BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working through my Interlagos Blue catharsis (I have decided against it) I am debating between Silver Grey and Silverstone.

1) I like Silverstone - because it is M specific. I am bit concerned it looks too much like Ti silver. Is the difference pretty obvious?

2) Silver grey looks amazing - but is very common.

Thoughts?ouich

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I think silver is very very common :) Interlagos Blue is nice, but you wil lstand out. Sepang Bronze maybe? Tht is not common...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is the blueish tint in Silverstone obvious?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You couldn't give me a Silverstone one... well, give me one, but I'll sell it and get something else. I like Silver Grey, standard E60 color or not.

Anyone know the final word on Indianapolis Red? Is it or is it not offered?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
stominovich said:
Is the blueish tint in Silverstone obvious?
In some light, it's very obvious. In other light, it looks very silver. I have a E39 M5 in Silverstone and I love it. I get a lot of compliments on the color. But, some people think it's too "baby blue" looking, so it's really up to your tastes. If at all possible, try to find someone in your local area with a E39 version and see it for yourself. Note, that with 2002 (I believe) they renamed it to BlueWater, but I believe it's the same color.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
stominovich said:
After working through my Interlagos Blue catharsis (I have decided against it) I am debating between Silver Grey and Silverstone.

1) I like Silverstone - because it is M specific. I am bit concerned it looks too much like Ti silver. Is the difference pretty obvious?

Thoughts?ouich
I wouldn't worry about any M5 color being 'common'. The car itself is will be exclusive, it's not like people will say 'yeah, I saw a couple of those yesterday'.

What interior do you favor? I always try to pick the interior I like best first, since that is what you'll be looking at 99% of the time you're with the car.

If you like the wood trim, or the sepang leather, I would lean towards the Silver Grey. I think with a Silverstone/Aluminum interior, the car looks best with the Silverstone exterior. Other color combo's would fit either exterior IMO.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think that Silverstone is rather plain and uninteresting when contrasted with Silver Grey. However, I think that Silver Grey is rather plain and uninteresting when contrasted with Sepang Bronze. But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong (in the immortal words of Dennis Miller). I always get lots of compliments on my Silver Grey M3, so don't get me wrong - its a great colour!

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
vndkshn said:
Anyone know the final word on Indianapolis Red? Is it or is it not offered?
It's in the US M5 brochure--has somebody told you it's not available?

I have a silver gray 545i and thought about getting silverstone for a change, but every time I look at my car, I really love the color, and the pix of scoop's silver gray beauty sealed the deal for me:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58474

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It just seems to waffle back and forth on whether or not it is available.

Personally, I'd probably go with Interlagos, with Indy Red a very close second.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am also very undecided between several colors.. However, the front runner for me is now Alpine White. Have you considered white?? It looks so nice on various 750's that I have seen. I think White is the new silver but maybe thats because I live in South Florida.. I am still waiting for some good none "ring taxi" white M5 photos with tinted windows??

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
stominovich said:

Thoughts?ouich
Scott --

Sounds like we have been going down very similar paths. I, too, recently decided against interlagos after admiring it for a long time.

I decided in favor of silver grey rather than silverstone because I have had a titanium (or arctic) silver M3 for many years, and wanted something different. I also think the silver grey looks sleeker and slightly more menacing that the silverstone. Finally, I wanted nothing to do with a light blue tinge.

I agree with Wolverine that there is no need to worry about the car looking common because it will stand out sufficiently due to the different body work, 19" wheels, exhausts, and stance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
stominovich said:

Thoughts?ouich
Scott.

Silverstone of course! Looks like a tuned 525i in grey.

/Ekan

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is one of these Silverstone II and one Ti Silver?

·
Registered
131 Posts
stominovich said:

Thoughts?ouich
I picked up my Silverstone with black perforated leather car last Thursday, and it looks stunning. Don't be swayed by what others say, it has to be a personal choice, you are the one who will benefit from having the colour you want and like.

In respect of the blue tint, at first i found it difficult to notice as it is very subtle, but when you park beside silver cars it is very noticable. The light also plays tricks, which all adds to its special appeal.

Interstingly the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) in the UK, describes the colour as being blue, not silver.

The car has attracted so much positive attention everytime I take it out, therefore the colour choice appears to be liked by the masses.

Others in this thread have declared their dislike for Silverstone, well not everyone can be gifted with the talent of good taste, and thankfully so, or we would all be driving the same vehicle with identical colours etc, and that would be dull. If you want some photographs of my car send me an email. Good luck :byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
stominovich said:

Thoughts?ouich
My thoughts exactly. I went for the Silver Grey because it just looks good to me. If I could see the new silverstone first, I may have changed my mind. I did not want to take a chance. My E39 M5 was Ti Sivr and E39 540 was Aspen Slvr - time to darken the color a bit anyway.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I saw the Silverstone at the Detroit Auto show, and is a beautiful silver - very classy. I really liked the subtle color changes you see with changing light and viewing angle. Plus it is without a doubt the easiest exterior to maintain.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts