BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was accelerating out of a slip road, a message flashed up briefly on the display:

Trans. failsafe prog

I can guess roiughy what it means - but how serious is it? What would cause it? It only showed for a brief moment and after that the car seemed to drive fine...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
OOOOHHH, nasty...

Had that once on my 840, after the battery had completely died - basically gave me 3rd gear only and it was hideous to drive (straight to the dealer!)

Sounds like you've not got the full safety mode going on, but I'd get it checked out ASAP!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi

I had that happen on my E32 740i a number of times after the car had done 75-80k miles. Initially the dealer advised that an electrical spike had caused it and if I parked, left the car for 45-60 and came back to it, the system would reset. This certainly appeared to be the case, it was also slightly improved by checking and changing the gearbox oil (sealed for life at the factory!). Eventually at 130k miles the gearbox gave up the ghost and I had it rebuilt.

I had also had this message come up on E38 B12 5.7 and that lead to the car being off the road for 7 weeks while BMW GB sourced a new ECU from Alpina. I'd only had the car 4 weeks and I have to say GB were B useless. In the end I rang the Alpina factory, spoke to somebody in their parts dept, in English, and got a straight answer in 5 mins. He knew the car, the part, when it was ordered and when it would reach Bracknell (GB Parts). After that episode, I met Kris at Goodwood and any future questions I had, I phoned him direct.

Hope this helps and the best of luck.

Joni P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts