BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

UK resident here... I’ve recently noticed that my passenger side mirror has stopped working altogether. It’s been this was for about 1.5months (not had the time to look into it). What’s interesting is that the driver side mirror works as it should and completely fine but the passenger side mirror neither tilts in reverse mode, nor adjusts side-to-side/up down and fold.

What could it be? If it was fuse related the driver side wouldn’t work unless they’re wired in to a diff circuit which I can’t imagine.

I used to hear the passenger mirror motor still active when the car was off but switch off after 5 odd minutes. Not sure if this is still the case as I've not had much time as of late.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Done a bit of pic whoring below :)

KR,
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have the auto down side mirror when reversing it will wear the tilting system out so much faster in the passanger mirror. I bet it's the motor in it that's gone bad. I have a spare side mirror from a parts car if you find you need one

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the auto down side mirror when reversing it will wear the tilting system out so much faster in the passanger mirror. I bet it's the motor in it that's gone bad. I have a spare side mirror from a parts car if you find you need one
Thanks for the response there buddy.

I'm in the UK so what would posting cost? Secondly, I've got a 3 pin mirror with the basic wiring so it will need to be compatible.

KR,
Sam

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have zero idea on cost for shipping. I'll look at the pins this week and see what kind of connectornit has

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would recode all the mirror options before spending money on a new mirror. My driver side mirror went berserk this weekend, upside down and wouldn't stop rotating. I shut off all Mirror options using Carly for BMW and recoded them. Works great now.

This may not be your issue, but I will always check the programming before buying new electronic parts. It worked in my case.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My M6 ....wityh it's previous owner had issues that were initially considered to be bad contacts.... however out was the motor in the unit that ended being replaced.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem fixed - turned out a case of water ingress in the pin connectors - now resolved and working :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can the casing on the mirror be removed easily (any pointers would be appreciated) as the light which shines onto the floor under the mirror has stopped working (hopefully a simply bulb replace).

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can the casing on the mirror be removed easily (any pointers would be appreciated) as the light which shines onto the floor under the mirror has stopped working (hopefully a simply bulb replace).

Thanks
Assuming you mean the black part then yes... just carefully pry it out. There secured with just some tabs that click in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Managed to get the black part off quite easily but the bulb housing seems to be fixed into place! Has anybody got any experience of successfully changing the bulb as I don't really want to force the bulb housing off.

I'm thinking surely the bulb can be changed as the alternative would be to buy the entire black part which will no doubt cost a fortune!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd be very very careful with that glass if I were you its not just 7yrs bad luck if you crack it.

I am in Australia and hit a Galah (large bird) in my 550 on the way to work last week and the dealer quoted me.. wait for it... AU$1,460 for the glass alone. I said I won't be ordering that thanks.

Mine was looking perfect after 12yrs of use so there must be more just like it out there second hand, for a lot cheaper than that.

Something to keep in mind when popping them in or out :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts