BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there has been a fair amount of discussion on mounting a V1, i want to share with the board a simple way of getting power if you mount the V1 up by the rear view mirror.

If you look at the rear view mirror, there is a cable that goes up into the headliner where the lights are. Through that same area, i gently pushed the power cable for the V1. The panel that houses the sunroof switches pops out (you have to be gentle with it, but it clips under the lights housing and the back of the panel).

With the switch panel out you can see fish out the V1 power cable and strip the power and ground wires. I grounded under one of the many metal bolts that holds the sun roof motor. Now, for power, if you take a look at the housing that has the interior lights in it, you will see that for each of the 3 bulbs there is a metal piece that looks like a silver capital letter M standing up. I connected to the right most M post.

With this set-up, the V1 has power from the time i open any door until, i believe it is 15 minutes after turning the car off.

No wires to see, nothing to tuck and run and a very clean look.

Sam

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, no pictures

Sorry, did not have the camera when I wired it up. If you are interested, i am happy to walk you through it.

Sam

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 ///WallStreet did mine in about ten minutes in the parking lot and it works great. Nice clean installation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question on the location of the power draw for the V1?

ssigarto - I'd like to try your method. Can you elaborate on the attachment point and method for the power. Is it this location I've pointed to in the picture. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
ssigarto - I'd like to try your method. Can you elaborate on the attachment point and method for the power. Is it this location I've pointed to in the picture. Thanks for the help.
You can use an voltmeter to measure, if it's 12V then it should be OK.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just re-routed my V1 from the overhead rain sensor location to the 12V outlet on the passenger footwell. Many have experienced a dying-type of sound on vehicle start-up when the car has been sitting for a few hours. The sound is kind of like the Live Wire (+) is not supplying enough current on initial start-up to share with the other components.

A thread was actually started by me not too long ago and others have faced this problem as well. I'll see if the new location does better (I am almost certain it will). It took me less than 2hrs... but I have OCD.... maybe 40 minutes for someone else.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
EM_5, I have no experience any noise issue following thread below with tapping off green/yellow wire. However, there are two separate green/yellow wires from that location (one from main cable bundle which gave me 12+volts and other was near one of the switch, which gave me < 12volts). If I tapped from the wire near the switch, it has a problem power up my V1. BUt no problem tapping off green/yellow wire from the main cable bundle.

Give it a try, and let us know.

From what you describe was similar to this (included pics):
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708&st=0&p=5525&#entry5525

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, that's where i attached it

Bklyn_S4, yes that is exactly where is atttached the power. It will stay on with the lights for about 15 minutes after you turn the engine off and then power off. Also, it will power on when you open the door.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
has anyone done this for the M6???...we have no sunroof!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts