BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for something a little more subtle than the finned version that slimm sells, and I always liked the Vorsteiner piece, but not the price tag it carried. So when I found out he was working on a no-fin version, I jumped on it.

Rick suggested scrubbing it with some grey scotch-brite pads, cleaning with a wax and grease remover, then spraying with an adhesion promoter. I didn't do any of that lol, I wet-sanded it with some 800 grit, cleaned it with some dish soap, rinsed again, dried it off, then sprayed it with about 5 coats of Plasti-dip. It still felt a bit tacky the next day, possibly because of the low temps when I painted it (high 50s) or because of bad prep, or maybe both. We'll see how well it holds up.

I had to trim the side tabs a bit to get them to slide into the bumper slots, but other than that, fit was good. There is a slight gap on the sides, but I dont expect perfect fitment from aftermarket body parts, if that's what I wanted, I'd stick with stock stuff.

I also botched the install a bit when I pushed the tape on along the top, it could be better (see shots below), but I'm not too worried about it for now. You can't see it unless you get down low to the ground, something most people wont be doing.

Standard disclaimer applies, no affiliation with slimmbones, just another happy customer.

Freshly plasti-dip sprayed:

Stock:

Slimm's:

In the sun:

Close-ups:

Attachments

Reactions: Phil M5

·
Registered
195 Posts
I dont see any pictures

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd, works for me, added them as attachments as well.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Please excuse me if I am missing something but it seems very close to the stock "diffuser"

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ah, got it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Slimm:

I have a question. Given your proven talent to fabricate things, have you ever thought about a "working" or "functioning" diffuser.

I am not saying anything negative about your current line of diffusers, I am just wondering if it is possible to make a diffuser that actually "works", even a little bit, at high speeds? I am guessing the cost is going to be too high for such a fabrication?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i have had request but the functioning diffuser doest it make a huge difference and for the cost plus i have seen other diffusers and they look like they belong on a rice mobile with soy sauce

You are right about most of them looking a bit 'fast a furious'.

May be something like your Fin Diffuer but one with slightly longer fins and runs far deeper towards the differential (or all the way to the differential), so it clean the air under the car. But I have no skills so that thought will remain just that, a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts