BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I picked up a 2000 M5 with 80k miles, it's a one owner vehicle that has sat for years neglected and unattended. The car originally got towed to BMW back in 2016 for an intermittent no start condition. Long story short they couldn't replicate the problem, and it sat in their lot baking in the sun until the interior got ruined from sun fade and the owner just didn't want it anymore. When I picked it up, I was told the last time anyone had it running was a little over a year ago and it would start up and drive fine.

First thing I did when I got it was install a new fuel pump and sending unit on both sides along with a new battery. Fuel pump was completely gone and all the wires associated were deteriorating badly. Turn the key to start it and all the lights come on, but nothing happens. No relay clicks, no fuel pump whining, no starter click, nothing. Every fuse (glovebox, next to the DME box, in the trunk) is fine, as are the fuse block next to the battery (200AMP main fuse, etc).

INPA gives me error codes 106, 139, 132, 133, 44, 58, 59, 81, 118, 119, 60, 61, 117, 66, and 54. Unfortunately my INPA is all in German but using an Autel scanner with the 20 Pin Adapter gives me

6A: Brake lamp switch signal
8B: Tempomat operation interruption
2C: Thermal oil level sensor signal
3A: Voltage supply, sensors
3B: Voltage supply, sensors
51: Interface, multifunction steering wheel
3C: pedal position sensor 1 signal
3D: pedal position sensor 2 signal
76: Electric throttle: signal, potentiometer bank 1
77: Electric throttle: signal, potentiometer bank 2
84: CAN timeout, DSC
85: CAN timeout, LWS
42: EWS 3.3 interface: no DME-EWS communication
36: system voltage, main relay

Most seem like low voltage codes, but won't clear and I know the DME-EWS communication fault will prevent it from starting.

Scanning EWS gives me
0E: Control module internal fault
0F: Voltage supply of EWS3 control module

Both codes cleared out fine and did not return.

Trying to realign the DME and EWS with INPA doesn't work, just gives me error messages I can't read, but doing it with Autel gives me "Transfer fault, check the line between the DME and EWS"

So I figure my EWS is probably dead. I figured I could try to bypass the EWS to see if it would start. To do this I used the MSS5x Binary tool. It allows you to change settings on the ECU Map to delete EWS + EWS Tampering. Downloaded the ROM of the ECU using BMWFlash, made a copy, wrote the EWS Delete into that one, reflashed the DME with the modified ROM.

Still no change. I'm at a loss for the next step. Any ideas?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My best guess: there's a bunch of extremely important fuses hidden in a junction box on the floor under the carpet of the passengers side footwell. If stored outside/somewhere damp, my bet is water got down in there and corroded all of those +12v distribution connections, and so bunch of important stuff is either getting no or low power due to this. See here:

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
The under floor fuses are a good bet, but the main relay code gets my attention. They are cheap and a frequent failure point. Don't mess with the EWS until you have the other codes cleared up. The EWS is not causing them but they could cause the EWS code. I would replace the main relay first then look at the ignition switch, all while I am getting under the floor as that is a bit of work. There is a ton of stuff to do and try not to break the foam.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,695 Posts
IIRC an EWS problem will allow the car to crank.
Do you have access to wiring diagrams? If so you can avoid tearing up your floorboard at least for now.
I would check for voltage at the main relay and starter, for starters.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
If so you can avoid tearing up your floorboard at least for now.
I would check for voltage at the main relay and starter, for starters.
Hard to confirm with just 2000 model year but on the early 2000 the starter relay is under the floor and not fed via the main relay. But yes avoiding the floor removal is good until you know you must. He could look for signs of moisture in the carpet and on the floor to get a hint if there is moisture below. If there is then the under floor is the best bet for failure.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
There are also 4? 30A fuses near the main relay in the DME box. Be sure to check those. I'd also check the large ground wire between the engine and frame rail, front right side of the engine bay near the AC compressor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so here’s an update. There was an inch or so of standing water in the passenger floorboard after I pulled up the carpet, all fuses test fine though. Cleaned everything up and reassembled, no change.

EWS will not realign with the DME with any scanner I use, and if I pull live data from the EWS there’s a section that shows it’s blocking power to the starter, so I think there might be some underlying issue there.

Pulled the EWS and I’m sending it to Precision ECU which has a ton of good reviews for their EWS repair service, some of which sound like my issue. I figure either it works or not, but if it doesn’t at least I can move to the next step.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,695 Posts
Water on the floorboard. Fuse 110 is there. It supplies power to fuse 12 which powers the EWS. The fuse itself can be good but corrosion in the connections or wire could be resisting enough current to power it. You should do voltage drop testing from the battery to fuse 12. Clean connectors and look at wires for corrosion, replace/repair as needed.
Also have you confirmed voltage at the fuel pump?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts