BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
After mine started to become misaligned, which must've started to grind down the stop, every time I would unlock the car, the mirror would go into motion, folding all the way under and popping hard.

·
Registered
605 Posts
SundayCruzers, what type of repairs have to done to these mirrors?
Take junk make them work, lol. Besides the locking plate problem, the steel pin that actually does the stopping is usually bent or has elongated the hole it lives in. So far I have only been able to fix them with metal based epoxies. I also found that a larger stop pin helps with not wearing out the lock plate so fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The hole is definitely elongated on mine. The alloy they make these parts with is the real problem, even the housing you're holding here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
And the used mirror assembly I got last week doesn't line up correctly, which is the start of the pin hole being elongated.
Mirror.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took the inside parts out of the mirror I ordered and put them into my sivlerstone outer parts and installed it to the car. Doesn't fully align with the mount and the mirror won't raise enough to be able to see properly, even after using the fold up button a few times, thinking that would re-align it. Gonna return this one and get one that's lining up correctly, if that's possible.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I took the inside parts out of the mirror I ordered and out them into my sivlerstone outer parts and installed it to the car. Doesn't fully align with the mount and the mirror won't raise enough to be able to see properly, even after using the fold up button a few times, thinking that would re-align it. Gonna return this one and get one that's lining up correctly, if that's possible.
Most I've seen have some kind of issue, unfortunately. Which led me to 6 stages of grief and finally deciding to move on with just making a piece.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So rough guesstimate for production is 100-150 per part for. It's still cheaper than a mirror 700+ on getbmwparts, and grabbing a used on that potentially has the same issue. Looking into machine casting which can bring the cost down as well and other machine shops. I should be able to have a decision made by this week or early next and start a run.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So rough guesstimate for production is 100-150 per part for. It's still cheaper than a mirror 700+ on getbmwparts, and grabbing a used on that potentially has the same issue. Looking into machine casting which can bring the cost down as well and other machine shops. I should be able to have a decision made by this week or early next and start a run.
Is the cost to manufacture locally or overseas, and is it for fully machining the piece or just casting? Just asking to think if there is any other way to make it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is the cost to manufacture locally or overseas, and is it for fully machining the piece or just casting? Just asking to think if there is any other way to make it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Locally here. That price is for fully machining. Machine casting is an option but I'm worried that the piece won't be as strong. I'm a firm believer of do it right, do it once.

·
Registered
605 Posts
100-150 for a billet steel replacement is what it’s worth. Replace a smg unit then come talk. I’m tired of trying to fix them without good parts. One of bmw’s letdowns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Found another used mirror in NorCal. When I unpacked it, the mirror was rotating freely until I turned it down and finally I heard the pin pop into place, with the mirror pointing downward. Yea, same old problem. Wondering if I connect this mirror, and try the realignment trick, will it pop back into the correct stop? Thoughts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good news on pricing. Lower than expected, will update once I get all quotes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey Sunday, how do get the clip back onto the top of the tower?
I use a socket and a rubber mallet. I usually have to “straighten” the teeth on the circle clip too. You can use a socket as well to do that, or anything round that’s the right size.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good news on pricing. Lower than expected, will update once I get all quotes.
I would repop the motor base plate too. That pin location is always elongated and next to impossible to repair. Between the two everyone would have solid working mirrors for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would repop the motor base plate too. That pin location is always elongated and next to impossible to repair. Between the two everyone would have solid working mirrors for the foreseeable future.
Noted, let me examine mines.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts