BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I am splitting this off of the excellent discussion started by Gustav to focus on Antenna issues. I am almost done assembling the parts to do a Sirius upgrade for my '00 M5 and one area where there is alot of room for interpretation is which antenna to use and where to locate it. From my research, there are at least 3 options for the antenna:

1) The latest BMW antenna: 3-84-11-0-392-099. It can be mounted on the roof as designed or placed somewhere on or under the rear parcel shelf

2) The TERK SIR3 which can be mounted in the same fashion as the BMW antenna.

3) The SIGMA (Sirius In Glass Mounted Antenna) supposedly available only from Nissan dealers as part number 999U9-VR002. This one is intended to be mounted inside the car on the glass for the Rear or Front Window.

Now, the questions.

1) To start off, I bought the BMW antenna and may mount it under on/below the parcel shelf, but I want to keep the option to put it on the roof, if the reception is too bad. Inside the box the antenna came in there were no install instructions. The paperwork inside said to print it off some online reference. Does anyone know where to find them?

2) From observation, I would need to drill a hole in the trunk to pass the cable into the trunk without running it over the weatherstrip. Is that correct? If so, I think a grommet would be in order, any good ideas on what to use and where to get it?

Thanks!
Dave
:cheers:

·
10,456 Posts
I mounted the antenna (newer style bmw) on the roof due to poor reception when it was On my package shelf. I might still have the instructions for the location, but generally, it goes in the space in front of the trunk hinge, iirc. There is a grommet already on the antenna wire, so you shouldn't need to worry about that. I'll try to get a pic later tonight.
Mike

///M_Addict said:
Hello all!

I am splitting this off of the excellent discussion started by Gustav to focus on Antenna issues. I am almost done assembling the parts to do a Sirius upgrade for my '00 M5 and one area where there is alot of room for interpretation is which antenna to use and where to locate it. From my research, there are at least 3 options for the antenna:

1) The latest BMW antenna: 3-84-11-0-392-099. It can be mounted on the roof as designed or placed somewhere on or under the rear parcel shelf

2) The TERK SIR3 which can be mounted in the same fashion as the BMW antenna.

3) The SIGMA (Sirius In Glass Mounted Antenna) supposedly available only from Nissan dealers as part number 999U9-VR002. This one is intended to be mounted inside the car on the glass for the Rear or Front Window.

Now, the questions.

1) To start off, I bought the BMW antenna and may mount it under on/below the parcel shelf, but I want to keep the option to put it on the roof, if the reception is too bad. Inside the box the antenna came there were no install instructions. The paperwork inside said to print it off some online reference. Does anyone know where to find them?

2) From observation, I would need to drill a hole in the trunk to pass the cable into the trunk without running it over the weatherstrip. Is that correct? If so, I think a grommet would be in order, any good ideas on what to use and where to get it?

Thanks!
Dave
:cheers:

·
10,456 Posts
here are a couple of pics, one of the antenna (i removed the "tail" so i could mount it closer to the rear window. The other is the grommet which was already installed on the wire for my antenna. I have some touch up paint around the area since i had a little 'incident' with the drill while trying to drill the hole... I also used silicone around the grommet, as per the bmw instructions (haven't found those yet, i'll look on my laptop tomorrow when i'm back in my office).
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Dave,

I am very interested in the SIGMA antenna installation myself. Please let us know if you find out anything. I am also going to try to contact someone at Sirius to inquire about this antenna since the part was made by a parter company of theirs. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike,

I am interested in those instructions as well.
The antenna is the only thing I havent permanently placed.

Please post them when you get the chance.

Ryan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
Cool! Thanks for the pics and looking for the instructions.!

Doug,
No problem, I will pass along anything that I find on the SIGMA antenna!

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
No problem. Actually, I just looked and that set is current but doesn't adequately describe how/where to cut the hole required to install in a 5 series sedan. Send me an email ([email protected]) if you want me to send that one (too big to attach here).

·
10,456 Posts
Heres a link for the measurements for the antenna hole, go to http://www.x5world.com/ then look under stereo, #29, sirius antenna instructions. That's where I got my info!
Mike

·
Registered
947 Posts
I originally had the antenna on top of the package shelf, held there with double side tape. When I instaled the manual rear sunshade, I had to take the package shelf apart, so I decided to mount the antenna under the shelf. I did not lose that much antenna sensitivity afterwards (say 5-10% more 'signal not found' than before). I never got great reception but with the new install its fine and I like the stealth look much better.

After having the new location for a few months, I am glad I moved it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My anntenna is under my deck hidden amungust the subwoofers and I have no reception problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any pictures of your sirius antenna installs?

I originally had the antenna on top of the package shelf, held there with double side tape. When I instaled the manual rear sunshade, I had to take the package shelf apart, so I decided to mount the antenna under the shelf. I did not lose that much antenna sensitivity afterwards (say 5-10% more 'signal not found' than before). I never got great reception but with the new install its fine and I like the stealth look much better.

After having the new location for a few months, I am glad I moved it.
My anntenna is under my deck hidden amungust the subwoofers and I have no reception problems.

This thread is an oldie but a goodie. I'll take a flyer and ask anyway: Looks like a lot of metal up there. Are your antennas above or below the metal shelf? Any pictures? And any hints/advice on running the wire back down to the amp/radio module area?

·
13,589 Posts
Unless you mount the Sirius antenna to a ground plane, it will get poor reception. To successfully mount under the parcel shelf, you'll need to double side tape a piece of sheetmetal the size of an index card (or bigger, if you like) to the foam rubber on the rear deck under the alcantara trim panel. then let the antenna magnetically attach to the sheetmetal. Be careful not to kink the wire for the antenna either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unless you mount the Sirius antenna to a ground plane, it will get poor reception. To successfully mount under the parcel shelf, you'll need to double side tape a piece of sheetmetal the size of an index card (or bigger, if you like) to the foam rubber on the rear deck under the alcantara trim panel. then let the antenna magnetically attach to the sheetmetal. Be careful not to kink the wire for the antenna either.
Is this considered "under the parcel shelf"? Appears to be all metal up there - is that considered to be a good ground plane?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts