• Let the car cool down for a minute then shut off the ignition

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about your shutdown method. I personally blip the throttle before shutting down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why? Habit or do you think there's some benefit to be derived?

Just wondering. (I simply shut down.)

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't really know. I think I picked it up at the track. I suppose that by reving before shutting down, it forces new cooler oil through the engine. Maybe an extra but of juice for the battery? I've noticed on my wifes vehicle, it start up better after doing this. Maybe something to do with residual gas in the line? I do know that turbo cars are supposed to be cooled down for a minute before shutdown...so the oil doesn't bake in the turbo. Maybe the old carburetor cars needed this back in the day?

·
Registered
238 Posts
boostmiser said:
Don't really know. I think I picked it up at the track. I suppose that by reving before shutting down, it forces new cooler oil through the engine. Maybe an extra but of juice for the battery? I've noticed on my wifes vehicle, it start up better after doing this. Maybe something to do with residual gas in the line? I do know that turbo cars are supposed to be cooled down for a minute before shutdown...so the oil doesn't bake in the turbo. Maybe the old carburetor cars needed this back in the day?
That's kind of what I was thinking - that this is one of those holdovers from the good old days...almost gone by. I think that people used to do it to ensure that the resevoir in the carb had fuel in it for the next crank. Or something like that . . .

I'm wondering if this is somewhat akin to the 'religion' of warming up a car. I start the car, wait the brief period - 20-40 secs? - for the idle to drop to 'normal' levels and go. Of course, that 'go' is tempered until the engine is fully up to temp but, I have never understood why some people think you need to let a car idle for 3-5 miutes and why that is any better than taking it easy until the car is fully warmed up.

Greg
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
shut down the old fashioned way, turn the key to the off position;)
Same, unless I have run the car hard, then I will let it idle down for couple of minutes to let the oil temps come down a little.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
694 Posts
I shove a couple of Bananas in the exhaust...

·
10,455 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
I shove a couple of Bananas in the exhaust...

:confused3 :confused3 :haha2: :haha2:

So, does anyone just dump the clutch with the car in gear and foot on the brake? :haha2:

I just shut off...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I usually let the car idle for 15-30 seconds and then just turn her off.
:cheers:

I'm with Jerry on this one!

gdoan said:
I'm wondering if this is somewhat akin to the 'religion' of warming up a car. I start the car, wait the brief period - 20-40 secs? - for the idle to drop to 'normal' levels and go. Of course, that 'go' is tempered until the engine is fully up to temp
:wroom:

And with GREG on this one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
:confused3 :confused3 :haha2: :haha2:

So, does anyone just dump the clutch with the car in gear and foot on the brake? :haha2:
On purpose? :haha:

Since I back down my driveway and into the garage, my car is at idle for about a minute, then I usually just shut it off...unless I feel the need to annoy the neighbors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was reading the manual the other day, and noticed that it stated not to warm you car up at idle. It says to drive your car to warm it up. I wonder why?

gdoan said:
. .I'm wondering if this is somewhat akin to the 'religion' of warming up a car. I start the car, wait the brief period - 20-40 secs? - for the idle to drop to 'normal' levels and go. Of course, that 'go' is tempered until the engine is fully up to temp but, I have never understood why some people think you need to let a car idle for 3-5 miutes and why that is any better than taking it easy until the car is fully warmed up.

Greg

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hector Lopez said:
I was reading the manual the other day, and noticed that it stated not to warm you car up at idle. It says to drive your car to warm it up. I wonder why?
The answer is well-known in the oil industry. Engine wear is a largely a function of the time you spend running with cold oil. Wear increases exponentially wrt temp, when temps are below 150 degrees F. About 80% of engine wear in the average motor occurs during the brief period while it's warming up. This is one reason why "short trip" cars show their age quickly.

Modest increases in engine loading with moderate RPM and additional fuel (throttle) will serve to accelerate the warmup of oil which reduces engine wear. Start the key & drive off. Leaving a cold engine idling in the driveway is not good because it takes much longer to reach operating temps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm no expert but i read on a web site that it was best to let the car idle for 20-30 secs before shut down as this allowed oil to coat barrels, piston head etc.

It said that if you shut down by blipping the throttle the excess petrol washes the oil from barrels etc and so increased wear at start up.

Would welcome an informed opinion on the above from lscman etc :confused2

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
jim mc d said:
I'm no expert but i read on a web site that it was best to let the car idle for 20-30 secs before shut down as this allowed oil to coat barrels, piston head etc.

It said that if you shut down by blipping the throttle the excess petrol washes the oil from barrels etc and so increased wear at start up.

Would welcome an informed opinion on the above from lscman etc :confused2
The extended idle before shutdown recommendation applies to turbo cars that can coke (cook) the oil in the turbo. I never heard the cylinder washdown or lube argument. I'm sure some older tech engines got much better cylinder lube action with elevated RPM. I doubt if the blip before shutdown is a significant pro or con...sounds like something my grandpap followed for driving his 1925 Reo Speedwagon or something with manual oilers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lscman knows of what he speaks. Don't let it sit and idle when starting, do let your turbo idle a bit before shutdown.

Lscman said:
Modest increases in engine loading with moderate RPM and additional fuel (throttle) will serve to accelerate the warmup of oil which reduces engine wear. Start the key & drive off. Leaving a cold engine idling in the driveway is not good because it takes much longer to reach operating temps.
Lscman said:
The extended idle before shutdown recommendation applies to turbo cars that can coke (cook) the oil in the turbo. I never heard the cylinder washdown or lube argument. I'm sure some older tech engines got much better cylinder lube action with elevated RPM. I doubt if the blip before shutdown is a significant pro or con...sounds like something my grandpap followed for driving his 1925 Reo Speedwagon or something with manual oilers.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have done all three methods, but for different reasons. I used to blip and shut off my Triumph from time to time so I could hear it backfire before it turned off. When I run the moutains we idle the cars to bleed off excess heat. But finally when I stop my Jetta, I just pull the key to shut it off.
I tried the banana in the tailpipe trick, but I found it was too expensive. I tried the dump the clutch trick, but I blew engine and tranny mounts like crazy. So it was back to the old fashioned turn it off with the key trick. hiha
Lscman said:
The extended idle before shutdown recommendation applies to turbo cars that can coke (cook) the oil in the turbo.
Not to mention the turbo can still be spinning at pretty high rpms, and the lack of oil pressure on shutdown could cook the bearings in the turbo in a heartbeat. Modern cars are better than older cars, but if I happened upon a turbo car anytime soon I would either buy a turbo timer or sit in it for a minute to be safe. That's a practice that I learned in my parents old Volvo Turbo.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Nidan said:
I blip the throttle, just because I like to hear the exhaust rumble:hihi:
I always give it a Blip before shutdown. It brings a smile to the Face, and its like saying Thanks to the Beast, and see you next run.

No mechanical reason for doing it, I just love hearing the Tubi rev. :M5rev:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Usually just let it come to a rest at idle before shutting her down. Ocasionally I might rev her once or twice but the key gets turned counter clockwise when the rpm has settled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts