BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed syncro design works arms and bushings, also have new control arms installed. I have the classic TAB symptom of loose front steering and shudder under light braking below around 50mph.

How much rotation should the thrust arms have? I can rotate them to either stop with my hand when it's up in the air. I don't know what else to check right now but this is driving me crazy. Had the rotors turned a while back and there is no shudder at high speed under light braking like would be with warped or uneven rotors.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Were you noticing the shuddering before installing your new thrust arms or did it just start after your install?

If you noticed the shuddering before the install, I'd imagine some other suspension component could be causing it. Have you changed the other set of front control arms as well?

And did you notice any improvement in the issue with the thrust arm upgrade? Better steering feel?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you torque them while the suspension was loaded?

If you have loose steering have you checked the tie rods, center link, pitman and idler arms for play? Any wheel bearing play?

Why were the rotors turned, and how many miles ago? If they had a run out issue turning them is a only a temporary fix, you can’t get rid of the area you cooked, and as the rest of the rotor wears faster than the hard spot made by overheating the imbalance will slowly return, not saying it’s that but it’s something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If you have monoballs, then you have underlying issues somewhere causing the shimmy during braking.

My usual suspects are brake calipers, rotor runout, pad deposits, drag link, and sometimes tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts