BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Simon, I have the same exact issue with the mirror sitting too far down on my 06. I sent you a message about a set of those.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Simon, I have the same exact issue with the mirror sitting too far down on my 06. I sent you a message about a set of those.
Replied!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huge thank you to Simon for this high quality part. He even helped me through the steps of doing it. I discovered something important, which is that the elongated hole area also cracks. Even with cracks though, it's encased well enough that the pin can still do its job with Simon's replacement part.

Old vs new

Straight mirror

Here is a closeup of the damage the pin did. It created a ramp in the pot metal. You can definitely get some years out of reversing the ring, as you can see the other side is undamaged. But it will eventually fail, and taking these things apart is not a fun job.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm just glad we're fixing things that BMW didn't intend to last forever. I know it's to balance cost and requirements, but I feel like mirrors are kinda important for the safety of the driver...

·
Registered
6 Posts
100% agree and thanks again Simon.

My friend recently completed the fix for me and being able to drive/see without craning my head downwards has made a huge difference in driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I look at that motor it makes me think of the garbage can I made for techcrunch that would separate trash, compost, recyclables using machine learning.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Really nice parts you made. They remind me a bit of dog rings in a gearbox. :)
You're right! I never thought about that!

141 - 149 of 149 Posts