BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
More Info:

Near as I can tell, the new Sirius receiver is a 65.120.398.140

THis supercedes both the -365 version (which was for the Nav equipped cars) and the -981 (which would not work for nav).

You need to make sure that whatever module you buy works in a nav equipped car. BTW, there is only one sirius module now (the 65..140 number) and it is for both nav and non-nav. You will note that it has the part number that connotes a radio (65.) and not an electrical accessory (84.)

A note on the 'dreaded' stereo thing- the 'problem' is an actual error in the firmware. Replacing with the same radio is not the fix BMW recommends. The dealer is talking out of their tailpipe.

Good luck- I don't listen to anything else. I want one for the house!

A

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was told 3 months on the new part number (65.12.0.398.140), and that there was PROBABLY no new function, just new source.

I found an old one (84.11.0.153.365) and I am picking it up tomorrow.
They had to order the extension cable.

Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Went to get my "old" Sirius Receiver today and guess what they gave me?

A "new" one (65.12.0.398.140)

There is a difference in the hardware:

There is one greenish-yellow connector for the antenna instead of 1 white 1 blue. This means that the splitter and ALC unit that came with the antenna were not used at all.

Pic with Flash (see connectors)

Without Flash (read label[almost])

Note: HW 1.0 SW 1.0 Serial #577 - Pretty new I guess

Everything else was the same and I installed it based on ard's instructions (minus the antenna; I just set it on the trunk for now) and then activated it and .... SUCCESS!

Now I just gotta do something with that antenna.

Anybody have access to the default installation instructions for the antenna (84.11.0.392.099) ? Mine didnt come with any.

Many thanks to ard and all other contributors to this subject here.

Ryan

·
Registered
480 Posts
What a great thread!! Now I'm jazzed to upgrade my '01 beast to Mark IV GPS and Sirius. A clarification, please, from those of you who have done the upgrade:

In the TSB, the part # for the Sirius-ready radio is 65.12.4.135.562. In the bimmer.nav site, the part # for the Sirius-ready radio is listed as 65.12.6.927.910. Which is the correct (or preferred) part?

Thanks,

Wilkie

·
Registered
61 Posts
?????? Almost there!!!,
Finally got all the components installed last night but still a NO GO. I have the MK4 NAV unit and the newer SIRIUS P/N 65 12 0 398 140. My local dealer replaced the radio in accordance with TSB Service Measure B65 209 04. I checked all the wiring several times but "SIRIUS" never appears on the head unit's display. Then I noiced that the new Business radio that was installed has what appears to be two part numbers.....WTF? What looks like the original P/N sticker has P/N 65 12 6 927 910 whereas the "newer" sticker has P/N 65 12 4 135 562 with a date of 02 April 2004. Is this the manufacurer's P/N or was this part updated or remanufactured or maybe BMW solved the dreaded "Stereo to Mono" with a different unit? My guess is that this radio unit may be the source of my problems but it's strictly a guess.....any clues???
Thanks again,
Achtung ??????

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
///M_Addict said:
Did you set the radio to USA mode?
Your radio must not be in USA mode

Turn the radio on and immediately push and hold the SEL button for 5-10 seconds until the radio serial number is shown. Using the <> key scroll until you find the area mode- it may be in Europe or No area. Use the number keys to select USA, maybe #1 or 2. Turn off your radio and see if Sirius works.

Made this mistake with mine...

A

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ard and M Addict ,
Thanks for the insight, but it didn't cure my woes. It is now set on USA and the MODE button seems to toggle really slowly between modes????
Thanks,
Achtung

·
Registered
85 Posts
Specifically, I am referring to the Radio mode as described in Ard's post above. I ran into this same exact issue this weekend during my install. At first I did not have a Sirius option on my Nav screen but could hear the preview channel when I selected CDC via the mode button. When I checked my radio was set to NoArea. I set it to USA and power cycled it. Then I did have a Sirius option and it worked fine!

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
achtung said:
Ard and M Addict ,
Thanks for the insight, but it didn't cure my woes. It is now set on USA and the MODE button seems to toggle really slowly between modes????
Thanks,
Achtung
Hmm, that's interesting, did you power cycle the radio? Could be the radio though. Have you checked the Navigation forum at www.bimmerboard.com?

Good Luck!
Dave

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hmmm, now that radio PN seems suspicious.

What does the paperwork/work order from the dealership say? Mine had the correct (per TSB) number listed there, and the right radio in the car.

Sorry-

maybe drop martin a note at bimmernav see what he might know?

A

·
Registered
109 Posts
My radio was replaced with part 65-12-4-135-562 because of the service measure in January.

I just completed the Sirius install and everything is works great

Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am wondering if your Nav has new enough firmware (not Nav Software version).
Do you hear the Sirius preview channel when you are in CD mode?

I have a 9/02 build '03 but my Nav unit was replaced under warranty after a failure late last year.

Ryan

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: Sirius Sattellite radio installation on a 2003 M5

Ard, where did you get that plastic clip remover tool? I always break those things? I saw it was a snap on and checked their site. Don't know what kind of tool it is called, or have a modle number. Thanks for the help.

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts

BrianS said:
Ard, where did you get that plastic clip remover tool? I always break those things? I saw it was a snap on and checked their site. Don't know what kind of tool it is called, or have a modle number. Thanks for the help.

Brian
I think I got mine at Home Depot. I used to break them all the time as well but haven't broken any using this tool:

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts

mdernst said:
I think I got mine at Home Depot. I used to break them all the time as well but haven't broken any using this tool:
Thanks. I see if my Home Depot has the same tool. Looks like it may be a common item.

Brian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

BrianS said:

Brian

It is a snap on tool. My guess is a good auto parts store might have it, and any Mac or snapon van will.

Oh, you can also take a stiff putty knife and grind a smooth 'U' in the end...

A

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Picture of the Nissan Sigma antenna (glass mount)

41 - 60 of 76 Posts