BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is OT, but can you all give me some quick tips on the following--my son and I will be in Seattle until very early Thur am.

--Which seats are the best value at Safeco (sp) Field?--looking to take in a home game next week
--What the heck are hydro racers--some folks on my flight in were going/participating?
--Where is poor Jimi Hendrix's grave and can you visit it?
--And of course, where are all the M5's??????
--Any other suggested places to see?
I've got very limited internet access, but will try to view any responses ASAP!!

THANKS SO MUCH!! This city is wonderful so far--beautiful, friendly and full of guys with ponytails (almost) as long as minehiha

Anita

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Hi Anita,

I'm over in Bellevue about 10 minutes East of Seattle. The best places to view the hydroplane races would be at the Southwest end of Lake Washington. It's probably too late by now for you to get good seats. I have no idea where Jimi Hendrix resides nor do I know where Bruce Lee is either.

A good place to see would be Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Flight museum (the concorde is there now), Microsoft in Redmond, Starbucks HQ, all the stores on Pike street between 1st avenue and 7th avenue. And of course all the outdoor areas which are within easy reach of Seattle via I-90 going East.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
And you're not seeing M5's out there because I'm not driving mine! :hihi:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Anita,

I live in Seatte and, actually, very close to the Hydro races. I can tell you what is going on and give you advice if you're interested. I'm out of town but will be back early Sunday evening. Feel free to give me a call and I will try to help you with whatever you need. Cell: 206-390-9854. Jason makes some good recommendations.

Jimi is buried at Lake View Cemetary (north capital hill) but I'm not sure where. You should be able to visit it just like Bruce Lee's (according to friends, though I don't know where his is either). There's supposed to be a bit of Jimi stuff at the EMP (Experience Music Project at the Seattle Center). Kind of expensive, though, something like $20.

I'm driving my M5 so if you flash or wave and I will recipricate.

Danial

Anita said:
Sorry this is OT, but can you all give me some quick tips on the following--my son and I will be in Seattle until very early Thur am.

--Which seats are the best value at Safeco (sp) Field?--looking to take in a home game next week
--What the heck are hydro racers--some folks on my flight in were going/participating?
--Where is poor Jimi Hendrix's grave and can you visit it?
--And of course, where are all the M5's??????
--Any other suggested places to see?
I've got very limited internet access, but will try to view any responses ASAP!!

THANKS SO MUCH!! This city is wonderful so far--beautiful, friendly and full of guys with ponytails (almost) as long as minehiha

Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason and Dan,

Thanks so much for the recommendations!!!

We got in late Thur after being at 6 airports in 24 hours--long story. Anyway, we've been stumbling around a bit, but have seen the Flight Museum--the Blue Angels were practicing and the pilots arrived in about 10 Corvettes. Did dinner at the Space Needle. Visited the Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma. And just got back from Mt. Ranier.

And I heard the final hydor race on the way home and the winner was--ta da--Jean Theoret form Canada.

Oh we went to Pacific Raceway were the International Race Drivers were having an event. Looks like a nice raod course!! Have either of you driven there?

Thanks again,
Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just saw a TiSi M5 --MY FIRST out here!!!!!!! Going north on 405 east of Seattle about 5 pm PT. Anyone out here? Please know that you just made my whole trip worthwhile!!:2:

Anita

AND THANKS DAN!! Your advice came in very handy for our abbreviated trip to Mt. St. Helen's--got the flat fixed A-OK!

Saw Bruce and Bandon Lee's graves (at Lakeview) and Jimi Hendrix's grave at Greenwood in Renton.

And now to bed--I've got a 3:30 am wake-up callzzzzz zzzzz zzzzz

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Sightless In Seattle--Where are the M5's, Jimi Hendrix's Grave and the Best Seats

I just got mine out the shop today.

Where's the meeting????? I'm there!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the Seattle area and would be interested in visiting some of the sights mentioned in this thread. In particular, the abbreviated trip to Mt. St. Helen's would be very interesting to me. Any information on how to make this abbreviated trip would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

-Akira

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Interesting timing for this thread.. I'm actually going to be in Seattle next week starting Wednesday night. I'll be sure to check out the stuff you guys are mentioning, and what a treat it would be to see any of you guys on the road!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh man I wish I was in town next week. I would have loved to host a gathering or something. Are you driving up by chance? Feel free to give me a call and I'll try to help with any questions.
Danial

Anzir said:
Interesting timing for this thread.. I'm actually going to be in Seattle next week starting Wednesday night. I'll be sure to check out the stuff you guys are mentioning, and what a treat it would be to see any of you guys on the road!

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
I'll be around next week. If any of you guys want to meet up, I'd be up for it. I'm on the Eastside right off 405 so if you see a blue M5, that's probably me.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
akiramats1 said:
Hey guys, I am new to the Seattle area and would be interested in visiting some of the sights mentioned in this thread. In particular, the abbreviated trip to Mt. St. Helen's would be very interesting to me. Any information on how to make this abbreviated trip would be very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

-Akira
Hi! Here’s what we ended up doing at Mt St Helens. We took Hwy 5 South and got off at the Castle Rock exit (#49) to enter the area that way. If you purchase a wrist band for $6 (adult), you can go to all the visitor’s centers, otherwise, it’s $3 per center. As per Dan’s advice, make sure you do the Johnston Ridge center—it’s the furthest one, but the roads allow you to make decent time. The Mountain has steam coming out of it at the top due to the melting and quick reabsorption of water into soil below from it’s only glacier. The main Visitor’s Center shows a couple of short films—we saw one of them. But if you only have limited time or are not a big fan of films, I would still try to see the one at Johnston Ridge anyway--and try to sit in the center of the theater!! They also have seismographs at this center where you can monitor activity at two locations in the area. The day we were there the one graph recorded a “micro-quake” of approx 2 on the Richter Scale—verified by scientists. There are several trails at the various centers and in between. A few at the top are closed due to recent activity by the mountain. The trails are very user friendly and we happily found them to be open even after the visitors’ centers closed at 6pm. The main Visitor’s Center trail is a flat 1 mile. The Hummock Trail is part way up (about 2.5 miles) and there is a short trail at Johnston. If you like slightly bawdy souvenirs, then ask for the “ash hole” baseball cap at Coldwater Ridge. Also know that they call shot glasses there, toothpick holders. Oh and there are still wildflowers blooming at Johnston Ridge.

Mt Rainer—This is worth a trip too. But the roads both to the park and in it make for slower going. We entered this National Park at the Nisqually enterance, on Route 706—SW corner of the park. A day pass for your car is $10. We visited the Longmere Inn to hike a short trail and have lunch—they are a small general store here too. Then we went up to the Jackson Center in Paradise to hike and check out the center there. There are other trails and Centers there. Mt Rainer is just something I couldn’t stop looking at –you see it in Seattle and it just seems so much of a presence!!

Space Needle—We did dinner there—you don’t pay admission to the top that way, but the meals aren’t cheap—the food was good though and you can’t beat the scenery, which revolves around you once about every 45 minutes. There is a two hr limit in the restaurant, which was fine and a $25 minimum food order per person. I recommend making reservations. They do both lunch and dinner there and dinner was business casual, with clean, non holey jeans allowed. Loved watching the seaplanes land and the ships moving around on the water. The most popular dessert was the “lunar lander” ice cream served on top of a bowl of dry ice. And kids write notes and leave them along the window for others to add to. So each time you rotate by, you can see the latest comment.

Mariners Game—Really a pleasant evening at a very nice playing field—Safeco. The folks running the show kept everyone entertained, but watch out for the train noise when you sit along the lower outfield, second base line. Parking ran from $5 at various lots renting space for the night to $22 in the garage right across from the stadium. I got to see Ichiro in action and now I’m a fan!!

Lake Washington Ship Canal and Chittenden Locks—A nice place to visit too. Free allow you have to pay for street parking close by. There are locks and man made salmon ladders here, with a viewing window. Also a nice garden area. One person fell off her boat while trying to tie it down in the lock. And watch out for the sprinklers that come on when they drain the one lock to keep the seagulls from feeding on the young salmon—I forget what they’re called.

Boeing Tour in Everett—Probably worth seeing, but does not go into much detail. Cost is more if you make a reservation ahead ($10 per person), but you don’t have to wait in line to get tickets in the morning to get a space on one of the tours. You get to view the 747 production area and some of the paint sheds, etc.

And of course, the Flight Museum, the Tacoma Zoo and Aquarium and poor Jimi Hendrix’s gravesite, which looks like it’s been made into a monument consisting of a concrete gazebo.

BTW, we stayed at the airport at La Quinta, where you could see the tails of the various jets peeking out over the Northwest Bldg from our room—the othere side of the building face Mt Rainer. I know because we had to switch rooms due to A/C problems—othere guests were having problems too. I guess the weather was warmer then usual for this time of year(?). The Hotel was decent and there was a Doubletree across the street with restaurants and a bar, etc.

Gads, I sound like a AAA travel guide! Have fun out there (like we did) and hope you all get together soon. Don’t be wimpy like me and not ask to meet up with some of the local board members if you would like too!

Anita

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
So sad to hear Jimi was gehy.ouich

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wish i saw this earlier. The grave where Jimi rests is in Renton. Some of my friends and I did a mini music tour through Seattle last year. We went to the EMP and visited Kurt Cobain's house. Didn't have time to check out Hendrix's grave however.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
akiramats1 said:
Anita, thanks for the tour ideas...it sounds better than a AAA guide! i hope to put your tour to the test soon.

Thanks again.
You're welcome!! Of course now I see the mistakes I made in my post--the fourth visitor's center at Mt St. Helens actually is some kind of Forest Center, not part of the 3 Centers--we didn't go to it. And the dessert at the Needle is the "Lunar Orbiter".

Hope you have a very enjoyable visit!!!!!!

Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
polvoronn said:
I wish i saw this earlier. The grave where Jimi rests is in Renton. Some of my friends and I did a mini music tour through Seattle last year. We went to the EMP and visited Kurt Cobain's house. Didn't have time to check out Hendrix's grave however.
I would have loved to gone to the Experience Music Project (EMP), but time just didn't allow. It's my understanding you end up spending many hours there--is that true?

Also I thought that the house (garage) where Kurt Cobain ended his life had been torn down, but that you can still see the lot where it was--is that what you saw or was it another place where he lived?

I have a pic of Hendrix's new grave site--do you think I should post it or would you like me to send you a copy?

Anita

1 - 17 of 17 Posts