BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading back home on the I-95, and this SL600 start pulling next to me, trying to get me in the game, as much as it was tempting, I just passed my first 200 miles during break-in and had no intentions of ruining it... i'll get him later... :hihi:

Now, did anyone of you ever raced an SL600? should I be worried? :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Gadgets,

You should definitely treat the 600 line with kid gloves. Even in unmodded form they are a rocket ship (493 bhp and well over 500 lb ft of torque...and this is grossly underrated). The reality is, for about $4k-$6k you can get an ECU mod for any 600 line (S600, SL600, CL600) that will jump the HP to 600HP and the torque to nearly 700 lb ft. From a rolling start the M5 is toast.

It will still be fun, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darren ;)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
We encountered an SL600 with a friend's E39 M5, it was the funniest race I had ever seen!

Dont even bother! They're just too fast!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My family has an SL65. I've put more than half the miles on her and let me tell you its definitely a rocket. I don't feel as in control of the car as I do when I am going fast in a BMW though. In a straight line its ridiculous (604 hp - 738 lb/ft torque).

·
Registered
160 Posts
it's almost double the price of the M5 .. what you expect??
They are super car level, but i am just wonder if they handle as good as M5??

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
JosM5 said:
it's almost double the price of the M5 .. what you expect??
They are super car level, but i am just wonder if they handle as good as M5??
It's a "Mad Max" highway warior,very heavy but handles very well for it's heft.
Not nearly as nimble as the M5 though....

·
Company representative for Euroelites
145 Posts
Highly unlikely i think Gustav. The Renntech ECU/TCU and airbox upgrades make the 600/65 into a very powerful beast. We just have new dual TBs and new intake manifold being tested out. Oh by the way, we had the SLR type intercoolers install on an E55. Just fyi.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
AdamG said:
Highly unlikely i think Gustav. The Renntech ECU/TCU and airbox upgrades make the 600/65 into a very powerful beast. We just have new dual TBs and new intake manifold being tested out. Oh by the way, we had the SLR type intercoolers install on an E55. Just fyi.
We assume that SL was stock.
With modified cars all bets are off,once an innocent looking Golf walked all over my E55K Renntech....

·
Registered
559 Posts
darren_dallas said:
Gadgets,

You should definitely treat the 600 line with kid gloves. Even in unmodded form they are a rocket ship (493 bhp and well over 500 lb ft of torque...and this is grossly underrated). The reality is, for about $4k-$6k you can get an ECU mod for any 600 line (S600, SL600, CL600) that will jump the HP to 600HP and the torque to nearly 700 lb ft. From a rolling start the M5 is toast.

It will still be fun, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Regards,

Darren
I did the mod to my 03 CL 600. Ran a quarter mile in 11.90! Standing start, rolling start, above or below 100 mph, it makes no difference the bimmer will get beat. The v-12 benz is a monster. Same engine goes into the Pagani Zonda super car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr. Vroom said:
I did the mod to my 03 CL 600. Ran a quarter mile in 11.90! Standing start, rolling start, above or below 100 mph, it makes no difference the bimmer will get beat. The v-12 benz is a monster. Same engine goes into the Pagani Zonda super car.

What about without the mod? stock vs. stock on rolling 70-80mph++ ?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Gadgets,

Stock vs stock I don't think the 600 line will walk you. It would be a good race. The SL600 seems to pull better than a CL600 though and the fact he was so openly taunting you makes me think he most likely had an upgraded ecu (providing much more boost and about 600hp).

Mercedes in general (except the SLR) have a very poor intercooler design which affects them at higher RPM. The 600 line has a nice torque curve, but their gearing is not as optimal as the M5.

In the end, I don't really know who would win stock vs stock. It would be a great race. Just make sure you start at a good RPM in your power band because the 600 has great torque from the get go and not really any noticable turbo lag with their twin turbo setup in the 600.

I know it doesn't answer your question. I'm hoping you'll race him and let us know how it goes. Either way, they're both amazing cars and will be fun to run!

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
332 Posts
stock vs stock it would be close but I would say the SL600 would have the edge... can't really go by HP numbers, since they are way underrated...

check this stock SL600 vs SL600 renntech dyno sheet:

http://www.dragtimes.com/2007-Mercedes-Benz-SL600-Dyno-Results-Graphs-10167.html

stock they are putting down 476 rwhp and 537 rwtq.... not quite the 493HP that MB quotes..

after the renn mods forget it.... here are some numbers, with trap speeds that give a good idea about highway pulling power...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz--SL600-Drag-Racing.html

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Fikes,

I can promise you those are not stock numbers. I agree with you that the advertised numbers for the AMG and 600 lines are overly conservative (just like the M5 are as well), but not that conservative.

476rwhp would put the 600 at 560 bhp using a low 15% drivetrain loss (which is low for the mercedes 5 speed). Not accurate. I believe the dyno sheet link you posted shows two different modifications being tested. Possibly two different ecu tweaks, or ecu with 93 octane mapping and the second with 100 octane mapping...who knows...just not stock.

Regards,

Darren

1 - 20 of 27 Posts