BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Side View Mirror Weirdness

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  apetrov1x5 
#1 ·
After an up close and personal encounter with a Semi on the Expressways of Chicago I found myself needing to replace the driver's side view mirror as the housing had been cracked.

I went to my trusty body shop who ordered me a new mirror, painted it and installed it. Once installed everything was perfect except the power rotate feature. When rotated they go in opposite directions, one up, one down. Never to return to synchronization. The body shop then figuring there might be something wrong with the first mirror they ordered decided to order another. Same problem with the second mirror. Anyone have any ideas? Is there some coding that needs to be done on the mirror?

Thanks
Ben

#3 ·
ard said:
Ahh, the Marty Feldman Mirror Syndrome....
LMAO, Ard!

This is an uneducated SWAG, but could they have switched the leads on the motor used to rotate the units, thereby causing it to rotate in the opposite direction? Just a guess, and worth every bit of what you paid for it!

-Dave

Reactions: apetrov1x5
#4 ·
Here's a thought- after reading the details on the WDS, it appears there is no microswitch on the M5 mirrors- just motor leads...so the electronics never really know what position the mirror is in, the current just goes high as the motor hits the position limit and they stop.

Personally, I'd like the idea of the mirrors periodically 'goggling' at me- but I can see your concern..
:)

I'd disconnect one mirror, then press the rotate button, then reconenct the mirror. Maybe they'll be synched up now...

The button press sends a command via the pbus to the controller. if the command is just 'rotate mirror' then maybe you can re-sync them... if it is rotate up and rotate down, this likely won't work...

Seems like the only way to swtich leads is if they are splicing wires and not using the connectors that come with the parts- THIS would be disconcerting...

A

#5 ·
ard said:
Here's a thought- after reading the details on the WDS, it appears there is no microswitch on the M5 mirrors- just motor leads...so the electronics never really know what position the mirror is in, the current just goes high as the motor hits the position limit and they stop.

Personally, I'd like the idea of the mirrors periodically 'goggling' at me- but I can see your concern..
:)

I'd disconnect one mirror, then press the rotate button, then reconenct the mirror. Maybe they'll be synched up now...

The button press sends a command via the pbus to the controller. if the command is just 'rotate mirror' then maybe you can re-sync them... if it is rotate up and rotate down, this likely won't work...

Seems like the only way to swtich leads is if they are splicing wires and not using the connectors that come with the parts- THIS would be disconcerting...

A
An interesting thought, disconnecting one mirror. I tried it at the body shop and no dice. We also tried reattaching the old broken mirror and it still rotates in sync as you would expect. Somehow the new mirrors are not syncing up with the car.

I know a couple of people asked about the concept of reversed wires. It was indeed the first thing we thought of. The connectors are as you would expect keyed so they can only be connected one way. It's an eight wire harness on which I haven't positively identified the motor leads from the dimming leads from the heated leads, etc.

Thanks
Ben

#6 ·
Take the old (useless) mirror- cut the motor wires, reverse them. If the mirror now works incorrectly like the new ones- then the new ones are miswired..... not inconcieveable that the wrong wire was placed into the wrong pin location on the conenctor... you might even be able to pop the pins out and correct it without much fuss.

As far as QA goes, if the leads are reversed, they would all look the same electrically- (but not functionally) who knows how complete the QA tests are....

Yet another WAG-

Oh, you are looking for pins 1 and 2 of the 12 pin connector that goes into the driver door control module (ie the back of the window button switch in the driver door) Connector X1128, pins 1 & 2....

A

#7 ·
Ben,

I remember being able to reproduce what you are seeing by pressing the mirror up/down buttom repeatedly. I used it to signal hello to another m5, but stopped because it caused the mirrors to rotate opposite at times. I can't remember what I did to correct it. But my guess is that I pressed it repeatedly quickly, or helded it down, until the mirrors rotated together. Maybe my experience will help you.

Philip

#8 ·
From the WDS:

"Since the mirror fold-in motors block when operated, thermal overloading is possible if operated frequently. In order to avoid overloading, a repeat lockout is provided which blocks the fold-in motors for 3 minutes after 6 operating attempts within 1 minute."

#9 ·
I had this happen to me once before. I simply rotated the offending mirror manually, and very gently to the correct position. They have been in-sync (sounds like a good name for a band) ever since. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
All, my car is at the dealer. My left mirror was replaced under warranty, then they replaced the right one because it was in the wrong position when the other one was installed. Now there are 2 new mirror housings and they are doing the same thing as in post #1. Is the preferred method just to manually move one to the correct position? Are there any other options than discussed in this thread? Not sure the BMW dealership likes the idea of manually moving the mirror since they are paying for one of them. I already texted the service advisor and told him to have the tech try it.

#11 ·
One of those 'the writer was german and who knows how it was translated' things.

My *GUESS* is that what they mean is, since there is no microswitch to sense that the mirror has reached the end position and turn off the drive voltage, with the M5 the mirror fold motor continues to operate even when they are in the end position (and hence blocked from further motion). Since they only do so for a brief period, this is not going to damage them. however, if done repeatedly, thermal overload is possible, so there is a lockout...

jsut a guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.