BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a very even saturated coating and symmetric on both sides. Looks like it splashed up on to the filter box, but I can't seem to figure out where the oil came from or its path.
It pooled in the bottom of the box under the filter and caked up the filters.
I cleaned it out and will replace the filters but I'm still not comfortable driving it as it may occur again. Also as oil is found in the wrong spot, it is missing from somewhere else.

Where do you all think the oil is coming from?
What should I do next? I have an oil change scheduled the week after next (as soon as I get back into town from work) and will have my Indy address it, if it's not s simple fix.

On a most likely unrelated note, I rattle/loose sound on start up. It happens on start up if the car has been sitting more than 15 minutes and seems to be unrelated to temperature of the engine oil or coolant. For example I drove an hour on a 90 degree day, parked for 15 minutes and went back out for a drive and it made the sound again, even though the oil was around 150 degrees still, but on a 60 degree morning I pulled out the driveway and then back in, shut the car off and went back inside for a 2 minutes, so the car didn't warm up at all but it didn't make the sound when I started it again after 2 minutes.
Would this maybe be caused by no/low oil pressure causing a dry start or the timing chain having more slack before oil pressure builds? That was my conclusion from searching the board.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
-Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Its a very even saturated coating and symmetric on both sides. Looks like it splashed up on to the filter box, but I can't seem to figure out where the oil came from or its path.
It pooled in the bottom of the box under the filter and caked up the filters.
I cleaned it out and will replace the filters but I'm still not comfortable driving it as it may occur again. Also as oil is found in the wrong spot, it is missing from somewhere else.

Where do you all think the oil is coming from?
What should I do next? I have an oil change scheduled the week after next (as soon as I get back into town from work) and will have my Indy address it, if it's not s simple fix.

On a most likely unrelated note, I rattle/loose sound on start up. It happens on start up if the car has been sitting more than 15 minutes and seems to be unrelated to temperature of the engine oil or coolant. For example I drove an hour on a 90 degree day, parked for 15 minutes and went back out for a drive and it made the sound again, even though the oil was around 150 degrees still, but on a 60 degree morning I pulled out the driveway and then back in, shut the car off and went back inside for a 2 minutes, so the car didn't warm up at all but it didn't make the sound when I started it again after 2 minutes.
Would this maybe be caused by no/low oil pressure causing a dry start or the timing chain having more slack before oil pressure builds? That was my conclusion from searching the board.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
-Drew
Your problem is typically associated with a fault in the Vanos system or plugged oil return lines. Do you have a check engine light on? Unfortunately your MAFs are probably contaminated as well and will likely need replacement now or soon. Take the remaining tubes off of the plenum and have a look inside. Also, squeeze the hoses that run from each valvecover and go into the oil separators. (funnel looking things) If they are very soft and mushy they may be collapsing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would suggest replacing the oil separators with all 4 hoses, there's two upper and two lower. The lower are difficult to get to but possible.
This is the typical reason for oil backing up into intake and then flowing down the air intake tube into the air box. Replace those and if it was me I open the plenum and give it a good clean.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I agree with technician.

And if this happened suddenly, it's more likely to be the leaking VANOS solenoid problem. It would explain the startup noise as well.

Reading the codes may shed some light.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would suggest replacing the oil separators with all 4 hoses, there's two upper and two lower. The lower are difficult to get to but possible.
This is the typical reason for oil backing up into intake and then flowing down the air intake tube into the air box. Replace those and if it was me I open the plenum and give it a good clean.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts