BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, I may have time to change my order from Black Sapphire to Silverstone. I need to know the difference between Silverstone and Silverstone II, if there even is a difference.

Also, I am not a big fan of silver in general, but many have mentioned that the Silverstone II has a bluish tone to it (which I like a lot). Can anyone help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Silverstone was an E39 colour and was like a very pale blue. SilverstoneII is more of a sliver with blue hue as you said, its a bit like interlargos that you have to see it in the flesh. Photos and images, even the small colour sample the dealerships have can't do it justice.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I misspoke, that the BMW USA site says the color is Silverstone Silver, which I am guessing is their way of saying Silverstone II in Europe.

I just saw a pix of the true silverstone on an 3 -series, what a beautiful color.

Now, my question is, is the blue clearly noticeable in the Silverstone II as I will not have an oppty to see it before I order. I am really torn here between the black and the silverstone II.

Right now I am going traditional Black sapphire, Portland brown int. Am considering Silverstone Silver with Red Indy inside (race car classic).

Ugh...Such problems:)

HomerUK said:
Silverstone was an E39 colour and was like a very pale blue. SilverstoneII is more of a sliver with blue hue as you said, its a bit like interlargos that you have to see it in the flesh. Photos and images, even the small colour sample the dealerships have can't do it justice.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Silverstone II vs. Saphire Black

My 2002 745i (which gets traded in on Friday when my 645Ci arrives) is Saphire Black and I have really liked the color these past 3 years. I saw a couple of M5s in Garching (BMW M land) in July both on the streets and parked in the lot. Even on the cloudy day I was there, I could tell it is a very classy color. Not just the normal BMW silver gray which is nice but not outstanding. Its mostly silver but the blue tinge gives it a cooler (both literally and figurtively) look. Kind of an icy silver. The blue is very subtle though.

I like my Saphire Black 7er as it does not show dirt as much as Jet Black and the metal flake in the paint picks up the sun nicely. I have never regretted getting the 7 in that color.

For a "steathy" car, I'd go with black, but for a very German looking, hi-tech, pure mechanical look, I'd seriously consider the Silverstone II. Both are good colors, just comes down to what sort of color matches your "view" of the car.

Seeing the color in person is often very different from seeing photos on the web to say nothing of the printed catalogs and color samples (which are useless). The special colors (Silverstone, Indy Red, Sepang Bronze, and Interlagos Blue) are all very different in person (I saw all of these colors while taking ED on my 645Ci in July). So I feel your pain for not seeing the colors before ordering. I have posted some pictures on the board, but again, they are not really what the colors look like in person. I guess you'll have to weigh the comments made here on the board and decide on your own. Good luck, they're both good colors you won't be wrong either way.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Silverstone II vs. Saphire Black

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful actually. Probably by the time I call the dealer he'll tell me it's too late to change anyway and then I can stop worrying about it. LOL!

Mark Carson said:
My 2002 745i (which gets traded in on Friday when my 645Ci arrives) is Saphire Black and I have really liked the color these past 3 years. I saw a couple of M5s in Garching (BMW M land) in July both on the streets and parked in the lot. Even on the cloudy day I was there, I could tell it is a very classy color. Not just the normal BMW silver gray which is nice but not outstanding. Its mostly silver but the blue tinge gives it a cooler (both literally and figurtively) look. Kind of an icy silver. The blue is very subtle though.

I like my Saphire Black 7er as it does not show dirt as much as Jet Black and the metal flake in the paint picks up the sun nicely. I have never regretted getting the 7 in that color.

For a "steathy" car, I'd go with black, but for a very German looking, hi-tech, pure mechanical look, I'd seriously consider the Silverstone II. Both are good colors, just comes down to what sort of color matches your "view" of the car.

Seeing the color in person is often very different from seeing photos on the web to say nothing of the printed catalogs and color samples (which are useless). The special colors (Silverstone, Indy Red, Sepang Bronze, and Interlagos Blue) are all very different in person (I saw all of these colors while taking ED on my 645Ci in July). So I feel your pain for not seeing the colors before ordering. I have posted some pictures on the board, but again, they are not really what the colors look like in person. I guess you'll have to weigh the comments made here on the board and decide on your own. Good luck, they're both good colors you won't be wrong either way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go for the Silverstone II and you will not be disappointed. When it is clean and the sun is shinning the colour tone is a stunning blue silver and not just silver.

Good Luck. :typing:

·
Registered
100 Posts
wdc said:
Go for the Silverstone II and you will not be disappointed. When it is clean and the sun is shinning the colour tone is a stunning blue silver and not just silver.

Good Luck. :typing:
I am also thinking silverstone /silverstone int. because will be driving car more in summer than winter ...but red interior sounds very interesting ,probably more unique as well.Thanks to all your early orders i hope to see one up close before my spring delivery. Crg

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Crg said:
I am also thinking silverstone /silverstone int. because will be driving car more in summer than winter ...but red interior sounds very interesting ,probably more unique as well.Thanks to all your early orders i hope to see one up close before my spring delivery. Crg
The Silverstone/Silverstone is a very 'safe' combination. The Silverstone/Red should be striking, I just don't know if I would find it a little too 'stimulating' after a while. I like a car's interior to be soothing, not loud. It really depends on what you want to live with day after day. If you want something that wakes you up every time you get in it, go for the red. If you prefer a more relaxing interior, go for the Silverstone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wolverine said:
The Silverstone/Silverstone is a very 'safe' combination. The Silverstone/Red should be striking, I just don't know if I would find it a little too 'stimulating' after a while. I like a car's interior to be soothing, not loud. It really depends on what you want to live with day after day. If you want something that wakes you up every time you get in it, go for the red. If you prefer a more relaxing interior, go for the Silverstone.
Wolverine ,thanks for your input. Living in similar climate as you ,I was thinking that Silverstone woud be the best because we would driving more in the summer .I know it will show the dirt more though.I will wait and see one and keep looking @M5 board for suggestions. Crg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Its one of the hardest things about being one of the first to have to order. My indi red car is different than what the painted plate colour sample at the dealership led me to think, better in real life thankfully.

SilverstoneII imo is a very nice colour, its lighter than silver gray and the blue hue comes out nicely in direct light. I was looking at SilverstoneII and indi red as an option, till I found indi red leather is only available as full and didn't want it with a young son. I was worried that the blue would off set against the red poorly but the blue is light enough not to do this.

To be honest when you get the car you will be spending as much time as possible in it so the colour wont matter that much anyway :cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an E39 in Silverstone and have got the E60 in Silverstone.
Put together the E39 looked blue to the E60's silver.
On its own the E60 has a blue tinge.
Very different colours.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Technically Hawaii is further south than Naples FL, but then we won't see any M5's out here for a while.

My co-worker is #2 on the dealers list but the first 2 cars are pre-configured (can't change anything including color) and they think they are going to get SoCal style mark-ups and my buddy refuses to pay over MSRP so he may end up getting an M5 from a Mainland dealer (like in Mich) and drive it cross-country and then ship it to Hawaii.

The dealer still does not have an est delivery date in Hawaii for the first 2 M5's that they show in the computer as allocated to them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Keep in mind that most cars in North America have benn ordered Black Saphire. Silverstone II would actually be a more unique colour in the USA.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, by the time I talked to the dealer yesterday, my time had passed to change colors. I will be getting the Black Sapphire/Portland Brown/Aluminum. Now that I couldn't change the color, I couldn't be happier with what I originally ordered. The best part is, I can stop worrying about it. LOL.

Domar said:
Keep in mind that most cars in North America have benn ordered Black Saphire. Silverstone II would actually be a more unique colour in the USA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts