BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, i have the new nav system put in, new radio set to usa mode, i have cd changer and dsp. everything is installed correctly, the sirius system shows up on my nav screen and has been activated, BUT nothing comes out. and it is not registering any stations, it has been reactivated a number of times. does anyone have any idea what may be the problem. sirius says it may be a defective unit, but i don't know, it has been a b*tch to get it to the point where it shows the sirius on the nav screen, but now i can't get past the call 888-539-sirius part...

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
this may be a stupid response, but are you parked outside? no overhead obstructions? My car is pretty sensitive to anything overhead, as far as sirius reception goes. Can you hear the "intro" station, or no audio at all?
Mike

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Check antenna connections?

Is is getting ANY sirius signal? I seem to recall there is a channel you get without a subscription. If you are not getting that then the receiver is not getting any OTA programming/activation.

Just a WAG

A

PS Where is the antenna? Maybe move it temporarily to see if it is in a bad location?

·
Registered
235 Posts
184 is the preview channel ...

The fact that you see "Sirius" is a good thing, unfortunately the fact no sound .. that isn't.

When I first installed my Sirius, with the older (wrong) radio, I could flip to something, but even then I had sound.

Could be a bad Sirius module.. I know you didn't want to hear that.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
If you're in Granite Bay, I'm in Shingle Springs- we could try your module in my car.... shoot me a PM.

Adam

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ard said:
If you're in Granite Bay, I'm in Shingle Springs- we could try your module in my car.... shoot me a PM.

Adam
just did through m5board.

no, no signal whatsoever, no sound, nothing but the preview channel visible (no sound). NOTHING. AAARRRGGHHH!

Yeah, i did it outside, drove around, did everything, clear signal shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to jump in here but I went to the dealer and asked if Sirius could be intergrated in with existing raido and nav screen ('02 M5) and they said no. I assumed I had to have one of the Sirius head units in the car. Is that not the case? If no, can one of you direct me to a thread or site on how to do it?

Thanks...

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
You need a different radio and a mark 4 nav unit.... so you CAN do it, but the cost will be high. Search here for 'sirius'. Figure a radio is $300 (guess) a nav is $800, and the sirius is $300.

Of course on the upside you get the upgraded nav unit...

A

PS The original poster had a bad sirius unit (bad out of the box)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Iamderek,

I went through all kinds of hell with my install. First, the whole wiring 3 wires into the 12 wire loom without instructions. Got past that. Then, only had left channel audio. Went crazy with that one, and it wound up being a bad radio. Then, got the new radio, but they sent me the "old" new radio, and my cd player ran on when I wasn't using it. After my 3rd radio, all was fixed for a while. Then my Sirius cut out occassionally, and then it wouldn't work at all. Took it to BMW and showed the receipts from Crevier BMW (where I bought all of the stuff), and they covered for a new Sirius radio module. It still had problems cutting out. They replaced the antenna with a loose retrofit hanging on my trunk. When I said I wanted it installed inside, they said that they could not, and left my old antenna in on the inside of my rear deck. Had problems cutting out again, and then burnt out a fuse in the Sirius unit. Took it back, and they replaced the antenna and the fuse, and now all works fine. Finally!

So, loooooong story short, it could be a bad radio, bad Sirius module, or a bad antenna, providing that everything is hooked up correctly. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, see if they will diagnose the problem.

By the way, I do love my Sirius radio!

Brian

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi all, so what is the case here? Can you install Sirius Radio on a 02' M5 ? Mine is 02 prod. 04/02 is it worth the time and money do mess around?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes you can.

Check out the threads: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=439754

You need a new MKIV nav unit, new radio, sirius module, antenna, and wiring harnesess. Is it worth it, that's up to you. I love mine, even with all of the headaches getting it right.

Brian

M5Racer said:
Hi all, so what is the case here? Can you install Sirius Radio on a 02' M5 ? Mine is 02 prod. 04/02 is it worth the time and money do mess around?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Brian I'll check it out. My radio/nav unit was replaced about a month ago (under warrany) is it possible I have the MKIV? Do you still get fm/am with the new radio?

Another question for everyone:

XM or Sirius and why?

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
static said:
Thanks Brian I'll check it out. My radio/nav unit was replaced about a month ago (under warrany) is it possible I have the MKIV? Do you still get fm/am with the new radio?

Another question for everyone:

XM or Sirius and why?
Mk4 is the nav computer, not the radio. If you have an 02, you have a mk3 nav computer, unless you updated it. Yes, you still get fm,am, cd, tape, and can also wire in an aux input, if you want, with the new radio (for an ipod, for example).

As for xm or siruis, i went sirius for the clean integration into my nav display, you can get an xm kit to do that now too, but still need all of the other sirius parts. Besides that it's down to content. My wife's lexus has xm, i have sirius in my m5, they're both good, each has it's pros and cons.
Mike

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
static said:
Can I get the upgrade at a dealer or car audio place?

I live in Los Angeles can anyone suggest a good place?

Thanks
You will need to do this yourself. It requires all BMW parts- but the "official" line from BMW is that it can't be done.

Plenty of testimonials/'how I did it" posts here and other boards. Do a search.

Perhaps, once you've done the research and figured what you need, you can find a place to do the install- but it will be pretty hard to find a shop that does this upgrade...

Good luck

A

·
Registered
78 Posts
ard said:
You will need to do this yourself. It requires all BMW parts- but the "official" line from BMW is that it can't be done.

Plenty of testimonials/'how I did it" posts here and other boards. Do a search.

Perhaps, once you've done the research and figured what you need, you can find a place to do the install- but it will be pretty hard to find a shop that does this upgrade...

Good luck

A
Oh, I have a hard time using a toster oven! So I don't think I am the man to do the upgrade. I'll see if I can find someone not "handy-man challenged" ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts