BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! nobody tried to put smg 2 slave cylinder on smg 3? The fte numbers are the same, and here and there fte 6768 22de...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
they look exactly the same, except for the mount, but it can be rearranged

·
Registered
559 Posts
The other thing to consider is the dimensions of the bore for the PLCD. It may be the same casting but different dimensions for that sensor hole.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing to consider is the dimensions of the bore for the PLCD. It may be the same casting but different dimensions for that sensor hole.
Yes, I thought about it, therefore I asked you. I just doubt that FTE produces two different cylinders with the same part numbers ...

·
Registered
559 Posts
It’s not uncommon practice for a mfg to have one or a set of dies/molds for a casting, then have certain features like hole diameter, location, etc be different. In the case of this part being compatible with SMG3, it may be that the sensor design physically different between what is used for SMG3 and SMG2. I’m pretty sure the cylinder part is similar. Also the piston design could be of a different metal so that the PCLD in SMG3 picks up the signal better. I’ve torn down a bad SMG3 slave and mentioned here before that the housing is not what fails. I still have it. The housing is very robust and anodized. If I had a SMG2 version I could easily compare. Easiest way to see if the sensor hole is the same is to stick in a real PCLD. Maybe it’s just the studs that make it different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s not uncommon practice for a mfg to have one or a set of dies/molds for a casting, then have certain features like hole diameter, location, etc be different. In the case of this part being compatible with SMG3, it may be that the sensor design physically different between what is used for SMG3 and SMG2. I’m pretty sure the cylinder part is similar. Also the piston design could be of a different metal so that the PCLD in SMG3 picks up the signal better. I’ve torn down a bad SMG3 slave and mentioned here before that the housing is not what fails. I still have it. The housing is very robust and anodized. If I had a SMG2 version I could easily compare. Easiest way to see if the sensor hole is the same is to stick in a real PCLD. Maybe it’s just the studs that make it different.
maybe you have encountered such a problem? when the ignition is on I hold the brake for a long time, about 5 minutes, when I release it I get 4fa0. no other errors.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I’ve never encountered something like this but I’ve never had my foot on the brake that long either. My SMG car is awaiting other parts so I can’t try it, maybe someone else can try it. With that code it seems to be more of a PCLD issue (could be wiring also)

if you do replace the slave do the stud mod that I spoke about a few months ago, it’s really quite simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve never encountered something like this but I’ve never had my foot on the brake that long either. My SMG car is awaiting other parts so I can’t try it, maybe someone else can try it. With that code it seems to be more of a PCLD issue (could be wiring also)

if you do replace the slave do the stud mod that I spoke about a few months ago, it’s really quite simple.
I think that it is not plcd hollow that there are no 510 codes.
Throw off the link, I can not find

·
Registered
559 Posts
I did this again last month this time removing them simply by striking it with a 5lb hammer. You still must use sockets like I mentioned though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
SMG III parts more expensive than SMG II??

Should be about 50% more expensive, kanyeshna!!

Yoblini Nemenski...

(sorry for not typing in cyrillic Siorka)

·
Registered
333 Posts
So all of this is very interesting but it comes down to someone willing to buy a SMG ll slave cylinder, doing dimensional inspections for direct comparison, and installing it on a SMG lll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So all of this is very interesting but it comes down to someone willing to buy a SMG ll slave cylinder, doing dimensional inspections for direct comparison, and installing it on a SMG lll

The problem is that in Russia cars with smg 2 are very rare. I can’t find a cylinder with us to try on ...

·
Registered
333 Posts
The problem is that in Russia cars with smg 2 are very rare. I can’t find a cylinder with us to try on ...
There are a handful of used ones at a low price on ebay. Maybe they are willing to ship to Russia.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It could be also quite a bit of work if it doesn't work out interms of not knowing if some other issues pop up and then having to change out the cylinder or sensors again. Given that you're in RU, it's much cheaper and faster to get parts from Germany.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It could be also quite a bit of work if it doesn't work out interms of not knowing if some other issues pop up and then having to change out the cylinder or sensors again. Given that you're in RU, it's much cheaper and faster to get parts from Germany.
yes friend i understand that. I just don’t know what to buy already, I can’t figure out what the problem is. All adaptations are successful, the only thing I don't like is the value of the overlap in remembering the characteristics of the clutch valve. after some time in motion, I get 4fa0. I put a new rolling bearing, changed 3 clutch valves, tried to put another slave cylinder, plcd. no changes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts