BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: My passenger sideview mirror appears to be delaminating. I explained this to my service advisor who ordered a replacement. At the time, I was told that the problem could simply be the mirror or we might have to replace the entire mirror assembly. Subsequently I was told by the same dealership that regardless of the problem, the entire mirror assembly will need to be replaced. This seems like overkill. Does anyone know if the mirror and its backing can be replaced while leaving the housing intact?

Although it is an expensive part, warranty is covering it. My only concern is that they will have to paint the new housing and I'm not particularly interested in having any part of my car repainted. Am I unnecessarily concerned about the new titanium silver housing matching the rest of the car?

Any help is appreciated.
TexasM5

·
Registered
451 Posts
I has the same problem on my M3. The service advisor told me that I had to replace the entire mirror, but when I went to the Parts Dept., they sold me a replacement mirror that took about 2 minutes to install. Obviously, it wasn't a warranty item (had about 110,000 mi. on at that time).

PCUT

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Here are the part numbers of a 2002 M5, for just the mirror glass:

MIRROR GLAS HEATED PLANE LEFT M 1 51162498931 $183.60
MIRROR GLAS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT M 1 51167890510 $253.20

And for the whole primed assembly:

LEFT PRIMED EL.EXTERIOR HEATABLE MIRROR M 1 51162694891 $406.80
RIGHT PRIMED EL.EXTER.HEATABLE MIRROR M 1 51162694892 $406.80

·
Registered
739 Posts
Make sure there is nothing leaking from the mirror. It happened to me and something got on the paint that started to stain it. They replaced the mirror, not the housing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silverstreak said:
Make sure there is nothing leaking from the mirror. It happened to me and something got on the paint that started to stain it. They replaced the mirror, not the housing.
They offered to replace the housing and mirror. I'm just not sure that I want the housing replaced. Should I be concerned about color matching a new housing to the old paint?

Thanks again,
TexasM5

·
Registered
739 Posts
TexasM5 said:
They offered to replace the housing and mirror. I'm just not sure that I want the housing replaced. Should I be concerned about color matching a new housing to the old paint?

Thanks again,
TexasM5
Anytime they paint you may have an issue with matching colors. The paint has weathered. Everything else being equal, I would avoid having to paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts