BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on this one? When I make a slow right turn, particularly on an incline or decline, I get a loud clunk from the right front (suspension?). The beast is at the dealership now and they've had it apart and replaced some parts but to no avail. They can't find anything loose that could be making the noise. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but it started right after I had my winters tires/wheels removed and the regular wheels/tires put back on.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Steve,

I wish I could be of more assistance to you right here, but I am not sure what it could be. I do know that there was a post about a week or so ago concerning clunking in the suspension on the track. It only happened on rigth hand turns if I remember correctly. Try running a search and see if you can find it. Best of luck with your noise and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I haven't got a straight answer, but I have had a plethora of noises from the front of my 2000 car (80k miles). I've turned up a few culprits that are all contributing to one 'orchestra' of sounds, so maybe one will point you in the right direction?!

If the car is on aftermarket suspension, as mine is, the springs can disengage from their mount on the strut and the noise as they relocate on cornering is quite a loud clunk. Nothing to worry about but a bit disturbing until you know what it is.

The other is possible bearing wear. I had my car thoroughly checked out by 2 'experts' and neither diagnosed the fault as the noise is not the standard bearing rumble. I ended up taking the discs off myself and found the bearings making some interesting noises when turned by hand with no brakes to steady them. I'm replacing both this weekend so I'll keep you posted if it gets rid of my other 'clunk'!

Less likely but one to bear in mind, is things trapped behind the brake discs. Stones are the most common thing. On my car however, having had AP discs fitted, being thicker than standard, they rubbed on the back plates and made a very odd noise. A small 'adjustment' with my foot sorted that one out!

Hope there's some food for thought there,
Barney.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. The sound isn't a clicking sound, though. I had that one after putting on the front Stoptechs and that was an easy heat shield fix. This sound is a single "clunk" that can be heard and felt. Imagine you had a 5 pound weight that was loose in the front of the car and when you made a slow right hand turn, the weight was thrown against something in the right front area. That's kind of what is sounds and feels like but they can't find anything loose in either my Dinan Stage III suspension or the steering mechanism. They replaced the control arm and that didn't fix it either. Any additional thoughts? I'm still hoping someone has experienced this and can shed some light on it. They've had my car for a week now! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
XrayMD said:
Thanks for the thoughts. The sound isn't a clicking sound, though. I had that one after putting on the front Stoptechs and that was an easy heat shield fix. This sound is a single "clunk" that can be heard and felt. Imagine you had a 5 pound weight that was loose in the front of the car and when you made a slow right hand turn, the weight was thrown against something in the right front area. That's kind of what is sounds and feels like but they can't find anything loose in either my Dinan Stage III suspension or the steering mechanism. They replaced the control arm and that didn't fix it either. Any additional thoughts? I'm still hoping someone has experienced this and can shed some light on it. They've had my car for a week now! :p

Check your rear sway bar brackets. My car made a clunk noise making a turn on uneven surfaces and it was a rear sway bar bracket.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope...first of all, as I said, the noise is in the front right, not the rear. Second, I have Beastpower rear swaybar brackets...they will not break! Any other thoughts guys?

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
not sure, but perhaps something to do with the upper spring perch. If it's a single clunk every time you make a turn, it could be that the spring is twisting on the perch and somehow making it pop slightly out of place. Just a guess, and I may be completely wrong.
Besides the sound, is there any change of steering when that happens?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No... nothing else other than the noise. I'll pass on the spring perch idea to my service guy. Ya never know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If it was coming from the rear.. I would think the head came out of the bowling bag...

I would have them check all of the bolts on the right front suspension. A former car I had made what sounds like a similar noise. And they found that some of the bolts attaching the strut to the knuckle had come loose. I didn't notice any difference in the way the car handled, it just made that noise.

It might not be something loose, it might be something as simple as something loose in the engine compartment, or behind some panel.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, apparently it's fixed. I can't pick it up until Monday. I know they replaced a lot of things but I'll have to talk to the tech to find out what he thinks the culprit was. I'll post as soon as I know in case anyone else ever has the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK...got my beast back and no more clunk. Unfortuanately, they aren't sure what th noise was but here's what they did that finally got rid of it:

"Suspension binding. Found right front spring pad pushed out on front strut. Removed right front spring and replaced spring pad. Found pivot bearing for wheel hub having inserts pulling out. replaced defective pivot bearing. Removed sway bar bushings to clean bushing and bar. Loosened engine subframe and retorqued bolts. Loosened right side thrust rod and lower control rods to subframe and retorqued under load."

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
glad it was worked out. FWIW, i had a 'knock' sound from my left front, on slow bumps. Was knocking like crazy driving thru the dirt at the monterey historics last year. My dealer found a loose lower control arm bolt, torqued everything down and all was well again. It happened again about 6 mos later, they did the same thing and all has been fine...
Mike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike! Had her out for a bit today and she's running great! No more clunk and turns feel tighter, although that could be my imagination along with the fact that I was driving a Lexus RX330 while the beast was getting fixed...not a bad vehicle, but a real pig on turns!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
XrayMD said:
Thanks Mike! Had her out for a bit today and she's running great! No more clunk and turns feel tighter, although that could be my imagination along with the fact that I was driving a Lexus RX330 while the beast was getting fixed...not a bad vehicle, but a real pig on turns!

Steve
After my dealer did its "tightening", the steering really did feel tighter! I doubt we're both imagining it...
Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
mottati said:
After my dealer did its "tightening", the steering really did feel tighter! I doubt we're both imagining it...
Mike
My buddy had the same thing happen on his 645ci. The single 'knock' can be heard and felt only when turning over a small bump, or speed bump, and at slower speeds. It was a loose control arm, dealer tightened it, and now even his steering feels tighter too!.
The only part he left out, of course, is that he smashed that wheel into a curb while driving and on his cell phone. Dont ask what the wheel looked like...
;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts