BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member looking at 06 M5 with silverstone interior. Concerned that it is too light in pics - almost looks white. Is this really how it is or is it really gray? How does it wear?

I know someone will say just go look at it yourself, but I live 2 hours from dealer and 3 hours from this particular car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
alot more white then gray.... If not taken care of will show lots of dirt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alot more white then gray.... If not taken care of will show lots of dirt...

I was afraid of that. Found a nice 06 that has everything I want for a good price and it is CPO'ed (Didn't think BMW was doing this for the new M5's), but I think the interior color is a deal breaker for me. Really want black.

·
Registered
655 Posts
some simple care taking will keep them looking nice. I have silverstone and wipe down the seats about once a month to keep them looking sharp. a little effort goes a long way.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have it and it is beautiful but would never do it again. The silverstone is so vulnerable to dirt and wear. My car is in the shop alot for performance mods and the silverstone leather has really taken a beating.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I was afraid of that. Found a nice 06 that has everything I want for a good price and it is CPO'ed (Didn't think BMW was doing this for the new M5's), but I think the interior color is a deal breaker for me. Really want black.
If the dealer is telling you the car is CPO becareful. This has been discussed many, many times and each time the dealer has come back and said the BMWNA will not CPO the car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
had black

leather in my 05 m5, and now ordered a new 08 m5 in white with silverstone int. the car experience and cabin is much more light and bright, you feel much happier, and see all the details much clearer....

But it will need some care... but the experience is better...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The Silverstone interior looks great, and with proper maintenance can look as good as new. Look at it this way, you can see the dirt, so you can clean it properly. My leather looks as good as new after over 65,000 miles. I clean it regularly with Leatherique in whatever spots look dirty. Pretty simple, just spray and wipe - I keep a bottle and rag handy in my garage.

HOWEVER, for some reason the perforated silverstone attracts belt dye. If you don't pick the right belt, you'll end up with a black/brown line across the back of the seat. I've replaced the back seat leather once already (under warranty), and have a faint line there now, even though I'm pretty careful.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have kids that will be in the back seat; I would say NO to Silverstone interior. I am constantly wiping down my seatbacks, door panels and center console at least twice a week due to shoe marks from kids. Drives me crazy. ouich

However, I think the Silverstone interior looks 10x better than black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the dealer is telling you the car is CPO becareful. This has been discussed many, many times and each time the dealer has come back and said the BMWNA will not CPO the car.
I checked the BMW website and they didn't list this car as CPO. I called the dealership today and was told it was a mistake and that E60 M5's could not be CPO (as I thought). To the dealerships credit they have now changed their ad on ebay accordingly. Interestingly they increased the price by $2,000 as well!

Regarding the silverstone interior, for me and my 3 kids I think black will be more durable in the long run and this is what I am going to look for.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
wow... 65,000 miles??? Is it still going strong?
Burning less oil than it did at 15,000 miles. Much faster (thanks to a few mods, but the engine has definitely loosened up since about 15,000 miles). Suspension, steering, chassis are all tight as a drum. After a number of minor issues up to 40,000 miles, and a replacement of the entire driveline (thanks to the SMG pump issue) I haven't had one problem in the last 25,000 miles (knock on wood).
The car has never been better.lovelove

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Burning less oil than it did at 15,000 miles. Much faster (thanks to a few mods, but the engine has definitely loosened up since about 15,000 miles). Suspension, steering, chassis are all tight as a drum. After a number of minor issues up to 40,000 miles, and a replacement of the entire driveline (thanks to the SMG pump issue) I haven't had one problem in the last 25,000 miles (knock on wood).
The car has never been better.lovelove
Glad to see you are enjoying the car and driving it like it should be driven..... Hopefully you will enjoy another 100,000 trouble free miles.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Regarding the silverstone interior, for me and my 3 kids I think black will be more durable in the long run and this is what I am going to look for.
I have been driving 3 kids in the back of mine daily for over two years to school, baseball, camping, etc, etc. If you like the look of the silverstone better, don't let the maintenance sway you. This leather is surprisingly easy to clean -- much more so than the light gray leather in the e36 M3 I had before. I do not regret my choice for a minute. The silverstone interior gives the car a bright appearance and makes it stand out from the dark interiors that are so common.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have been driving 3 kids in the back of mine daily for over two years to school, baseball, camping, etc, etc. If you like the look of the silverstone better, don't let the maintenance sway you. This leather is surprisingly easy to clean -- much more so than the light gray leather in the e36 M3 I had before. I do not regret my choice for a minute. The silverstone interior gives the car a bright appearance and makes it stand out from the dark interiors that are so common.

I agree with your comments. I feel the Silverstone looks much more lively and bright versus the black interior, which makes me feel like I'm in a dark cave.

I guess my kids are a lot less careful with their shoes. It seems like I am reminding them daily not to kick my seats and doors. However, given the choice again, I would probably stick with Silverstone as well, it really does look great when clean. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have silverstone as well. My daughter is very careful getting in and out. If her shoes are muddy they go in the trunk. Maybe a bit anal but I want it to look like the day I bought it. Worked in my last two cars. As much as well all like to vaccum the dirt or touchup the outside, a little wipe on the seats is no big deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts