BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys if searched on and off the forum and could not find a diy or any info on how to replace the gaskets on the side pumps located on the oil pan. The $9 gaskets are leaking and I would like to replace them. They seem straight forward to replaced but just want to make sure there’s no special tools or procedures to do prior to removing the pumps? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nothing special needed. Two screws, and the pump comes off. You’ll want to clean the surface before reinstalling, and you doing want any trash getting in the pump or oil system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing special needed. Two screws, and the pump comes off. You’ll want to clean the surface before reinstalling, and you doing want any trash getting in the pump or oil system.
perfect! Thanks that’s what I thought but just wanted to make sure!

·
1,737 Posts
Fyi I recently replaced the drivers side aux pump. While looking at it and also talking to Jim I feared dropping the subframe would be required as the steering rack is in the way. But it can be done from the wheel side using 1/4" wobbly extensions.

Now if you're talking passenger side then that is straightforward.

I don't know if you have to drain the oil to avoid spillage through the pump ports. I did this together with an oil change so my oil pan was empty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fyi I recently replaced the drivers side aux pump. While looking at it and also talking to Jim I feared dropping the subframe would be required as the steering rack is in the way. But it can be done from the wheel side using 1/4" wobbly extensions.

Now if you're talking passenger side then that is straightforward.

I don't know if you have to drain the oil to avoid spillage through the pump ports. I did this together with an oil change so my oil pan was empty.

thanks for the info!Good to know that subframe doesn’t need dropping ha

·
Registered
183 Posts
well went on realoem I thought it said like 9. I did the same check online and says about 14
yep, realoem is just the BMW's internal and old ETK feed. I was hoping you discovered some secret source. I think BMW has realized that there's no need for them to take legal action to shut down that site since it ends up helping normal people like us figure out what parts they need and BMW just laughs their way to the bank for these stupid figure 8 orings that cost about 10 cents to make and leak after 5 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, realoem is just the BMW's internal and old ETK feed. I was hoping you discovered some secret source. I think BMW has realized that there's no need for them to take legal action to shut down that site since it ends up helping normal people like us figure out what parts they need and BMW just laughs their way to the bank for these stupid figure 8 orings that cost about 10 cents to make and leak after 5 years.
agreed right! I just got it from my local Bmw dealer. I know a guy that takes care of me and for it for 16 each same day.Couldn’t wait as I want to fix the leak asap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts