BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 750 miles on a rear Michelin PS2 on my M5 with a 3-4 mm nail in the inner sidewall - can I get this fixed or do I buy a $443 new rear tire? hmmm

·
Registered
556 Posts
:grrrr:Unfortunately the inner side-wall is the worst place for a nail or screw. You are going to have to buy a new tire. Do the rear PS2's really cost $443.00 That is CRAZY. Sucks! Sorry.:grrrr:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:grrrr:Unfortunately the inner side-wall is the worst place for a nail or screw. You are going to have to buy a new tire. Do the rear PS2's really cost $443.00 That is CRAZY. Sucks! Sorry.:grrrr:
I have a friend who can get one for $420 - then I'd have to go pick it up and find an installer - so $443 installed was the best I could do locally.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yes, new tire is required. I live in a new housing development and frequently see nails in my tires. Another reason I opted for Conti's over PS2's -- much cheaper to replace.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
You really can't be serious, are you ??? Are you that much of a NON car person to realize the potential for catastrophic consequences ??? come on, are you really ?? Your putting us on, right ???
LOOSE the tire, or loose your life. PERIOD...READ all the posts on weather to repair tires or junk them....even a nail in the tire of a high speed car, (one that goes over 30mph) should be put aside...
....PLEASE, spend the bucks, i know it hurts, but what is my families life worth when you hit them because you lost control, because you fixed a tire that should have been scraped...
...If you find me offensive too bad, don't be ignorant of safety....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Expensive toys & their replacment parts

If you're looking for a cheap replacement, try Costco, $446.99 including everything except sales tax:

Mounting
Lifetime balancing
Lifetime flat repair
Lifetime air pressure checks
New rubber valve stem
Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=BMW&MD=M5+(Rear)&SP=0&MN=64780&cat=3961&lang=en-US&MNo=0&Prodid=11173791&Aspect=35&Diameter=19&Speed=Y&Width=285

Normally I avoid extra cost warranties, in this situation purchase road hazard repair & replacement coverage regardless of where you buy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really can't be serious, are you ??? Are you that much of a NON car person to realize the potential for catastrophic consequences ??? come on, are you really ?? Your putting us on, right ???
LOOSE the tire, or loose your life. PERIOD...READ all the posts on weather to repair tires or junk them....even a nail in the tire of a high speed car, (one that goes over 30mph) should be put aside...
....PLEASE, spend the bucks, i know it hurts, but what is my families life worth when you hit them because you lost control, because you fixed a tire that should have been scraped...
...If you find me offensive too bad, don't be ignorant of safety....
Advise well taken, thx.

Reactions: unfoundhorsepower

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yesterday, I just changed my 5000 mile old front PS2 b/c of a tiny bubble forming on the sidewall. Seems like I may have hit a stiff pothole of rock. $350 installed. I did not even hesitate or ask anyone if it is safe. Lives are not worth only $350... heck, my ins deductable is $1000.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Lots of construction around here too. I've had to replace 3 expensive tires in the last two years.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Lots of construction around here too. I've had to replace 3 expensive tires in the last two years.
:eek: That does suck.....too bad, and you did make the wise move !!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yesterday, I just changed my 5000 mile old front PS2 b/c of a tiny bubble forming on the sidewall. Seems like I may have hit a stiff pothole of rock. $350 installed. I did not even hesitate or ask anyone if it is safe. Lives are not worth only $350... heck, my ins deductable is $1000.
Any type of side wall bubble is a belt separation or break and needs replacing. A flat at triple digit speeds is spooky, if any doubt of a tire's integrity, replace it.

A lot of construction in my area, I've replaced two and patched a full set of PS2s in the last 1.5 years. I use Discount Tire and buy the road hazard warranty; so far the claims exceed the premiums.

Reactions: EM_5

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i had the exact same thing happen to me , but my tire was 200 miles old !! same thing though nail in the side wall !!

really sucks !! not only did a new set of tires cost $1600 i had to buy a new 1 week later for $450

i though i was the only one with luck like this !!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Happened twice to me.......I'm in and out of new construction all the time. Cost of doin business I guess. I just can't seem to leave the M5 home. :dunno:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I have TIRE and WHEEL coverage, and all is covered...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can you trust CostCo for the installation?

If you're looking for a cheap replacement, try Costco, $446.99 including everything except sales tax:

Mounting
Lifetime balancing
Lifetime flat repair
Lifetime air pressure checks
New rubber valve stem
Costco Wholesale's road hazard warranty

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=2006&MA=BMW&MD=M5+(Rear)&SP=0&MN=64780&cat=3961&lang=en-US&MNo=0&Prodid=11173791&Aspect=35&Diameter=19&Speed=Y&Width=285

Normally I avoid extra cost warranties, in this situation purchase road hazard repair & replacement coverage regardless of where you buy.

·
Registered
836 Posts
For those whose tire had popped within a construction area, obtain & submit a claim form to cover the costs of the new tire/tires. I have seen these tires being reimbursed more often than naught.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I don't see why not. Just make sure they use a Hunter Balancing machine (preferbly) and make sure they hand torque the lugs, not just impact gun it. I believe it is 88.5 lbs.
I used them based on a recommendation on this board. Of course, I went in and talked to the guys first so that they new how picky I am. They did a first rate job and would not accept the tip I profferred.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts