BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boil it down for me - Sirius Help Needed

I've trolled through all the old Sirius messages. Well, as many as I could. And I'm still struggling to determine if I can get Sirius working in my car.

Here are the facts on my car.

2003 Model (12/02 build)
CD Changer in truck
DVD Nav (widescreen) - settings page shows "SW 4-1/12" is upper right corner
Sticker on DVD itself says: HW 1.0.1 / SW 1.2
I do experience the M5 Radio problem (mono-stereo)
Integrated Cell Phone (CPT8000-Light grey Motorola phone) - I no longer use it, however.
BMW Assist - Used to have it, but no longer pay for it
Voice Assist - DO NOT HAVE IT

From what I can tell, I need to have the radio replaced to fix the mono-stereo problem, as well as also buy the Sirius unit.

Do I need to buy a new NAV, CD player, or replace the CPT8000?
Am I precluded from getting BlueTooth installed at any point if I put i Sirius? Or would that replace the CPT8000 stuff?

If someone could summary my needed items, I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Re: Boil it down for me - Sirius Help Needed

wow, another person with "black M5" handle, i first thought you were the 'other black m5' with the supercharger...

anyway. You're on track. You need the updated radio. Your nav computer might work, it's worth trying before buying a new one. I upgraded my nav to mk4 long before i new of sirius, so i do not have the latest nav computer, yet sirius works.

bluetooth is totally separate, and yes, it will replace your cpt8k system. bt and sirius can coexist, no problems. i have both.

so in summary, you need a new radio unit and a sirius unit. I'm not sure if things have changed with the sirius receivers. There was not an application listed for the e39 with nav when i did mine. I used the p/n from bimmernav.com, which i think is for an e46 with nav. Interestingly, there is a sirius bracket for the e39 to mount the receiver.
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yes - I created my handle before I realized that someone else had a similar name. Mine has no space in the name.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to bring my car to the dealer and tell them about the radio to get that fixed first. Incidentally, I had emailed BMW NA back in 2003 to ask them about this problem and they said there was no fix yet. When I spoke to the service department manager, I was sensing some hesitation about doing it. They said, "well we need to check everything out. Go for a test drive, etc. etc.". I mentioned the TSD, but I think they're going to put me through the ringer before in order to get this done.

I told them, they are free to follow me around for a week to listen for the noise, since it is sporadic.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

BlackM5 said:
I mentioned the TSD, but I think they're going to put me through the ringer before in order to get this done.
Bring a copy of it with you- point out that IT DOES NOT REQUIRE VERIFICATION. "Based on customer complaint replace...."

Yes, you can add sirius. Question: what firmware is in the nav/dvd unit??

Mine was built 2 months before yours- I posted a pictorial
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715&highlight=2003+install+sirius

good luck

A

PS I'd suggest NOT mentioning this to the dealer- just keep the radio thing separate for now... officially, this can't be done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The sticker on the NAV says HW 1.0.1 / SW 1.2

These are the same versions that someone posted in another thread. Even had a picture of the NAV. Seemed to work.

I'll try to get it working with current NAV, then if it doesn't, think about upgrading.

OH - I did bring the TSD to the dealer tonight. They'll "get back to me tomorrow".

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

BlackM5 said:
OH - I did bring the TSD to the dealer tonight. They'll "get back to me tomorrow".
Why is it that some dealers have determined they need to be a$$holes about some stuff? One dealer just does what you want, and BMW pays the bill... another bends you over and BMW ultimately past the bills. The dealer that more readily passes the buck to BMW winds up with HIGHER owner approval ratings. It seems a no-brainer.

Oh, my reason for asking about firmware was that the rumor was that 3.0 was the minimum... could be that others work with varying minor differences..

good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts

BlackM5 said:
Sticker on DVD itself says: HW 1.0.1 / SW 1.2

Do I need to buy a new NAV, CD player, or replace the CPT8000?
Am I precluded from getting BlueTooth installed at any point if I put i Sirius? Or would that replace the CPT8000 stuff?

If someone could summary my needed items, I'd appreciate it.
You don't need to change your NAV unit - that is the same HW/SW I have and Sirius works fine with it.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=558891#post558891

·
Registered
76 Posts

ard said:
Bring a copy of it with you- point out that IT DOES NOT REQUIRE VERIFICATION. "Based on customer complaint replace...."

Yes, you can add sirius. Question: what firmware is in the nav/dvd unit??

PS I'd suggest NOT mentioning this to the dealer- just keep the radio thing separate for now... officially, this can't be done.
BTW, the latest bulletin indicates it DOES REQUIRE VERIFICATION.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

mdernst said:
BTW, the latest bulletin indicates it DOES REQUIRE VERIFICATION.
That's fresh off the press. Well, that's good to know I guess.

I suppose it was bound to happen- afterall, these posts are all public and BMW is reading these pretty regularly.

My read is that any radio failure will result in replacement with the newest radio number- ie there is only one replacement radio and it is the 972.665 radio. So any radio failure (like an accidental internal short...) would result in replacement with the 'correct for sirius' radio.

Edit:

Any tips on how best to 'reproduce' this issue? do you need to find a weak/marginal FM station? My guess is that finding a weak FM station AT THE DEALERSHIP LOCATION would improve the chances of this showing up.... any ideas?

A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts