the Dinan exhaust is PLENTY loud! Still gives me goosebumps everytime I drive it! :eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
You really don't drive your car, do you?
Mine has 34K, I'm thinking about a 2005, or a new M6.......or a 996TT!
Oh oh, I hear my accountant calling!

·
Registered
14 Posts
After a few bad experiences at BMW of Bellevue, I only go to the Seattle dealership - even to buy oil... and even though it's less convenient from Kirkland

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the Great Northwest!

I'm running SO-3s, and I think they're pretty good. I think my old-style PS2s might have been better, but it's tough to tell. I'm just amazed at the cornering of the M5, even in the wet.

I would like to echo the caution which Brother Methias mentioned. Most of our winter temps hover in the 30-40 degree range and it's tough to warm up your tires, especially when driving around town. Your traction can vary significantly from day to day, wet or not. I keep the DSC on by default, because I've the tail come out at unexpected times.

Best,
Bert
01 LMB/LMB

·
Registered
842 Posts
atomic80 said:
How many miles on your M5 now, Martin? I still have only about 22k on mine and the Dinan exhaust is PLENTY loud! Still gives me goosebumps everytime I drive it! :eek:
atomic80, my friend, how are you? Hope you're doing well. I've got 58,000+ miles on Jezebel now. I'm trying to keep the miles down but I can't help myself. I park the M5 and drive my Landcruiser on the weekends (and even drive the wife's Audi sometimes) but then I get in my M5 and the miles just unspool. I figure I've got 18 months before I buy an E60 M5 and I'll be lucky if I can keep from hitting 80,000 miles by that time. The problem is I want to take a few good road trips in Jezebel before she's gone. The last road trip down to Reno made for a wild weekend and some great driving on some beautiful roads but the odometer sure looks different come Monday morning.

How have you managed to keep it down to 22,000 miles on your car?

Derek

1 - 20 of 30 Posts