BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Side mirror (driver's side) goes past the normal postion and the whole housing points down. The normal lock position has been moved down a couple of millimeters past the "crease" line between the mirror housing an the door. I have been manally lifting the while mirror housing back to the correct "stop" position so I can actually see out of the mirror. It is not "locked" in that position and does eventually drop back down. I don't use the mirror retract function at all. If I let it stay down the mirror can't adjust high enough to see anything.

The passenger side is just fine and lines up at the "crease" between the mirror housing and the door just fine. I locked into the correct place.

I need to take a pic I guess when the I get the car back tomorrow. Anyway the dealer called tonight and said the only way to fix it is to order a new side mirror housing, paint it and install it. $1,050. Ouch. I said no thanks.

Any ideas how I can fix this without purchasing a new housing? I read here on the forum there is a way to reset the internal lock position. I tried but to no avail.

Am I explaining this problem correctly?

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I have the exact same issue, the locking point of the mirror is not inline with the fixed section of the base, it is slightly lower which means I can not see objects without moving my head towards the drivers side window. For the past month I have been moving the whole mirror slight up out of its locking position which works for now but I noticed this when I purchased the car and it is a defect which they are going to cover and replace the whole mirror. I even did the reset decribed by others but this is not a mirror issue but more of the actual locking point of the entire mirror.

Hope that was clear as it's hard to describe and annoying to live with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up my car today. Went out to look at the mirror - fixed! My SA was off today so I'm not sure what they did. I hit the mirror fold button and was able to retract them and unfold them...went to the correct location 3X times. So I'm not sure why they wanted to charge me $1K to fix this. They must have performed a reset but though I was complaining about that setting. I'm very happy. $128 diagnostic fee which I initially complained about until I saw the car was fixed and now I won't argue it.

Hopefully this is a permanant fix. I'll call my SA on Monday and see if he knows what the tech did and post the results here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any update on this? My car is at the stealership right now getting this looked at. hey are quoting me $1300 for the fix... :eek7:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I fixed mine after trying the above link three times till it actually clicked and then it started working fine, be fine ever since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
interestingly, this happened to me as well when i was backing up and knocked my mirror against the wall. i had this problem for a couple days so i manually moved the mirror a bit so that it would be in the right position. it wasnt "locked in" so that if i bumped it a bit, it would jump into it's locked position. then all of a sudden, it just fixed itself. i did fold/unfold the mirrors a bunch of times in hopes that it would align itself. but it seemed to just fix itself somehow. hope the same happens to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts