BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog got into a skunk at a friend's house last night. I had to get home. I washed the dog and the pooch cover for the seat, but now my M5 smells like skunk instead of leather. Anyone have any experience with solving this issue?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Not sure, but I think you need to take it to a professional detailer that can give it a UV treatment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel for you!!!!!!!!!

My dog was sprayed TWICE in a two week period last month. He of course rubbed all over the rugs and furniture. After bathing him in a mix of hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dish soap (I found this remedy on the internet), he smelled better. I spent $500 to have the area rugs cleaned...had to throw away the couch (it was getting old anyway). It took 3-weeks for the smell to go away in the house...but, it did finally go away.

I would give the car a good cleaning (leather and carpets) and keep the windows down to make sure air is moving through for a while. Like my house, I bet the smell will slowly go away.

It's pretty funny, until it happens to you...Good Luck!

Ed

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
OH

BOY....

You've got a problem. (I would have tied the dog to a tree and come back with another car, put the dog in the trunk, tied the dog to the bumper and drove slow.... but seriously)

I've had multiple dogs get into it with skunks- the smell is astonishing. It lasts forever. Tomato juice works for the animal...well, tomatoe juice and a week outside..

You need someone with an ionizer to treat it. The charged air particles will bond to 'smell molecules' and take them out of the air. Washing will probably not do it- the stuff has now permeated the car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. It's all just part of the experience of owning a dog I guess. You'd think he would learn. This is his second encounter, but the first involving the car. Actually the first encounter wasn't bad at all -- as far as smell.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Digi said:
Thanks for the advice. It's all just part of the experience of owning a dog I guess. You'd think he would learn. This is his second encounter, but the first involving the car. Actually the first encounter wasn't bad at all -- as far as smell.
Lucky-

Dog must be slow-

One time my dobbie proudly came back with a dead skunk.. :)

Ard

·
Registered
434 Posts
ard said:
Lucky-

Dog must be slow-

One time my dobbie proudly came back with a dead skunk.. :)

Ard
Now we're getting off topic but we've had a dobbie in the family that routinely (once every two weeks in the summer!) would come home with a skunk and leave nothing but the pelt as evidence... I won't get into the details but this dog was so fast that the skunks never saw it coming. Not once was he sprayed, and he somehow knew how to avoid the glands when "chowing down"...

Country dogs..... ya gotta see it to believe it. :eek:

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts