BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owners apparently forgot to maintain this piece :1zhelp:

As opposed to buying new, is it possible to have the existing leather repaired, or maybe buy a new section of Silverstone leather and have it put on? Seems like Silverstone doesn't hold up as well as some of the other colors, or maybe just the earlier versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I would start with a good cleaning and conditioning with a quality leather treatment (Griot's Garage, Pinnacle, Chemical Guys or the like). If this is insufficient you can re-dye it.
Leather Colorant Kit

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Good cleaning will get most of it but that dark grey area on the edge is gone. After the cleaning it might be good enough to not bother you anymore. The leather gets dried out and does that. I make sure to hit the entire center console when I clean and condition the interior of my car. The constant friction of the elbow doesn't help either.

We have a mobile guy at my work who fixed my client's Aston Martin's driver seat side bolster and it looks good as new. Quality just depends on the person who is doing the repair/re-dye.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had some wear spots on my silverstone interior and had a local guy re dye it with a airbrush and it came out 95% better than what it was. It was mainly my driver door armrest and my center console like yours.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would start with a good cleaning and conditioning with a quality leather treatment (Griot's Garage, Pinnacle, Chemical Guys or the like). If this is insufficient you can re-dye it.
Leather Colorant Kit
Is Leatherique on par with these? Thanks for the link.

PRM your console looks good, I guess it's just a matter of finding the right guy who knows what he's doing. The previous owner was a wee little lad who sat low, so his whole forearm was raking the console. I'm higher up and about 8" taller to my arm rests on the right side but doesn't rub.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is Leatherique on par with these? Thanks for the link.

PRM your console looks good, I guess it's just a matter of finding the right guy who knows what he's doing. The previous owner was a wee little lad who sat low, so his whole forearm was raking the console. I'm higher up and about 8" taller to my arm rests on the right side but doesn't rub.
Yeah, i was going to re dye this myself. But the guy that did it for me charged me only 75.00. It was worth taking a shot at it before spending 500+ to replace these parts. It came out good and im happy with it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Was it a 2008 with a six speed? I'm asking because I picked up a IB with silverstone 08 six speed in NY last year.

My leather is in very nice shape though...

Yes I believe so. It was at Bloomfield BMW in NJ. It had 28k on the clock but just looked a little beat up. Along with the 08 IB they had the 06 I bought with 8k miles on it . The IB is the hottest color (imo) but i settled for a saphire black SMG with the low miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I purchased my 2008 IB with Silverstone interior I knew the Silverstone center console rest pads could be a problem to keep looking nice. To solve the problem I purchased a good used black E60 complete center console and swapped the black pads to the Silverstone console. Not only is it easier to keep looking good I think it's a nice accent and looks better than the all Silverstone console.

DSC_0802_046.JPG

I still have my stock pads and might consider selling them, although I have no idea what they're worth.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When I purchased my 2008 IB with Silverstone interior I knew the Silverstone center console rest pads could be a problem to keep looking nice. To solve the problem I purchased a good used black E60 complete center console and swapped the black pads to the Silverstone console. Not only is it easier to keep looking good I think it's a nice accent and looks better than the all Silverstone console.

View attachment 484321

I still have my stock pads and might consider selling them, although I have no idea what they're worth.
Wow! That looks great! I was trying to figure out what was so different about your interior. I didn't bother reading the post till after I finished looking at the picture.

Did you do a CIC retrofit? I see the updated I-Drive controller.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts