BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and scoopz attended the Track day at the Silverstone GP circuit

It was a fantastic day, it started a little damp but was dry for most of the day.

I promised scoopz that I'd post the spins, so here they are.

Following a F430

This is from the start of the lap after I span (you'll here us giggle as we pass the tyre marks), trying to catch scoopz...

I did have a slight advantage over Scoopz, camber plates and lowered, but annoyingly I had a rear anti roll bar fitted and the stock front one, (Dinan FCS did not arrive in time) so my car had a tendency to want to over steer, well, that is my excuse for the spins...

I also had a half hour instruction during the day and the instructor was very flattering of the M5, when I told him about my 2 degrees of negative camber, he just said, "That explains it" he was saying that my car just turned in much better than the others.

I found the biggest help was the brakes, (pagid RS19's and RBF600 fluid), such an improvement over stock.

It was also great meeting Neil and his friends. I beleive I may have made at least one feel a little queasy :haha:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Looks fun. Like you had a great time. The track is the place to learn the car and spin recovery. It looks like you over corrected. Easier said than done. Somehow, I am still a virgin. 20 track days with various cars and I've yet to spin. Even with some sessions in the rain. I guess I'm chicken to push the car hard enough to go over that fine line.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Wow....very nice NB and Scoopz.

Great throttle control NB. I wish I could have heard what you did with the throttle when you spun.

You made those cars look like they were standing still. How did your "victims" feel after they were passed by a 4000 pound saloon car with woodtrim?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Nice vids! Question, when you spun, did you put it in Neutral?

In my Porsches, that was the way to go to avoid reverse revs on the engine and really screwing things up. I've never spun an auto or SMG car, so what do you do with these transmissions? (Does the SMG know to go neutral when rolling backwards?)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice vids! Question, when you spun, did you put it in Neutral?

In my Porsches, that was the way to go to avoid reverse revs on the engine and really screwing things up. I've never spun an auto or SMG car, so what do you do with these transmissions? (Does the SMG know to go neutral when rolling backwards?)
Car goes into neutral and engine cuts out, not too sure at what stage the engine cuts, the ignition stays on.

First spin started as I passed scoopz on the stright I gave him a thumbs upouich then just went a little bit too quick into the corner and simple miss judged it there was more space on the left so I would have been fine.

Second spin, when it started to go I caught it, but I think I just backed off when it was coming back and that was it, then when I saw the grass I just gave up.

It was great fun, first time spinning my M5, most tracks don't have as much space.

Both times there was nothing to hit so knew I was safe...

After the first spin I also got the Flat Tyre Monitor in the idrive, took it steady for a lap, but all felt fine and I wanted to catch scoopz:haha:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I really enjoyed your video. Great driving!:cheers:

I'm now driving a dedicated race car in club racing but I can't wait to get my M5 back on track. There's nothing quite like passing an F430 of other exotic in the big saloon. It really is a capable machine.

Can you tell me what camera mount you were using and where it is mounted. I know the track is smooth but that is really great video quality.

Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
thanks for posting! looked pretty smooth (except for the spins) lol. gotta luv the way the beast pulls! one question - right hand drive?????

edit: never mind the question, I thought it said New York.........

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm interested in the camera mount as well. I have one that I used on the 911, but I dont' think it would work in the M5.

Thanks for the info. regarding the spin and the car's handling of the engine/transmission.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my video stuff...

I had a problem with the power adaptor and on the day one stopped working, found the reason, the tip on the end of the power adaptor became unscrewed inside the cig lighter.

The mount I used was the Ultra Clamp from:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roll-bar-cage-mounts.htm

with a 6" flex mount from
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/other-camera-mounts.htm

The clamp was fastened to the headrest post and the flex mount I angled up and forward.

The camera I used was the zoom bullet cam from
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/Pro_digital_zoom_helmet_cameras.htm

Initially I was using the hard drive recorder (padded wit foam in the glove box), but it was being powered by the adaptor that stopped working, so I switch it with my Sony DCR PC-330 which I just put in the glove box.

The hard drive recorder gives ok results, but the Sony is way better

I used a 12v mic, which I just taped to the side of the seat. I found that if I put it to near the dash, it picks up the clicking from the paddels.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
EXCELLENT - - didn't read the title, spins caught me by surprise - - had my stomach in my throat...

...wish the 'ring was that wide

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
GREAT videos!

Wow, you guys are hardcore, those spins where scary! Esp. trying to catch them and when you realize you'll loose it :(

I also think I heard a fuel "bling" there as well :D

Those Lotus Elise where sure doing 100% throttle when you flew passed them :D Sounded loud!

Also, at what speeds did you pass the F430?

Again, GREAT work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts