BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you explain how to get the satellite antenna into the trunk to the Sirius receiver? I know how to run the antenna across the back windshield and then down the side.

I don't see any potential openings from the bottom of the windshield (where the antenna comes out of the windshield's rubber gasket) to the inside of the trunk.

Am I supposed to remove the wiring gasket on the right on inside of the trunk lid, and run the antenna through the back seat somehow?

P.S. I won't put the antenna on the rear parcel shelf because it interferes with my Valentine One.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tomorrow i will take some pics of how i ran my cable... not elegant by any means but it does the job... concealed from the outside and almost invisible except for the wires that plug into the receiver which i place in front of the cupholders...

basically i ran it thru the back seat and underneath the drivers side door trim right where the rug starts... then pulled it out and ran it under the carpet mat....

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If I recall, the BMW antenna has instructions that specifically describe this. From memory, it just flops up over the trunk rubebr gasket- A tie wrap to hold it roughly in place. I thought it pretty sloppy when I read it.

How does the antenna interfere with the VI?! I have a V1 as well as the sirius antenna on top of the middle brake light and it doesn't seem to interfere... besides the antenna should be passive.

A

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have attached the antenna install document. Check out the instructions for E46 Sedan/Coupes. Basically, you have have to drill a hole into the trunk compartment. The antenna comes with a grommet to seal it.

Cheers!
Dave
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ard,

On my '05 M3 coupe, I first installed the Sirius antenna in the center tether. My V1 constantly (read: non-stop) picked up a low K-band signal. As an experiment, I kept the V1 on, and unplugged the Sirius antenna from the Sirius receiver. The V1 no longer went off.

As I was watching through the back windshield, I plugged the antenna back in, V1 immediately starts picking up a K-band signal. I decided to move the antenna to the roof.

(I have the single antenna plug-in (yellow)).

Dave,

Thanks for the instructions. I already have these because, as noted above, I already installed Sirius into my M3.

While I was looking over the M5 trunk situation, I thought some drilling might be required.

Me...with a power drill...to the trunk of my M5...means uh-oh.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup,
At step 10 where it says to remove the rubber plug is where you need to drill through the trunk for an e39 since there would not be a hole there already.

Dave
:noSMG:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"...my V1 in All Bogeys doesn't pick up the antenna... I assumed you put it on the roof or trunk and the V1 ignores it now?"

Yes. The roof mount is false-bogey free. I didn't want a trunk install because I thought it would be too tempting for passers-by on foot to take a swipe at, or outright steal it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts