BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my car's 100,000 mile birthday, some dickhead levered a screwdriver in between the rear trim and the glass on the driver's door and shattered the window. (Why he couldn't have just used a hammer is beyond me.) The alarm went off, he grabbed my iPod (which I had foolishly left in sight), and nothing else, leaving me with a big mess, a bent piece of window trim and a bunch of hassle in front of me.

The body shop quoted me about $350 to replace the trim and glass so I left it there. They then called me and said "oh, bad news, the regulator was broken so we have to replace that too." I smell a rat. I don't see how the regulator could get broken, and I KNOW I didn't ever lower the broken window - the regulator was in the up position the whole time. But they had me by the proverbial gonads, so I told them to go ahead and fix it. What else could I do? Estimate now closer to $650.

When I went to pick up the car, I spoke to the guy who fixed it. I asked him to explain how breaking the window would break the regulator. He was unable. I asked him to show me the regulator. I examined it, and pointed out that it wasn't broken, which he acknowledged. He said the little bits of glass would eventually ruin it. Now, there WERE little bits of glass all around to be sure, but they vacuumed the area. Given that they can remove the regulator and replace it with a new one, ($160 part), couldn't they remove the old one, clean it and replace it?

SO - my question is - do you think this was a tactic to increase the bill, or do you think it was a legitimate argument on their part? If the former, how can I "prove" this? (It ain't worth the money to pursue it, I know. It's a principle issue.)

·
Registered
837 Posts
good luck, I sense a screw job, unless somebody else can shed more light on this, Josh

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
greg said:
SO - my question is - do you think this was a tactic to increase the bill, or do you think it was a legitimate argument on their part? If the former, how can I "prove" this? (It ain't worth the money to pursue it, I know. It's a principle issue.)
It sounds rather bogus to me, unless something had gotten bent removing the glass. His argument regarding failure as a result of glass shards...I don't buy it.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Greg,

It's too bad the glass could not have exploded on to the the guy breaking in.

Mark

ps - good to hear that you reached the 100k mark with very few issues.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So sorry to hear about your window--what a pane in the *ss (OK that was a very lame pun). Seriously, I'm going to try and run this by my SA and maybe he'll have an idea or two about it. Otherwise, I'm of no help. Again, sorry it happened!

Anita

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Greg,

Sorry to learn of the misfortune.

When Margaret left the Odyssey at the gym with her purse inside, someone busted the passenger's window and stole her purse. We replaced the side glass for $150, vaccumed the shards clean, and changed nothing else.

I gether you are paying this bill yourself. I'd try to strong-arm the shop into a rebate, and then sell the regulator to try to recoup some of your losses.

Otherwise, I hope all else is fine with you. I am having a terrible year. Nothing's going right. :( :(

CP

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That sounds really fishy to me Greg. I have had power windows replaced on a few cars, and a lot of my friends have too. None of us have ever heard of anything like this. Doesnt mean that it isnt true per se, but it just sounds like a price hike on the bill. I think just cleaning the broken glass away and maybe cleaning the regulator would have done the job just fine.
100k? Wow, you drive like I do. I have a 2003 VW, and I'm about ready to tick over 50k in it.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think they replaced it to be sure that you wouldn't come back complaining about a problem or noise caused by a piece of glass wedged somewhere. They figured on eliminating the chance of a "why-didn't-you-catch-this" thing, later...at your expense now, of course.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
BmwNut said:
That sounds really fishy to me Greg. I have had power windows replaced on a few cars, and a lot of my friends have too. None of us have ever heard of anything like this. Doesnt mean that it isnt true per se, but it just sounds like a price hike on the bill. I think just cleaning the broken glass away and maybe cleaning the regulator would have done the job just fine.

:cheers:
I tend to agree with Bren. If they were concerned about the problem occurring later, they should have had that discussion with you and let you make the call.
I have had windows broken and never replaced a regulator. In light of their inability to offer a cogent explanation, I would discuss with the shop manager in a nice but firm way. BTW, did you ever sign a WRITTEN work order/authorization??
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My SA wrote back and I'll PM you what he said, but what I take away from what he said is that unless there was a pre-existing condition, then the tech, for some reason, decided to replace instead of clean and/or relubricate the old one (something my SA thought was straight forward to do--the cleaning, etc. that is).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Anita said:
So sorry to hear about your window--what a pane in the *ss (OK that was a very lame pun). Seriously, I'm going to try and run this by my SA and maybe he'll have an idea or two about it. Otherwise, I'm of no help. Again, sorry it happened!

Anita
hihaDon't worry, I got your pun, Anita. At first, I thought it was just a spelling error(they are so common on these boards) and then I thought about it for a second, read on, and proceeded to laugh my butt off.

Sounds like you're getting ripped off to me, but sometimes things like this can be linked for reasons that don't immediately seem logical. Ask the body shop doing the work why it needs to be replaced. If it really does, I'm sure there will be a reasonable answer. Further, I would ask for them to return the defective part to you.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
davem3smg said:
Ask the body shop doing the work why it needs to be replaced. If it really does, I'm sure there will be a reasonable answer. Further, I would ask for them to return the defective part to you.
Re-read my original post. I DID ask them, they changed their story several times. first it was broken, then it was due to glass shards, themn it was because "they always do it." And i DID see the old part, and a visual inspection showed all cables and pulleys to be in fine shape. I am more convinced than ever that they screwed me. I am still waiting for the (must be M5-specific?) black chrome trim piece that goes on the rear of the window opening, and they are supposed to install that while I wait once it comes in. When that is DONE, I plan to speak to their manager. I will make him a proposition - either he refunds my money for that part of the service, or I will file a complaint with the Bureau of Auto Repair. They're the guys who will send "ringers" into the shop - and they levy heavy fines.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
greg said:
Re-read my original post. I DID ask them, they changed their story several times. first it was broken, then it was due to glass shards, themn it was because "they always do it." And i DID see the old part, and a visual inspection showed all cables and pulleys to be in fine shape. I am more convinced than ever that they screwed me. I am still waiting for the (must be M5-specific?) black chrome trim piece that goes on the rear of the window opening, and they are supposed to install that while I wait once it comes in. When that is DONE, I plan to speak to their manager. I will make him a proposition - either he refunds my money for that part of the service, or I will file a complaint with the Bureau of Auto Repair. They're the guys who will send "ringers" into the shop - and they levy heavy fines.
Sorry, I missed that little bit...yeah, sounds like a screw job to me...I talked to my truck mechanic who is very knowledgable and he said it sounds like a screw job as well, but to be sure, call a BMW parts department and talk to one of the parts guys and ask them if there is any reason you would need to change it when replacing the glass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts