101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Will make selection Monday!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I eneded up using an open end wrench and tapping the clip back on. Don't have the tool to remove from the connector. It worked though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I had my mirror off, I drove with the door panel removed. Airbag & Seatbelt light is on now. Tried 2 different basic OBD2 readers to erase to no avail. Can I clear this code from the odometer button trick?

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I had my mirror off, I drove with the door panel removed. Airbag & Seatbelt light is on now. Tried 2 different basic OBD2 readers to erase to no avail. Can I clear this code from the odometer button trick?
The basic odometer trick won't clear it. If I remember correctly INPA could reset it, or if you have Icarly or bimmergeeks protool.

Reactions: roguem5

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an appointment with the delaer to clear the code for free Monday! Who woulda thought??

Simon, any word on the gear?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yah! It should be going into production next week I think that's what they said. Sorry about not updating!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sunday, I can't find these clips on ebay. Can you send a link? Thanks.
I don’t have a link. Last time I needed one I purchased from fastenal, sorry. That was just a picture I googled.

I used a piece of Stainless round stock to make my own pin. Then I use a generic spring from ace hardware store. I’ll get the size of round stock for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sunday, I can't find these clips on ebay. Can you send a link? Thanks.
I bought these 14mm starlock washers. Perfect match.Tapped on with deep socket. Amazon: "uxcell M14 Starlock Washer 13.5mm I.D. 28mm O.D. Internal Tooth Lock Washers Push-On Locking Speed Clip 304 Stainless Steel".
$7/10; $9/20.

A few thoughts on this project.
1- This is a crap design and can't believe BMW has the same design on the E90 too. unbelievable.
2- Fixing the ring with ramps alone won't solve the problem. Once the pin is bent back, it is even less likely to be pressed up into it's hole. I like the metal epoxy fix to straighten it, but didn't go that route.
3- There will be No Fuse for just the folding feature, because the entire mirror has 3 wires. Power and network with an onboard card to control all the functions, including folding.

My fix- manual folding driver side. I can deal with leaning forward to fold it back while swiping my card at the car wash. I reassembled everything and manually stopped the mirror in the correct position. If forced, it'll fold up. When pushed back it locks into the correct spot. When I was sure it was in the correct position, I disconnected the battery, removed the mirror and Cut the yellow wire that drives the folding motor inside the housing. I then heat shrunk off the ends and reassembled. I could reconnect it if ever desired. Also, you could tear down the mirror further and simply remove the electrical clip from the folding motor, but that was further in and wasn't worth it to me. Reprogrammed memory seats and mirrors again and everything seems to be fine. Button folds passenger mirror, driver mirror not so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought these 14mm starlock washers. Perfect match.Tapped on with deep socket. Amazon: "uxcell M14 Starlock Washer 13.5mm I.D. 28mm O.D. Internal Tooth Lock Washers Push-On Locking Speed Clip 304 Stainless Steel".
$7/10; $9/20.

A few thoughts on this project.
1- This is a crap design and can't believe BMW has the same design on the E90 too. unbelievable.
2- Fixing the ring with ramps alone won't solve the problem. Once the pin is bent back, it is even less likely to be pressed up into it's hole. I like the metal epoxy fix to straighten it, but didn't go that route.
3- There will be No Fuse for just the folding feature, because the entire mirror has 3 wires. Power and network with an onboard card to control all the functions, including folding.

My fix- manual folding driver side. I can deal with leaning forward to fold it back while swiping my card at the car wash. I reassembled everything and manually stopped the mirror in the correct position. If forced, it'll fold up. When pushed back it locks into the correct spot. When I was sure it was in the correct position, I disconnected the battery, removed the mirror and Cut the yellow wire that drives the folding motor inside the housing. I then heat shrunk off the ends and reassembled. I could reconnect it if ever desired. Also, you could tear down the mirror further and simply remove the electrical clip from the folding motor, but that was further in and wasn't worth it to me. Reprogrammed memory seats and mirrors again and everything seems to be fine. Button folds passenger mirror, driver mirror not so much.
It's probably not a fix fix as you mentioned the pin might bend. But for those who's detent ring is already broken. It'll fix it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have used a 5/32 steel rod to fix pin, also made it longer to help with the problem of elongating the hole. I also have machined down 3/16 rod down if elongation is to bad. Then use a modified spring or polyurethane bushing, depending on situation. By using a mild steel rod, it takes some of the wear out of the lock plate.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Cruzers, last year I ended up selling the mirrors you fixed to a fella overseas...the blue ones if you recall. He had them painted and said they work great. Seems like a very complicated design just for a mirror stop? Maybe I'm wrong...

Reactions: sundaycruzers

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't think it's super complicated, just specific parts were used that I feel was not thoroughly tested to ensure longevity. Hard pin sliding on top of soft (zinc?) metal, i'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Cruzers, last year I ended up selling the mirrors you fixed to a fella overseas...the blue ones if you recall. He had them painted and said they work great. Seems like a very complicated design just for a mirror stop? Maybe I'm wrong...
Sweet!! Those were as close to ruined as I’ve ever seen. Glad there still working.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't think it's super complicated, just specific parts were used that I feel was not thoroughly tested to ensure longevity. Hard pin sliding on top of soft (zinc?) metal, i'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster.
Bmw is a lease orientated company. The design is genius, the material they used is “good enough” to last through warranty. I just wish it was actual aluminum not pot metal. But that will soon be a past issue.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bmw is a lease orientated company. The design is genius, the material they used is “good enough” to last through warranty. I just wish it was actual aluminum not pot metal. But that will soon be a past issue.
Yah! The first run should be done by end of August.

Reactions: sundaycruzers

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just updating, they started test running last week. Some tolerances were off with some slop between the back side. Once it gets dialed in, it gets cranked out.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts