BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry fellow 6sp owners, but after two months and ~5K miles I can no longer take the 6sp shifter. It is vague, long, and seems cheap. This is not in step with the precision the rest of the car exudes. Frankly, this shifter feels the same as my son's Dinan 3 shifter which was pathetic. (He wimped out and went with paddles on his M3 :)

So I will be going to a short throw shifter soon. It seems that there are two choices: (1) the UUC short throw; and (2) Bavarian Autosport shifter. Is there pluses and minuses to both? Their designs both seem improved over factory.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
never heard of anybody doing this on an M5. I've installed short shifters on some of my previous cars. My opinion of Short shifters in general is that they make the shifting action much more pleasing and mechanical but at the cost of noise + vibration.

you will hear gear whine + synchos spinning up and your shift knob will be like a giant metal vibrator. I am interested to see if anyone has done this in an M5/6.

didn't care about the noise in my STI. it was already a loud econobox anyways but would really takes the luxury aspect out of the M5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is all from memory so please excuse all and many errors. There was a article in Roundel, I believe, last month about a valve or cylinder that BMW installs on all manual transmissions that restricts fluid flow to and from the clutch. They do this so you cannot beat up the car. I also have a 6 speed and always felt that it wasn't up to BMW standards. I have a call into my independent mechanic to ask him if he knows what I'm talking about. In the article there is a company that basically strips out this part so you basically hook it up and no other modification is needed.

I've been curious since reading the article if it will help in the "shifting" motion of the transmission. I will let you know as soon as I hear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My UUC shifter will be here tomorrow and I will also install it tomorrow, hopefully. UUC makes a fantastic product. I installed one in my last car (CTS-V) and it was a dream. These also don't add any extra vibration or added noise due to the isolator built into it.

The clutch valve J4site is talking about is not installed on M cars. Thank you BMW!

I hope this helps a little and I will provide first hand feedback this weeked, stay tuned...

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is all from memory so please excuse all and many errors. There was a article in Roundel, I believe, last month about a valve or cylinder that BMW installs on all manual transmissions that restricts fluid flow to and from the clutch. They do this so you cannot beat up the car. I also have a 6 speed and always felt that it wasn't up to BMW standards. I have a call into my independent mechanic to ask him if he knows what I'm talking about. In the article there is a company that basically strips out this part so you basically hook it up and no other modification is needed.

I've been curious since reading the article if it will help in the "shifting" motion of the transmission. I will let you know as soon as I hear.
This is called the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) and I don't think M5 cars have it installed. My e36 M3 had it and I removed it and it did make a difference shifting. However - my e39 M5 didn't have one so I 'm sure the e60 M5 does not have it either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My UUC shifter will be here tomorrow and I will also install it tomorrow, hopefully. UUC makes a fantastic product. I installed one in my last car (CTS-V) and it was a dream. These also don't add any extra vibration or added noise due to the isolator built into it.

The clutch valve J4site is talking about is not installed on M cars. Thank you BMW!

I hope this helps a little and I will provide first hand feedback this weeked, stay tuned...

please do. I saw that Active Autowerks has one as well. looks to be similar design.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is called the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) and I don't think M5 cars have it installed. My e36 M3 had it and I removed it and it did make a difference shifting. However - my e39 M5 didn't have one so I 'm sure the e60 M5 does not have it either.
I had this in my 06 330i. I had it modified and the difference was tremendous. I've
been trying to figure out if the M5 has one or not.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hope you find what you're looking for.

I personally like the shifter. I had an E46 M3 (2006) and it is the exact same shifter, appearance and feel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Question,

I am looking at this short shift kit: Turner Motorsport | UUC Short Shift Kit - Evo 3 - E60 M5

I am assuming this is the UUC you are all talking about. However the OEM shift knob is lighted (red LED under the gear pattern) and I was wondering if the wiring for that accessory would fit through or with this SSK. I am assuming the factory shift knob will work with this kit so it will likely have provisions for the wiring just wanted to make sure.

Also awaiting info on the feel of this shift kit thank you.

While we are discussing shifting, does anyone elses third gear shift feel like the synchro is working harder than the rest? I complained to the dealer about this feeling but they said it was "normal M5 blah blah blah". Its just not as smooth when going into that gear, there is no clash or grind but I can feel the synchro slowing the gear down and it takes an extra tenth of a second or so to slide into that gear. Maybe it's just me but if anyone can elaborate on their experience with that issue I'd appreciate it. I'd imagine this kit to help with that feeling as well so...

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Started a new thread with a review guys.

tdonnell- Yes, I have the Turnermotorsports/UUC kit. As far as the shift knob, the UUC accepts the factory knob and the wiring is connected to the car and shift knob, you simply disconnect via a small connection and plug back in during re-installation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts