BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I sold my beast I've been driving the Lexus and Mini more and have noticed that on the Mini and M5 nav screens (BMW) it is diffucult to see the screen when waring polarized sunglasses. Not so on the Lexus.
Can anyone tell me how the E60 Nav is with polarized shades. I'm addicted to sunglasses and it's a drag having to tilt your head to see what's on the screen. ??????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Barry said:
Since I sold my beast I've been driving the Lexus and Mini more and have noticed that on the Mini and M5 nav screens (BMW) it is diffucult to see the screen when waring polarized sunglasses. Not so on the Lexus.
Can anyone tell me how the E60 Nav is with polarized shades. I'm addicted to sunglasses and it's a drag having to tilt your head to see what's on the screen. ??????
Every lcd screen does this, you can test to turn your cell phone 90 degrees and you will notice that the screen goes black. (while having your polarized glasses on)

I did the beutiful thing of buying 180 Euro shades so that I could navigate better with the boat, but NO, the navigation screen is black unless I directly face the screen. This is all because of polarization, and Im sorry but nothinbg else can be made except buying new shades.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I find you just need to tilt your head a little one way or the other...

I love my polarised glasses... I'll never go back...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Polarized lens are so far superior in reducing road glare that the slight inconvience of having to tilt your head a bit to read the nav screen far outweighs the safty issue of seeing the road ahead.

·
Registered
101 Posts
From what I recall, the Lexus LS430 has the same problem, just not from viewing angle of the driver's seat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
also, to add, I heard it is not possible to see the head-up display with polarized glasses on?...
Not that it bothers me anyways since polarized are far better sunglasses...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
e60beast said:
also, to add, I heard it is not possible to see the head-up display with polarized glasses on?...
Not that it bothers me anyways since polarized are far better sunglasses...
Yup, HUD doesn't work with polarised glasses, since it works by projecting the numbers onto the (angled) screen.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just get yourself a set on non-polarized glasses for the racetrack. (You do drive on the track, don't you?)

When on track you really DO want to see any liquid spills on the track.

:noSMG:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polarized shades ARE definitley better. And Lexus has done something different because, as mentioned above, it is not an issue from the drivers side. I will definitely keep my polarized shades (but I'm getting the HUD ouich )
Don, not this car on the track (for a while) but I'm planning on the Mini once I get some aftermarket pads, fluid and lines :wroom: (hope all's well with you guys)
Off on vacation now and will try not to think about the M5 for a few days, right :cool2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts