BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking on-line but drawn a blank on a silicone hose kit for the E39 M5. Seems odd that such a popular car doesnt seem to have ever had a set made. Is anyone else interested in them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initially coolant. The hoses on mine are 17 years old and I think if I replace them Id like to go for an upgrade (but at 17 years they havent done bad). I might go supercharger and it seemed sensible.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The OE hoses work fine and hold up surprisingly well. I've never heard of an S62 engine coolant hose going bad. Only radiators, thermostats and after 100-150k, the waterpump. People change the hoses as PM like you're looking to do. Most/everyone just uses the OE hose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Silicon is porous. Watertight, but not vaportight, so it'll still lose water from evaporation. Reasons it's not ideal for fuel, oil and sometimes coolant.

I had created a windshield washer hose harness using silicon hoses to replace the old brittle and broken harness, but it was just too over the top to use. It would have worked, lasted longer, but the tube was too thick in proportion to the inner hole diameter and too robust for the system. A case where the stronger component would weaken all the other weaker parts, as, you know, it wasn't designed that way. So, ended buying a replacement, same old OE harness.

Braided hoses would be a good alternative, for performance use, but again, same considerations above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts