BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
its been done, you'll probably end up spending anywhere between $5-10k once it's all said and done. If someone made a carbon roof panel for our cars, I'd seriously think about it!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can get it vinyl covered to match the paint and it'll look deleted besides the outline. As for actual removal and body re-work you're talking big bucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
tend to agree with the OP and the subsequent posts. Putting 20kg above your head lifting the COG, even in a GT, seems ridiculous to me. Never ever use it and would rather it wasn't there. But the cost to delete it, not a chance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
tend to agree with the OP and the subsequent posts. Putting 20kg above your head lifting the COG, even in a GT, seems ridiculous to me. Never ever use it and would rather it wasn't there. But the cost to delete it, not a chance.
I find it hard to agree that this is an issue in practice. The E60 M5 has such little body roll for a car of its size, so I cannot see where any complaint would come from that there is 20kg sitting above the roll center. If there is an aesthetic issue, I can understand the complaint, but dynamically I do not see the issue.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,520 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
41317111362 roof panel
41327111311 roof bow
41217153681 upper apron
41327111310 rear window upper frame
41127111211 rear window lower frame

51447897624 slick top Alcantara headliner??

if anyone has links to anyone who has done this please please let me know where I can find them.

as far as motivation, I despise sunroofs.
heavy, ugly, leaky. this car is a pig Id like to shave off a few lbs where I can w/o sacrificing the cars true luxurious nature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
41317111362 roof panel
41327111311 roof bow
41217153681 upper apron
41327111310 rear window upper frame
41127111211 rear window lower frame

51447897624 slick top Alcantara headliner??

if anyone has links to anyone who has done this please please let me know where I can find them.

as far as motivation, I despise sunroofs.
heavy, ugly, leaky. this car is a pig Id like to shave off a few lbs where I can w/o sacrificing the cars true luxurious nature.
ECS Tuning can get you any part that is on a BMW. But it's probably not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Though it wont net you your 30 lb weight savings, if you wrap your roof it'l get you the aesthetic of a slick top with out the astronomical price. Also could be undone if you want later for whatever reason.

Between the labor involved, sourcing parts or getting custom ones fabbed up, this is one of the rare times I'd say it's cheaper to add power with these cars.

If you're serious about shaving weight, I'd go for any rotational mass first i.e. wheels and drive shaft before chopping up the body structure. That will at least get you some meaningful pounds off of the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Though it wont net you your 30 lb weight savings, if you wrap your roof it'l get you the aesthetic of a slick top with out the astronomical price. Also could be undone if you want later for whatever reason.

Between the labor involved, sourcing parts or getting custom ones fabbed up, this is one of the rare times I'd say it's cheaper to add power with these cars.

If you're serious about shaving weight, I'd go for any rotational mass first i.e. wheels and drive shaft before chopping up the body structure. That will at least get you some meaningful pounds off of the car.
wrap is a gimmick. I want that slicktop Alcantara headliner when I look up :devil

if anyone can confirm the correct pn# for the non sunroof Alcantara headliner id appreciate it.
cf roof is popular with the 46 guys, id imagine the procedure is similar.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Everyplace that sells that part number with a picture shows a sunroof. If you're serious about it, I'd consider looking for a slick top from a junk 528i or the like and have an upholstery shop cover it with a matching material. very well might be cheaper too.

The e46 csl, e63, and e92 all had cf roofs as options from factory, so I think it's understandable why some people want to retrofit an option/mimic.

Not much of a market for a cf roof for a fat 4 door with every bell and whistle available when new except for cf. Kinda like ordering a whole pizza for yourself but having a diet coke because you're watching your weight imho.

If you do end up spending the $$$ with this project be sure to post some pictures of the process. I bet there are a few people that would be interested in seeing what's involved. Best of luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not much of a market for a cf roof for a fat 4 door with every bell and whistle available when new except for cf. Kinda like ordering a whole pizza for yourself but having a diet coke because you're watching your weight imho.
hmm, I wonder if that's why they put a carbon roof on the new even fatter f90 M5......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts