BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I almost had a heart attack, just a few minutes ago. The BMW tech had completed the Sirius radio install but there was no Sirius radio data coming on the Nav screen. It was just a matter of being coded for the USA. The entire Sirius radio system works 100%. I just finished speaking with a Sirius rep., and she signed me up for the one year membership. In less than five minutes, the Sirius radio channels wrre operating. I feel like a five year old kid being able to get this particular mod done. It's sssoooo cool to have the Sirius radio in the beast! Tomorrow, the tech will mount & install my new HRE rims onto the car. Once this is done, I'll be meeting up with Dave Z. at hois place to have him install the BBK onto the beast. :15:
:1:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats on the install!!! What's life without a little excitement? You'll enjoy it. I have immensely after only 1 week. Ciao, 5 Driver cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
5driver,
I have to thank you along with others who have posted their own experiences along with valuable information, which made getting the Sirius radio possible. There's no way I'd ever go out on a limb, without the expertise of guys like you! Thanks so much my M5 brother.
Robert :hihi:

·
Registered
168 Posts
FAST 5 said:
5driver,
I have to thank you along with others who have posted their own experiences along with valuable information, which made getting the Sirius radio possible. There's no way I'd ever go out on a limb, without the expertise of guys like you! Thanks so much my M5 brother.
Robert :hihi:
The exchange of information and experience is what makes this board so useful and wins the support of us all. My contributions have been minor. I consider Ard to be the father of the Sirius install!! He has guided us all through maze of "stereo to mono fade," the TSB and the incomparable installation pictorial. It's he who we really need to thank. Thank you, Ard, wherever you are. Anyway, its been a good experience. 5 Driver :hihi:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5driver said:
The exchange of information and experience is what makes this board so useful and wins the support of us all. My contributions have been minor. I consider Ard to be the father of the Sirius install!! He has guided us all through maze of "stereo to mono fade," the TSB and the incomparable installation pictorial. It's he who we really need to thank. Thank you, Ard, wherever you are. Anyway, its been a good experience. 5 Driver :hihi:
YES..... YES......... YES................
A BIG thank you to our man Ard ! can't forget him, and his valuable posts.
:hihi:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Robert,

I too am working on getting Sirius radio. My dealer did the radio upgrade to the newest. Tomorrow I hope to get the NAV changed to the MK4/DVD unit. Once that is in place.... on goes the Sirius receiver, etc... A special thanks to ard and the write up for the install. :cheers:

I have been also following your audio upgrade. espically the sub-woofers and extra amp to drive them. Do you have a wiring diagram as to how you had this done? I would be most appreciative.
:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
5driver said:

Ard ?? Hate to nit pick, but I think I got him beat :p

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brother Bock.............

mr_bock said:
Robert,

I too am working on getting Sirius radio. My dealer did the radio upgrade to the newest. Tomorrow I hope to get the NAV changed to the MK4/DVD unit. Once that is in place.... on goes the Sirius receiver, etc... A special thanks to ard and the write up for the install. :cheers:

I have been also following your audio upgrade. espically the sub-woofers and extra amp to drive them. Do you have a wiring diagram as to how you had this done? I would be most appreciative.
:D

Ididn't do the install, it was done by a top end stereo shop approx. 2 years ago, when I first purchased the car. I did have the schematics but at this point, i can't recall where they might be. Basement storage or garage. If I find it, I'll surely be in touch.
Robert

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
5driver said:
... I consider Ard to be the father of the Sirius install!! He has guided us all through maze of "stereo to mono fade," the TSB and the incomparable installation pictorial. It's he who we really need to thank. Thank you, Ard, wherever you are. Anyway, its been a good experience. 5 Driver :hihi:
Oh man... not at all.

El Mono was the first here, and Mdernst perhaps the grandfather on other boards...

I just packaged the info and put it in one place!

Just kind of paying it forward...

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
FAST 5 said:
I just finished speaking with a Sirius rep., and she signed me up for the one year membership.
Is the first year still free?

Makes the sirius radio a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ard said:
Is the first year still free?

Makes the sirius radio a pretty good deal!

Hi Ard,
The free one yr. subscription is ONLY for 2005 & 2006 model 6 series, 5 series and probably 7 series cars. Being that my car isn't a 2005 model it doesn't qualify for this perk. :(
I decided to go on a month to month basis intead of committing for the annual contract. Reason...... from December to April (5 months) my car is in winter hibernation/storage, inside my garage, so its not worth paying for the yearly membership service.
Robert

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Hi Ard,
The free one yr. subscription is ONLY for 2005 & 2006 model 6 series, 5 series and probably 7 series cars. Being that my car isn't a 2005 model it doesn't qualify for this perk. :(
I decided to go on a month to month basis intead of committing for the annual contract. Reason...... from December to April (5 months) my car is in winter hibernation/storage, inside my garage, so its not worth paying for the yearly membership service.
Robert
Huh. I just called up and they activated it for a free year. I guess because that receiver doesn't tell sirius what car it is installed in!

:)

And the guy at Sirius never asked- just said "BMW, that comes with a free year".

Luck I guess.

A

·
Registered
235 Posts
I guess it's all about who you talk to .. and at what point you call them. I did not do all my research ahead of time, and was going month to month. When I finally found out about the year free, (right after buying a years subscription) I called and got a pr!ck. Dude actually asked me for my VIN, and said that the year didn't cover my model. I guess I could try and call back and get someone else more receptive, but ... why rock the boat. They'd prolly screw it up and delete my wife's account, and nothing worse than a woman without sirius :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could I ask what the total cost was to get to Sirius for your car? I've got a MY00 and would love to have Sirius, but when I start adding the costs of MKIV computer, 16:9 screen, Sirius module - it starts to look like an expensive endeavor just to get a factory integrated solution.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got my sirius module and mounting kit from crevier.

I got my antenna locally cause I couldn't wait for the back ordered small antenna at the time.

I think it was about 300-ish. Don't know if it's any more or less now.

For you, if your car is still under "warranty" the radio upgrade would be free. If not, I think the radio is another 400.

If it were me .. absolutely worth it... oh wait it was :) The one mod that I enjoy EVERY time I get in my car. Just my biased .02

·
Registered
947 Posts
tomlavelle said:
Could I ask what the total cost was to get to Sirius for your car? I've got a MY00 and would love to have Sirius, but when I start adding the costs of MKIV computer, 16:9 screen, Sirius module - it starts to look like an expensive endeavor just to get a factory integrated solution.
What I ended up doing in my 01, was to install an adapter from Blitzsafe that has an AUX port (RCA inputs). I currently have my mp3 player plugged into it but just bought a Sirius PnP unit from JVC for $128 that will connect into the AUX input as well as be able to connect it to my wife's car or at home (though not really necessary since you can get the music over the Internet and pipe it into your stereo system). Its not as clean as the other solutions but it works for me and was really cost effective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts