BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, looking for a fix for the passenger side mirror housing wobble. The mirror itself is fine. All functions work great. But the housings wobbles. It’s noticeable driving and when shutting the door. Before I start taking everything apart, I was hoping to get some answers here. It’s the part of the housing that rotates up. Not the part secured to the door. I know it’s a pain to get that housing off. Real OEM doesn’t show the assembly broken down to see if it’s just a matter of tightening up a couple of bolts or anything. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,843 Posts
This could mean that the folding-mechanism gearing has skipped. Sometimes you can get it back on track by helping the rotation along so it can reach its endpoint. Somewhere there is a post here about full disassembly and refurbishment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This could mean that the folding-mechanism gearing has skipped. Sometimes you can get it back on track by helping the rotation along so it can reach its endpoint. Somewhere there is a post here about full disassembly and refurbishment.
Even though it folds up perfect? Even better than the drivers side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
C_5,

I had my pax side mirror assembly off the car recently. Like yours, mine had been a little loose. While drying the windshield after a car wash, part of the towel dragged over the mirror housing, which came off (still attached only by the wiring).

It's possible you might have some loose screws (there are six of them). The screws attach a base plate to the mirror housing and to the motor assembly. IIRC only two screws can be accessed when the mirror housing is in place (but the mirror is removed).

You may need to take things apart, starting with the door card. l did. The base plate that holds the housing to the motor mechanism is probably broken. My fatigued original base plate was in three pieces. BMW doesn't sell the base plate separately but there are aftermarket sources. See my earlier post here: Mirror base plate replacement

With things disassembled, I noticed that the pax-side mirror motor had a small amount of play. After reassembly, there is still slight movement in the mirror housing but it is stable at speed or when closing the door. I attribute this play to the motor. There is slightly more play in the driver's side mirror housing. Perhaps this is also attributable to the motor and, possibly, wear of the driver's side mirror base mounting plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts